The online racing simulator
Getting error message: could not open data/skins/xfg_default.jpg [solved]
I believe i know what i did to start getting this message but i was wondering if theres anyway to fix it without redownloading and installing lfs. I copied all of the skins from the skinx folder, deleted all the ones in the regular skin folder and copied the skinx ones into the skin folder. I now get this message whenever i try and open up lfs. Any suggestions?
thnks.
Unzip this into your skins folder.
#3 - ORION
but you didnt delete system folder and renamed system32 to system huh?

Well, the default skins and your own (the ones you can use on your car ingame) are stored in the skins folder, the ones lfs auto-downloaded from lfsworld are stored in the skins_x folder, and you can only see them.

Both the skins and the skins_x folder are required, so dont change anything there.
What you can do is put some non-default skins into the skins_x folder if you dont want to use them, or of course put some from the skins_x folder into the skins one.
Note that many skins are "copyrighted" and may only be used by the authors, specially teamskins. If you want to modify and re-upload a skin you have to contact the autor first and ask him for permission.
There are many public skins, which can be used by anyone.

Or just leave it like it is
Thanks angry angel, and for the info orion. That fixed it. Thanks again.
No worries
hi all, ive got a kind of similar problem with lfs apart from that i started getting "downloaded: XXX_XXX" when playing online but it doesnt load the skin that it has just downloaded so im always getting repeated msg "downloaded XXX_XXX" etc, ive tried emptying the skinx folder but makes no difference, it had a fair couple of thousand skins tho , 2948 if i can remember precise.
im running lfs ver. 0.5p if it helps

thanks

Nate
anyone?
Natej123 :

I can't remember exactly or find the thread but i seem to remember that bug was connected in some way to the helmet textures. It was a bit confusing and no-one knows how to reproduce it.

Maybe someone else can explain it a bit better. I think you can try moving the helmet textures from the skins folder, into some other folder (just for a test) but leave the one you want to use.

But now i feel silly giving that advice because i don't really know if it was anything to do with helmet textures, or if somehow the helmets affect the car textures? We aren't very far into understanding this bug...

One possible solution that could be worth trying would be to move somewhere safe the entire skins folder. Then fill up the skins folder with the skins folder files from the original download zip.

If you do try that and it fixes the problem, please keep the old skins folder safe for a while. Because maybe the contents of that folder on your computer could help us understand the bug - possibly something to do with file dates or read-only files...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG