The online racing simulator
IFDS - Good Idea Check
This is a concept for a league I plan to do sometime later this year. I have never run a league before, so all this is what I would plan to do.

The question I ask you, the racers, is "is this what you would expect from a league?"

As in, would you expect more detail, different rules, no ballast, different cars, or what? What you say could influence the series depending on what I think. Basically, I'm looking for advice.

Any help would be appreciated

Here it is:

IFDS

The International Front Driven Series - Can you handle the front?

Day/Time: To be decided
Car: FXO
Tracks:
Aston North - 4 Laps - 8 Laps
Fern Bay Green - 9 Laps - 18 Laps
Aston Club - 10 Laps - 20 Laps
South City Chicane R - 9 Laps - 18 Laps
Kyoto National Reverse - 6 Laps - 12 Laps

Race Format:
The weekend starts with a 25 minute qualifying session to decide the grid for race 1 - a short 12 minute sprint.
The results of the sprint race define the starting grid of the second race, a longer 25 minute race. However, the top 10-15 positions will be reversed for the grid of the second race. This means a random draw will be made before the start of race 2, deciding how many cars will be reversed. For example, if the number 13 is drawn, the top 13 finishers of race 1 will start in reverse order, and everyone from 14th onwards will start in the same order they finished.

Points System:
Example scoresheet
The top 10 drivers will receive points - 2 more in race 1 than in race 2.

Race 1
1st - 17
2nd - 14
3rd - 12
4th - 10
5th - 8
6th - 7
7th - 6
8th - 5
9th - 4
10th- 3

Race 2
1st - 15
2nd - 12
3rd - 10
4th - 8
5th - 6
6th - 5
7th - 4
8th - 3
9th - 2
10th- 1

An extra 2 points are awarded for pole position in race 1.
An extra 1 point is awarded for Fastest lap in both race 1 and 2.
An extra 1 point is awarded to anyone who leads either race for at least one lap, except for the winner of either race.

<to be decided>
Ballast:
This series will give ballast to those who are the most successful.
In qualifying and race 1 of the event, ballast is given in the order of the championship standings. This means that the first race of the series will have no ballast at all.
BALLAST MUST BE CARRIED IN QUALIFYING.
In race 2, ballast is given in the finishing order of race 1.

Postion Ballast
1st 17kg
2nd 14kg
3rd 12kg
4th 10kg
5th 9kg
6th 8kg

Score drops:
Your 2 worst race scores will be dropped - this accounts for one weekend of being away or just 2 really bad races.
</to be decided>

General Conduct Rules
Everyone participating must have Ventrilo and must be connected to the server so they can be contacted during the race. Talking on Ventrilo during the race is forbidden. Anyone caught and recognised to be talking in the race will be given a 10 second time penalty to their race result.
Text chat in LFS is allowed. It is up to those who are racing to block messages. Most admin talk will be done in Ventrilo.

Any driving that is deemed to be dangerous, such as blocking the track, going the wrong way and sitting upside down on track will result in the disqualification of the racer, and possibly more serious concequenses depending on the case.

Anyone who has been the victim of an incident must report it to the admin of the event within 48 hours of the event taking place, reporting where and when the incident happened, and who to look at. A decision based upon general accepted racing standards will be made. Penalties will either be time penalties or postion penalties, and even disqualification.

When the grid for Race 2 is being formed, you will be notified to join via Ventrilo. If you fail to join within 15 seconds of your name being called, you will be relegated to the back of the grid. If you fail to join at all, you cannot join mid-race, even from the pitlane on lap 1.

Suggested Ideas:
Point for 2xPodium in a weekend
Blackwood
Westhill
#2 - Bean0
Everything you have mentioned above seems like it has the making of a good league.

Edit: No Blackwood ? It's the heart of LFS, maybe reversed config just for a change.
FWD, ballast, 2nd race with reversed grid... sound's like you're a wtcc fanboy

The score drops are also a good idea. I could race in a league like this. I'm just not sure how I can cope with the FXO
Quote from Bean0 :

Edit: No Blackwood ? It's the heart of LFS, maybe reversed config just for a change.

Ha, you noticed

I thought people were bored of that track. I am, personally, not bored of it. We'll see what everyone else thinks
I'm interested, Do you need a hand, like admins, sc driver, if not i'd probably race in this series.
In terms of admin, I would enlist the help of my team members (if they love me enough).
Well I'm interested, so if this is finalised can you pm me?
Nice planning there

You can add 1 more point for whom reached the podium twice in the weekend's sprint and main race.
Also asking to add westhill track.

Try to get some sponsors, and to broadcast the league live

I am in

thx
Quote from Ihab Abbas :
Nice planning there

You can add 1 more point for whom reached the podium twice in the weekend's sprint and main race.
Also asking to add westhill track.

Try to get some sponsors, and to broadcast the league live

I am in

thx

Well... I don't know about Westhill - I didn't enjoy it when I raced TBO there a few weeks ago, but I may decide to add it.

Adding a point for those who made the podium is a very good idea! That way, it shows that you have done well to come from the reverse grid to do well.
Quote from SilverArrows77 :All looks great and looks like you have a solid foundation for the league

Only advice id give, after just having done the first round of oneGP, is be sure to have event rules worked out well, and in detail, beforehand as you will be surprised by some of the things that come up after first race. This happened with oneGP to a certain extent and with a previous league i have be involved in running for AirAttack.

Feel free to grab the oneGP basic rule set and adjust to your needs if it helps - i will be having to do some updates to it myself after some issues were brought up after round one.

Depending on the time and day, i wouldnt mind having a go at this series you are planning

Thanks for that rule set - it is very adaptable and makes a lot of sense. I'll be sure to credit you when I use those rules.
I have now added an example Excel Spreadsheet that calculates scores for the series. http://www.mediafire.com/?ogefgy02yy0

Also, I have made a slight addition to the rules:

"Score drops:
Your 2 worst race scores will be dropped - this accounts for one weekend of being away or just 2 really bad races. If there are a number of equal low scores, the low score that occured first will be dropped. If the championship is a tie, the number of non-dropped wins will be counted. If the score is still a tie it will be based on 2nd positions, 3rds, pole positions and fastest laps."

My next question is - when I decide to start the league, where would I advertise it? Here, yes, general discussion?
Quote from SilverArrows77 :

Do you have plans for a site to support the league?

I'm not sure. It depends whether it would greatly increase the attention of the league. I mean, a league forum in the LFS forum seems to work for a lot of leagues but I guess if you want that professional edge you need to have some kind of website.
I think the ballast rule should come in to effect on round 2 rather then round 1 race 2.

The winner of the race might have had a good run but the person in second was clearly faster but ran into a few problems.

I dont know just keep the round 1 ballast free and see how it goes.
Quote from AstroBoy :I think the ballast rule should come in to effect on round 2 rather then round 1 race 2.

The winner of the race might have had a good run but the person in second was clearly faster but ran into a few problems.

I dont know just keep the round 1 ballast free and see how it goes.

I don't understand your point - if somebody wins, it means that they were probably the best driver in that race, thus they should have the most ballast!
Quote from Mp3 Astra :I don't understand your point - if somebody wins, it means that they were probably the best driver in that race, thus they should have the most ballast!

But then again they start last? So maybe they should have less ballast :P

Anyways, great idea, seems very well organized so far.
I MIGHT be interusted depending on date/time.
Quote from evilpimp :But then again they start last? So maybe they should have less ballast :P

The fact that they start last gives them the chance to lose their ballast!
I will be announcing official details for the league soon, so keep your eyes open!
It was a good idea that I would have liked to WIN the series... ok since all other drivers forfeit I win by default!
- BUMP -

Yea, that took a lot of might to bump this one...

But a good idea would have been to have posted the official results... Anyways. Would there be interest in doing this again?
Win

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG