The online racing simulator
Jeez I'm so STUPID!!!
(36 posts, started )
#26 - arco
Quote from Riders Motion :What I can say is I used a wheel for the first 7 months of my LFS experience and I kinda regret it.

You say you regret using a wheel?
Quote from AdanteFornax :I'm sorry. I really don't get the point you're trying to make

Do you drive a car in real life with buttons ?

Then don't try to justify using a driving sim with keyboard or mouse !!!!!

peace out

When I play I don't pretent I'm racing in real life. I enjoy it as a simulator, and may eventually get a wheel, simple as that. As far as real racing, I do as much as possible, we get several events at Pocono and Nazareth, ie the Audi Driving Experience, I'm a first timer for that this year. I also drag race, all over the place. I can't say for sure I understand exactly what point it was you didn't understand.
Quote from arco :You say you regret using a wheel?

I believe he says he regrets waiting that long before getting the wheel.
Quote from arco :You say you regret using a wheel?

What? where did you read that?
My cats breath smells like cat food.
#31 - arco
Quote from Riders Motion :What? where did you read that?

Lol! I must have been blind not seeing that big text. Sorry, my fault.
I'm a keyboarder too, (have been since using a membrane keyboard on a Sinclair ZX81) and it took me ages to set up keyboard for LFS to suit my (lack of) driving style.

I use it on Stabilised option, with Steer rate of 42, and return rate of 18.

Someone I met doing predominantly Oval Racing has his set at 20 - 10, which gives much smoother steering, but I found I oversteered. Which is probably why his Oval Hotlaps are slightly faster than mine.

I have to tap tap tap .... (to turn, correct, turn more, correct...), whereas he just does a tap and hold for nice smooth turn.

I've tried using wheel, but I have problems with my feet, in that I can't feel almost anything I stand on, so this gives me real problems when braking. And before you ask, I can't use buttons on wheel to brake / accelerate as hands move position when turning wheel.

Biggest problem I have with keyboard is understeer. Even if someone gave me single seater WR set, I'd probably have to add wing to front and / or take wing off rear. More noticably on FXR/XRR/FZR than any other cars.

Also can't use wheel as don't have space. Our computer desk is in a 2' 2" (650mm) niche between wall and side of stairs. By time you get in thin desk, stool (using stairs as backrest), hardly space for my fat gut, never mind for fitting wheel. (Dog loves it, as she can sit up on the stairs and lick your ears without fear of reprisal).

And my wife gets very annoyed at having to keep removing it so she can get at the computer, and all the trailing wires, and I get annoyed having to re-fit wheel and untangle wires.

Keyboards can be played anywhere; not so wheels.
I think I've gotten as fast as I'll ever get on keyboard, I'm fairly certain. And I know for a fact I can go faster, I know what holds me back, it's all in the input. I guess I have some room for improvement, but I don't think I'll take that, next big step, in this sim until I get a wheel setup. Maybe after I grab a new video card I'll consider it, by then I'll have a wall lenth desk, I'll think of something, or get advise on the board here. Because the computer is used primarily for gaming, but mostly FPS games(quake wars/oblivion/COD etc etc), so I need plenty of space for my mouse and keyboard. Maybe they make a desk with a portion that can swivel, because I assume a wheel would need to be fixed, as in, screwed into place well so not to move. This would be impossible for me.
#34 - Jakg
Wheels have clamps - you can take it off and unplug it and put it in a box in the cupboard in less than 3 minutes if you want.
#35 - arco
@sinanju: If wheels are not an option, you should really try to use the mouse for steering instead of kb. It's much easier to learn, and feels way better. Sure, you can get fast with kb, but to get really fast requires a lot of work. And really really fast keyboarders in LFS can be counted on one hand.
Ehh, I hate using the mouse, I've tried, I can't get a good feel for it. I'm doing good on the keyboard for now. The wheel will come eventually.

Jeez I'm so STUPID!!!
(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG