The online racing simulator
Buying S2
(35 posts, started )
Buying S2
I didnt know where to put this, if in Beginner's,Technical Assitance, i dont know. If it's the wrong section, Mods feel free to move it.

Well, i want to buy another S2 License, since i didnt buy this one (I won it) I was playing around with the payment thingy, and i need a card, paypal and the other option.
I went for the card, and i asked mom if i could but she didnt want because she's afraid that the card can be "cloned" (Common business in Mexico). My question is, im at risk buying from there, or it's completely safe?

Thanks
Silly question as thousands of people have bought S2 licences without any problems at all

I bought my licence using PayPal, but I bought a 2nd licence using my card and I have had no problems at all...
Quote from The General Lee :Silly question as thousands of people have bought S2 licences without any problems at all

I bought my licence using PayPal, but I bought a 2nd licence using my card and I have had no problems at all...

I know is silly, but mom's issues :/
The business goes through your credit card company straight to LFS, so as long as your computer is free of nasty programs like keyloggers and worms, nothing bad can happen.
I would recommend get a paypal and run the CC through that.... its the best way IMO Paypal have very good encryption, I had the SAME issues with my mom, if she has visa, and u use paypal visa insures it, and if someone is daft enough to use the stolen info, it logs their IP and boom, arrested and money = back in your hands..
LFS developers doesn't even get your card details, only the money. The only company who handle your card details is Protx, an accredited payment service provider, they handle your data with great security, the page is highly encrypted. As BullHorn says you only have to make sure you don't have any nasty progs running in the background. I bought S1 voucher a few month ago with my card and nothing bad happened .
#7 - Ian.H
Quote from chanoman315 :I didnt know where to put this, if in Beginner's,Technical Assitance, i dont know. If it's the wrong section, Mods feel free to move it.

Well, i want to buy another S2 License, since i didnt buy this one (I won it) I was playing around with the payment thingy, and i need a card, paypal and the other option.
I went for the card, and i asked mom if i could but she didnt want because she's afraid that the card can be "cloned" (Common business in Mexico). My question is, im at risk buying from there, or it's completely safe?

Thanks

I'm quite draconian in what I buy online (pretty much domain names and that's it).. but I've paid 5 times in total through LFS and never had a problem

I can understand your Mum's concern, but IIRC, LFS uses ProtX which isn't AFAIK based in Mexico (point being that it might be common practice there unfortunately, but _very_ unlikely to happen in this case).

I'd be happy to use my card details through the LFS payment system again without concern

Regards,

Ian
#8 - Ian.H
Quote from BullHorn :The business goes through your credit card company straight to LFS, so as long as your computer is free of nasty programs like keyloggers and worms, nothing bad can happen.

That isn't strictly true. I've done some work for a large online payment processing company (much like paypal) previously and was horrified to be allowed a local copy of their entire customer database (250,000+ entries), every one having a plaintext password and the only questions I got asked before being given the contract was 'where do you live?' and 'how old are you?'. The company is based in the US, I live in the UK.. could have been some fun for them if I wasn't an honest fella

That said, I'm pretty sure this isn't the case for many of these types of companies.

Regards,

Ian
Quote from chanoman315 :I went for the card, and i asked mom if i could but she didnt want because she's afraid that the card can be "cloned" (Common business in Mexico).

If you are worried about credit card fraud then you should not use it in shops / restaurants, etc.

If you buy from a person or website you know is trustworthy, there is no problem.

The problem about the internet is when your card details have been stolen already (most likely not from a reputable internet shop) then the internet is an easy place for the thief to use your card. So, no danger in buying things on the internet, if you trust the site you are entering yoiur details, that is more safe than using your card in a shop.
And to add, Protx (as you know by know, that is our payment gateway / card processor) has been investing millions into network security over the passed years. You can pretty much throw anything at them and they'll just continue working. Hackers have been known to target Protx, but failed because their network is just too big and secured with the very latest routing / firewalling hardware.
Therefore it's quite safe to say that Protx is trustworthy when it comes to processing and storing your card details (which are encrypted and stored offline btw and not on computers that are directly connected to the internet).
And we as LFS don't see your full card details. We only see a small portion of them, like your name on the card and the last 4 digits of your card number. That's it. Not enough for people to use your card online.

Not much more to add - everything else has been said. Like Scawen said - using your card in normal physical shops is much riscier. In fact, what I do is hide my security code at the back of my cards. They don't need that in physical shops, so they don't need to know. And that protects you from them stealing your card info. If they complain you've hidden that code, you just don't use your card in that shop.
And a personal reply from 2/3 of the entire develpment team - what other community could offer that?
Quote from Victor :And we as LFS don't see your full card details. We only see a small portion of them, like your name on the card and the last 4 digits of your card number. That's it. Not enough for people to use your card online.

guess you know my dads name then. Internet shopping is as safe as going into any old store maybe even safer. the government in this country on the other hand lost a laptop with child benifits info on it.
Still there's the Keylogers problem.

Protx might be hackproof, most of people's computers are not.

It would be better if the website could use something similar to what my bank uses to input your code. Some kind of virtual keybord (only with numbers) appears on the screen so that you can click the number and not type them. The number position changes all the time.
[OT] Government security is an absolute piss-take lol...The Irish and British government, between them they lost countless amounts of court mail, military laptops (with all of the new recruits info), child benefit laptops (which has NO security on it apparently, not even a bloody windows login password!), etc. They should go to a third party such as Protx, and get them to look after the countries info...I'd feel safer then [/OT]
Quote from Maelstrom :Still there's the Keylogers problem.

Protx might be hackproof, most of people's computers are not.

It would be better if the website could use something similar to what my bank uses to input your code. Some kind of virtual keybord (only with numbers) appears on the screen so that you can click the number and not type them. The number position changes all the time.

this is a simple thing... use any virtual keyboard and write down your credit card number on notepad with it. then simply copy/paste it and all is fine (for more safety place a few more spaces (i.e. make 2 number blocks instead of the 4 number blocks) in the number that noone can see if its a credit card number).

more safely than credit cards isn`t possible, because all transactions are insured
Quote from Trekkerfahrer :this is a simple thing... use any virtual keyboard and write down your credit card number on notepad with it. then simply copy/paste it and all is fine (for more safety place a few more spaces (i.e. make 2 number blocks instead of the 4 number blocks) in the number that noone can see if its a credit card number).

more safely than credit cards isn`t possible, because all transactions are insured

Well that's right but still it can be annoying to lose (even temporary) some money. It happened to me for something like 300 euros and it tooks me 1 month and a half to get my money back and some other complaints toward my banker cause they forget to refund me the interests paid for the overdraft it created.

And for the notepad thing unless you're able to encrypt what is stored in the memory during the copy/past it can also be loged.
Assuming it's only a keyboard logger, just type it backwards and then use cut/paste to re-arrange it. If you want to be completely anal about it that is I personally know how virus-free my PC is, and have no worries typing in a credit card number into a trusted site...
one other thing: i bought several licenses for friends there with my credit card. and if you have an actual virus scanner (avg etc.) and periodic adware scans (ad aware etc.) the risk is very low that there are key loggers on your computer.
what's the billing adress, i cant find it on the card .. neither the billing zip code
it's the address your card's bills are sent to (and zip code) (probably your home address) (however, that's only relevant for UK payments - international payments must leave the address and zip fields untouched)
Quote from Victor :it's the address your card's bills are sent to (and zip code) (probably your home address) (however, that's only relevant for UK payments - international payments must leave the address and zip fields untouched)

EDIT: I can now, thanks. Though the bank wont let me buy it,
if you need more help I'd suggest mailing us though our website, rather than a public conversaion about your payment process.
Quote from Victor :if you need more help I'd suggest mailing us though our website, rather than a public conversaion about your payment process.

EDIT: Mail sent
with account ChanoFastest
Don't think so, My big cousin is gonna buy it too for me. He said that it was safe.

Cousin= Takumi_Lfs
why would someone want more than one LFS account?

Buying S2
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG