The online racing simulator
GP2 to replace F08 ?
(42 posts, started )
GP2 to replace F08 ?
As per title.

A little modding could easlily turn the F08 in to a GP2 clone.

Both V8, GP2 is 600bhp rather than 450 and 4ltr rather than 3ltr.

Apart from that they're both 6 speed, have no electronic aids etc

GP2 car specs: http://www.gp2series.com/en//w ... idegp2/about-gp2/our-car/

A small change that might help bring the game a little more up to date? Thoughts?
Why does it need to be 'up to date'? Is a F3000 clone not good enough? Which year of GP2 car would you prefer, and will you complain when they change the mirror design and LFS still uses the sidepod mounted mirrors...?

Just race. Everyone has the same beautifully handling car, so have fun. The 'age' of the car doesn't matter a jot.
Well, why not?! +1 here
the F08 COULD get a aero restyling, maybe a little less straight(wings etc just look so sharp lol)
Yeah, the body of the F08 is not really good looking to be honest, needs some update. No more housepower, only the design should be changed IMO.
Quote from tristancliffe :Why does it need to be 'up to date'? Is a F3000 clone not good enough? Which year of GP2 car would you prefer, and will you complain when they change the mirror design and LFS still uses the sidepod mounted mirrors...?

Just race. Everyone has the same beautifully handling car, so have fun. The 'age' of the car doesn't matter a jot.

Any real reason to take such a confrontational attitude?

Firstly, I'm not complaining. I'm just opening up a discussion. There is a huge difference.
Secondly, I'm not suggesting a pedanticly exact replica, just a tweak which will make the F08 in to a generic GP2 car.
Thirdly and lastly, why does it matter? Well probably because to attract new purchasers you have to have a relatively modern looking product, (unless you're specifically aiming at the retro market). GP2 is current, it's even on mainstream TV, F3000 isn't, (and never was as far as I'm aware). Given that it's such a minor change to the specs of the car, I wouldn't have thought it would be such a big deal for the significant increase in saleability it would give LFS as a product.

Other than that I couldn't care less whether its a F3000 or GP2 clone, I'd enjoy driving either just as much. I'm just trying to give back a little to a game I enjoy by making a constructive suggestion.
Quote from Töki (HUN) :Yeah, the body of the F08 is not really good looking to be honest, needs some update. No more housepower, only the design should be changed IMO.

Quite agree.
I like the FO8's looks how it is

Reminds me of the <2000 F1 cars, which were the best shape imo!
FO8 is good how it is, there's Euroseries 3000 which uses F3000 machinery IRL. A GP2-style car would be nice, but there would be little difference. If we want a new slicks + wings single seater, either a ChampCar or IRL type thing would probably be more unique.
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :I like the FO8's looks how it is

Reminds me of the <2000 F1 cars, which were the best shape imo!

+1 leave it the way it is now.. and if they should change it, ALL skins currently made for the F08 are useless..

So overall, a -1 for the GP2 change from me
Quote from duke_toaster :FO8 is good how it is, there's Euroseries 3000 which uses F3000 machinery IRL. A GP2-style car would be nice, but there would be little difference. If we want a new slicks + wings single seater, either a ChampCar or IRL type thing would probably be more unique.

True, however it was purely because they were so similar that I thought of the swap. A bit of a case of something for nothing was what I was thinking. Won't really make any difference to people already playing the game, but might make a difference to whom it attracts.

I agree an american style Indy car would be interesting too.
WTF! The FO8 is the best looking car in LFS!

and its FO8 (letter O) not F08 (number 0)

And no the FO8 does not need changing. It is good how it is now.
Different people, different way of thinking and style.
#14 - aoun
The FO8 is the best looking SS car in LFS IMO. I think maybe a touch around the engine and read, but dont dare anything at the front. Even leave it how it is, i dont think it needs any touch at all. Other then the FZ5, its the best looking, sounding, feeling car in the game.
Quote from tristancliffe :Why does it need to be 'up to date'? Is a F3000 clone not good enough? Which year of GP2 car would you prefer, and will you complain when they change the mirror design and LFS still uses the sidepod mounted mirrors...?

The age does matter, the last F3000 cars were much more attractive than the GP2 cars.

Quote from gezmoor :GP2 is current, it's even on mainstream TV, F3000 isn't, (and never was as far as I'm aware).

GP2 took over the F3000 TV slot
the only thing i hate about the FO8 is its shape.
its a bit.. well .. too boxy
Quote from NSX_FReeDoM :the only thing i hate about the FO8 is its shape.
its a bit.. well .. too boxy

hm.. i agree.. but i like it this way..

F3000? To me its more like an Renault World Series car.
I think the boxy shape makes it look like a F3K. Besides, the engine is a 3 litre V8 as opposed to a 3.5 (?) V6.
Quote from Bumpdrafter :F3000? To me its more like an Renault World Series car.

It has got a 3 litre V8, very similar in character to the Judd engine used in the last F3000 cars and the chassis looks just like the Lolas. The Renaults don't look the same and have a completely different engine.
#21 - aoun
Does it really matter?
Quote : Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe
Why does it need to be 'up to date'? Is a F3000 clone not good enough? Which year of GP2 car would you prefer, and will you complain when they change the mirror design and LFS still uses the sidepod mounted mirrors...?

Any real reason to take such a confrontational attitude?

IMHO... he is allways with this attitude... anyway, I think FO8 need a more modern look, like a gp2 car, it doesn´t matter the year of gp2 .

+1
Would be great if only the engine would be updated, it looks great, but is very underused.
#24 - JJ72
It is fine as it is.

for us people glowing up in the late 80's/ early 90's we are pretty used to single seaters with a more basic bodywork design, it's not "retro", just that for quite a long while racing car designs are not as fancy in nowadays, it's form over function, not form over style. I think it's good we have such a car, it's rather special. And it is a rather strange idea that people complain about the looks of a racing car....since racing cars are not designed to look good, when asthetics become a design goal then the purity of a racing car is lost, at least imo.

and about the OP stating we could make a GP2 clone out of the FO8.....I don't know how you are going to do that. the GP2 will have a different dimension, different suspension geometry, different engine and different bodywork, basically nothing can be carried over so it's a car starting from scratch. Unless you want a half arsed look alike..which I don't think is what most LFSers will look forward to, if we are getting a GP2 clone then it's going to be based on real GP2 parameters.
I like the FO8 as it is, it offers a great challenge and is very rewarding to master. Sure it isn't absolutely modern looking, but I think it looks better than most formula cars today.

GP2 to replace F08 ?
(42 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG