The online racing simulator
Tire temps in F°
(23 posts, started )
Tire temps in F°
Is there a way to tell the game to display the tire temps display via F9 in something Americans understand? I'm used to monitoring my CPU in celcius but I would like the tire temps to be in Farehnheit.

Thanks
Nope, but those colors should tell a lot. And if you know the optimal is 90 degrees for example it doesnt matter really what unit it is. But as LFS wants to suit everyone it might be good to add farenhaits..if its possible. Silly measurment I think. We need option to use kelvins too
#3 - bbman
I imagine, some guys would be really puzzled when the look at green tires that are 340° hot...
...and Kelvin too! Don't need a silly degree symbol then (not that there is one anyway).
-
(Ingolf) DELETED by Ingolf
lol who needs kelvin? its the same as celsius just with 273 added to it

ferenheit would be nice though.. i dont like doing the math .. what is it again, 9/5*(temp+32) or something like that?
hehe.. had a feeling Bob will post in this topic......

i myself never underdstood Farenheit... i come from Metric Europe but i agree for sum ppl F are a way of life so i dont see why they shouldn't be added.....

but kelvin...!! thats just silly!! only for physics geeks!! cough cough Bob

mad
#7 - Mc21
Just do this.

Get your temp in C°

-32 -> x5 -> divide by 9.

That should give your temp in F°
LOL, if I could just do that in my head there wouldn't be a problem. The truth is I suck at math. My cranium is more on the creative side. So, here's a creative idea - maybe someone with a math oriented brain could write a little plugin that could display the temps in F for me in game.. :-0
Quote from joeynuggetz :LOL, if I could just do that in my head there wouldn't be a problem. The truth is I suck at math. My cranium is more on the creative side. So, here's a creative idea - maybe someone with a math oriented brain could write a little plugin that could display the temps in F for me in game.. :-0

Oh, come on. You can't be serious. The temps could be shown in made-up units and it wouldn't matter. Red is bad green is good. illepall
C is better than F in many ways, it is more universally used, and I wouldn't care to see the developers waste 10 seconds on this issue. Besides, what does displaying it in F mean anyway? You are only looking for a number that corresponds, does it really matter if that number is 212°F for boiling or 100°C?

Just so you can relate...
0°C is a moderately cold day. Water will freeze
15°C is a mild day.
20°C is a warm day
30°C is a hot day
40°C is Arizona hot
50°C is Death Valley hot
100°C is great for a lobster
Quote from Hallen :0°C is a moderately cold day. Water will freeze

-20°C is moderately cold
Quote from Huru-aito :-20°C is moderately cold

hehe, maybe moderately cold for Finland in the winter, but -20 C is cccccold for where I live (west coast of Canada). 'Course, being near the ocean helps moderate the temps a LOT.

By the way, just to screw you up a little, -40 C and -40 F are the same temperature... howzzat for messing with ya?

(and yes, I have been in those temperatures,,, and colder... which has something to do with why I live here now.)
#12 - Gunn
Quote from Hallen :The temps could be shown in made-up units and it wouldn't matter.

I agree. You don't look at your tyre temps and say "hmmm, sixty degrees, that would be the same as, oh lets' see, mid-morning on the Sahara...", you still need to learn the tyres limits regardless of the unit of measurement. Sixty degrees Scawcius would still do the job as good as sixty degrees Celcius.
Quote from Kencan :hehe, maybe moderately cold for Finland in the winter, but -20 C is cccccold for where I live (west coast of Canada). 'Course, being near the ocean helps moderate the temps a LOT.

By the way, just to screw you up a little, -40 C and -40 F are the same temperature... howzzat for messing with ya?

(and yes, I have been in those temperatures,,, and colder... which has something to do with why I live here now.)

OT I used to live out there. Nanaimo actually.... Is that you on a forklift? Is it turbocharged ?

One could argue that degrees F would be more accurate since it's a greater resolution scale (than C) so as long as whole numbers are used it would be more accurate. But who cares
Quote from Gunn :I agree. You don't look at your tyre temps and say "hmmm, sixty degrees, that would be the same as, oh lets' see, mid-morning on the Sahara...", you still need to learn the tyres limits regardless of the unit of measurement. Sixty degrees Scawcius would still do the job as good as sixty degrees Celcius.

Whilst this may be true, this argument can be taken further and then I doubt everyone would agree.... The same can be said for boost pressure, and RPM and Speed.... We could have them all in some bizarre ficticious unit and "still have to learn the limits of the vehicle" but noone could relate to it, which is the point to begin with here. He relates to a particular scale he's accustomed too and therefore it would immerse him more of he could see temps in his native unit....
Quote from Madman_CZ :i myself never underdstood Farenheit... i come from Metric Europe but i agree for sum ppl F are a way of life so i dont see why they shouldn't be added.....

What would really mess you up is when you work in the technical department in manufacturing over here and everything in the plant is half and half. People ask me what temps I run my reactor at. I say 165 degrees. Then they are like, wow, I thought it would be hotter than that, is that all it is? Ah, no, not 165 degrees F like the parts oven is, 165 degrees C. Well how hot is that? Go touch it with your tongue, you'll find out!

Quote :By the way, just to screw you up a little, -40 C and -40 F are the same temperature... howzzat for messing with ya?

Now that's interesting. I never new that. Never really thought about what point the temps units would cross.
#16 - Gunn
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :Whilst this may be true, this argument can be taken further and then I doubt everyone would agree.... The same can be said for boost pressure, and RPM and Speed.... We could have them all in some bizarre ficticious unit and "still have to learn the limits of the vehicle" but noone could relate to it, which is the point to begin with here. He relates to a particular scale he's accustomed too and therefore it would immerse him more of he could see temps in his native unit....

Boost pressure values mean nothing to me at all. They don't effect how I race. RPMs too, I just use the red line. It wouldn't matter if the redline was at 8000 or 28000 rpms, the timing of the gear change is important. In game I can call up the distance I've travelled (from LFS World) and it is not in Kilometers it is in Miles. But it doesn't matter, they are just numbers. The same can be said for any value, suspensions rates, tyre pressures etc. I certainly won't be holding the LFS measurements up to the real life ones for comparison, who has time during a race to ponder these things?

Suggesting farenheit measurements on the basis of familiarity is fine, but the point Hallen was making is that for racing purposes it is not important what measure is used. I was agreeing, and still do.
When my Dad was a project manager at Lotus, one of his 'men' had the habit of only ever using bizarre and obscure units for everything. Every report, or letter, or offical document he had to prepare was done in silly units - for example, instead of mph he'd use furlongs per fortnight. It was quite funny (apparently), and he'd normally hide the sensible figures at the back of the report.
Quote from tristancliffe :furlongs per fortnight

I just pissed myself laughing at that I think that would be an ideal unit we should all start using
Quote from the_angry_angel :I just pissed myself laughing at that

Indeedy
Quote from Gunn :I certainly won't be holding the LFS measurements up to the real life ones for comparison, who has time during a race to ponder these things?

This could explain my lap times

Quote from Gunn :Suggesting farenheit measurements on the basis of familiarity is fine, but the point Hallen was making is that for racing purposes it is not important what measure is used. I was agreeing, and still do.

I can see your point, and I do sort of agree fundamentally speaking... But for some reason, to me personally it wouldn't feel right with whacky units. Glancing at the speedo and seeing some number that I don't deal with everyday (even MPH decreases immersion for me as I use KMH IRL) makes the overall experience less beleivable to me.
#21 - Gunn
Quote from Ball Bearing Turbo :
I can see your point, and I do sort of agree fundamentally speaking... But for some reason, to me personally it wouldn't feel right with whacky units. Glancing at the speedo and seeing some number that I don't deal with everyday (even MPH decreases immersion for me as I use KMH IRL) makes the overall experience less beleivable to me.

I'm not suggesting we use whacky units. The topic starter admits that he has become accustomed to using Celcius for his CPU monitoring. We may assume he "understands" the range in which the CPU functions normally, using the Celcius values as a measure. So even though Celcius is not what he uses for everyday living, he has learnt how to apply that range to the task at hand. Similarly, in LFS we can learn miles or kilometres or pounds and kilograms, litres and gallons etc; and become proficient at gauging our car's vital functions.

So making Farenheit available on the tyre temp HUD becomes a personal preference, which is fine in my book. It may even help some people with immersion and reality while sim racing. But it isn't any different in functionality than any other measure.
Our topic-starter, joeynuggetz, asks for a system that Americans understand. The point I make is that he already understands how to use Celcius as a measure of his CPU temperature range and so using Celcius to measure the range of his tyre temperature is no different. So to satisfy his question about understanding tyre temps using the data provided (Celcius) I say that he already understands. I use miles and not kilometres in LFS, which is contrary to my education and local custom. Like joeynuggetz, I have applied the foreign increments of measurement and learned the range that the numbers relate to. It doesn't take long to adopt the foreign system because it is just a range of values that fit into the range of the action (trye temp range).

joeynuggetz goes on to say "I would like the tire temps to be in Farehnheit". He would like them to be in Farenheit. I agree that it may be nice for people who are used to Farenheit. I have attempted to answer his question about understanding the Celcius range for tyre temps and I support his view about Farenheit being perhaps more immersive and realistic for him.

I believe I have now explained myself as fully as will ever be neccessary to rule out any confusion about my understanding of the topic.
At the end of the day, I don't suppose it'd be hard to program in a conversion or two and an option in LFS to choose. Then more people are happier, and LFS is slightly stronger.

I use celcius, but I can understand people would want to use farenheit.
Quote from Gunn :I believe I have now explained myself as fully as will ever be neccessary to rule out any confusion about my understanding of the topic.

ROFL

Indeed

:boing:

Tire temps in F°
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG