The online racing simulator
Replay controls : avoiding interference with HUD
(33 posts, closed, started )

Poll : What do you think is the best way to avoid replay controls overlapping the HUD?

Like Y19 but only show controls if the mouse pointer is over the controls
Combination of the above, move HUD up and show controls when mouse moves
Show replay controls all the time with HUD moved up a little to avoid overlap
As in Y19 : Remove HUD and show replay controls for 2 seconds when mouse moves
Sounds good - maybe after starting the replay show the replay controls for 5-10 seconds before hiding it, just so it is clear where they are located.
I think the current plan will address most ppl's concerns
im all for the 4th option... its what youd expect a time bar to do from video players in full screen mode
and i like the idea of drawing it opaque and on top of everything as if it wasnt part of the replay
Quote from Scawen :Well, my current plan is this :
(plan)

Everything looks OK to me. The only thing I would add is something to announce that there are replay controls when you move the mouse to the bottom, so you just don't have to discover that feature by randomly moving the mouse - this is meant for new users. Maybe a chat message generated automatically with "drag mouse to the bottom for replay controls" or something like that.
Quote from MaKaKaZo :Maybe a chat message generated automatically with "drag mouse to the bottom for replay controls" or something like that.

i like androids idea of having the controls show up for the default time it takes for them to disappear again when the replay starts (works better than having them disappear instantly whenever you move the mouse away from them ever so slightly)

maybe add a scrolling in and out effect to make it clear where they went
+1 AndroidsXP's idea will help notify ppl where the replay controls are when the replay starts and that they are available and wont need nagging chat messages etc. A picture paints 1000 words.

edit: beaten by Shotgass

This is great stuff added into LFS BTW
#32 - FL!P
OK, thanks for your comments and votes on this subject. We'll see how it goes in patch Y18. The current plan is basically "option 4" but without the positions / connections lists disappearing, and that got the most votes so it looks like the best thing to try.

I'll close this thread now.
This thread is closed

Replay controls : avoiding interference with HUD
(33 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG