The online racing simulator
Unstable System - Help
(8 posts, started )
Unstable System - Help
Hi,

I have recently put in a Audigy 2 ZS sound card. Since this, the computer will freeze, half the screen will go black.

Also, sometimes when it freezes, it can take me up to 10X to turn it off and press the restart button before it will even begin to boot (read drives in bios)

Could the soundcard be the probem or could it be dodgey drivers or virus??

Thanks

Marsden1002
Quote from marsden1002 :Hi,

I have recently put in a Audigy 2 ZS sound card. Since this, the computer will freeze, half the screen will go black.

Also, sometimes when it freezes, it can take me up to 10X to turn it off and press the restart button before it will even begin to boot (read drives in bios)

Could the soundcard be the probem or could it be dodgey drivers or virus??

Thanks

Marsden1002

Remove the sound card including drivers. See if the problem goes away.
I'm willing to bet that it could be a power issue. If you manage to get into Windows, see if you can get SpeedFan, and check out the voltages and the current; I'll bet with the audigy its dropping.
Just downloaded it, and i get errors when trying to run it.

DOwnload AVG, it says its not a valid win32 application.

I have partitoned my drive into 3, and E (where everything is installed ie windows is now full),

Any ideas as i cannot install any downloaded programs grrrr
If the system isn't even POSTing at times, try moving the sound card to a different slot.

Long story short, some motherboards don't like having sound cards in certain slots. Asus and Abit were nototrious for this.

It's a low level hardware problem for sure. Drivers won't cause your system to fail to POST as they aren't loaded until AFTER POST during the loading of the Windows kernel.

And there are VERY, VERY few viruses that will attack your BIOS (which is software btw. )

More info about your system would also be helpful.
If the drive where you have Windows is installed is full you will have problems... (it can behave rather strangely) especially if the windows swap file happens to be on that drive too
I recommend you uninstall some software (or move some files) quick smart from that drive and reinstall that software to one of your other partitions to make more room...
Pc Specs:Athlon 64 3000+Astock k8v8 (or something like that)1024 no name ram120gb hard driveRemoved the sound card so im going to see if any more problems happen. I thought it was the graphics card was fooked!!ThanksMarsden1002
Quote from marsden1002 :Pc Specs:Athlon 64 3000+Astock k8v8 (or something like that)1024 no name ram120gb hard driveRemoved the sound card so im going to see if any more problems happen. I thought it was the graphics card was fooked!!ThanksMarsden1002

Whats the size (power in Watts) of the PSU?

Im with the angel post 3 ^

Have you been O/clocking this sys?

SD.

Unstable System - Help
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG