The online racing simulator
A Better Demo (Please)
(183 posts, started )
Quote from shashdev :Yeah, I already have the money. That is no problem at all. It is my parents not letting me buy it. They think that is too much to spend on a game! It really sucks!

My 8 year old has his regular chores around the house. If I want him to do something outside of those regular chores then I usually pay him at my discretion. He can spend that money on anything he wants. I believe I'm teaching him the value of money this way. That is just my stance. I can't tell your parents how to raise you so that's a moot point.

So I will just tell you what my parents used to tell me - when you're 18 you can do whatever you want, until then you live by our rules.

If your parents won't let you get it then respect their wishes. If you have to have it, try contributing to the game some other way. Make insim apps, make skins, build websites. You could even join in the voucher competition. There are a lot of generous people here, help them out and maybe, just maybe they will help you out.
my opinion: all demo racers move your *censored*, use your credit card to buy this *censored* awesome simulator

just kidding

i think for a demo you get very much. lfs has a very good cost benefit value when i think that most games costs 60 € in every game stores and lfs is with 36€ an awesome deal.

last thing i want to say: you want more content? buy it!
Skippy: Words including wisdom.

And yes, you can earn a license multiple ways. Here is one way.
Quote from shashdev :Blah Blah Blah...

You know what...you're very lucky to have 2 track BL1 and BL2 and 3 cars xfg,xrg,fbm on some demo its 1 car 1 track if you want more car just buy a licence!

Quote from shashdev : I have to money to buy the license. My parents just won't let me spend $47 on a game. They say I would just be wasting my money. Looks like I will be in the demo for some time.

Have you a bank account?? if yes get a verified paypal account put 50$ on it and then buy S2..simple huh!

it'll take 5 buisness day to your money to be on your paypal account..it has been like that for me thought!
Quote from Gekkibi :Skippy: Words including wisdom.

And yes, you can earn a license multiple ways. Here is one way.

Yes, I found that earlier before I made this topic. But I cannot race in the FBM. I can only get laptimes of around 1:23. And I have seen some of the people on the demo. They would completely obliterate me in the qualification rounds. Now, if you plan on doing some XFG competition in the future, look out for me! In the short few days I have been racing there online, I have gotten my laptimes in the 1:36's range. My best laptime is actually 1:35:53!!! So, I won't be in this competition. Is there any chance of there being future competitions with the XFG maybe, or is that not a possibility?
Everything is possible. However, FBM requires more talent and skill than XRG and XFG put together. That is why I use it in the competition.

I haven't decided if I make another competition in the future. And no, I haven't decided the car or track.
Quote from Gekkibi :Everything is possible. However, FBM requires more talent and skill than XRG and XFG put together. That is why I use it in the competition.

I haven't decided if I make another competition in the future. And no, I haven't decided the car or track.

Or not. I have both good times with xfg and fbm and imo the diff between talent required from the 2 is not that great. I know you can say "you can get closer to the WR much faster with xfg". That's true, but that's because XFG is easier to learn. Just try to do some 29.8x 1st splits with xfg and some 2nd splits of 52:8x and lower and tell me if it doesn't require as much skill as doing a lap at 1:12x.

Besides the FBM WR 1st curve is a bit weird. That drift he made at T1 that takes like 0.3s is unrealistic. Without that spin, there are a lot of drivers very close to the WR.

Sorry for the offtopic.
Quote from Bob Smith :From another standand point, if you play the demo and DON'T want any more cars, then either the LFS demo is certainly too content rich, or you're not interested in sim-racing.

I think the demo has (had...RIP XRT) enough content for casual players to be entertained for years.
On the other hand the community and involvement of the devs, test patches process and suggestions show you, demo user, that LFS is a unique product. Just go ahead and read a few of Scawen's posts to realise it fully.
You should not buy a license to access more content but to repay the dev team for the fun you had and will have. That is your way to support the community and become an active part of it.
Thanks for reading
You may get 2,06% of the total content, but you pay 0%. Therefore you have no reason to complain.

You also seem to forget that, even though the XRT was removed, you got a single seater in return.
Quote from hrtburnout :You also seem to forget that, even though the XRT was removed, you got a single seater in return.

Indeed. Even I don't like S-S's, it was one reason I bought the license. It opened my eyes that LFS truly is a racing simulator. I try to avoid all S-S's on other simulators as well. Only formula simulator I have played was Grand Prix on Amiga500.
Quote from Gekkibi :Everything is possible. However, FBM requires more talent and skill than XRG and XFG put together. That is why I use it in the competition.

It's just a thing with the setup. I made the FBM easier to drive than the XFG actually...
I think the FBM is easier to drive than the XFG by default.
Quote from shashdev :
If we get the XRT, we will have 4 cars out of 20, right? So:
4/20 = 20%

Also, we get one track out of seven tracks, right? In these tracks, we get three variations out of twenty-nine, right? So:
3/29 ~ 10.34%

So, using basic math, to get the percent of the game we would have, we just take the first percent (percent of cars) and the second percent (percent of track variations) and multiply them together. So:
.2 x .1034 = 2.06%

With all other variables let out, this still isn't right.

20% + 10% = 30 out of 200 = 15%...

And you get the physics and all too. You can even use S2 setups, save replays.. Without paying! Just buy S2 to have all the fun...
Quote from zeugnimod :I think the FBM is easier to drive than the XFG by default.

Well, it's probably more stable. But it understeers so much (by default) I'm not sure I'd call it easy to drive.
You get unlimited time on 3 cars and a track and free online play... I think that's very generous for a demo, in fact it's pretty much a free game on its own. If you want more content then pay for it.

Also, I agree... I think the FBM is easier to drive, probably the easiest car for me. It just sticks perfectly, very stable and doesn't really have enough power to spin the rears
Quote from Bob Smith :Well, it's probably more stable. But it understeers so much (by default) I'm not sure I'd call it easy to drive.

If the FBM's setup options were realistic, you wouldn't even be able to get rid of the huge front ARB that causes the understeer.
Quote from AndroidXP :If the FBM's setup options were realistic, you wouldn't even be able to get rid of the huge front ARB that causes the understeer.

It's not that huge. It's the tiny rear ARB that causes the problem, and IIRC the front springs are over stiff. Or at least in LFS, since Scawen seems to have forgotten to take motion ratios into account when setting the wheel rates in LFS (hence the RAC is massively over sprung, and the MRT is quite stiff too).
I will never understand how people can use the demo for days or longer!

After one day with the demo i knew its worth the little money and bought it the next day!

Where is the problem?

I would even do it like rFactor. The Demo for an hour, maybe two and then stop the possibility to use.
But i would agree with make it possible to drive the smallest open wheeler. After using it there would be more people convinced.

The devs have absolute nothing from people who just drive the demo all the days. My opinion of course.
Quote from dcToro :I will never understand how people can use the demo for days or longer!

Because they can?, the same reason they crack it, because they can.

People are cheapskates, I know, I am one myself, but, I know quality when I see it, which is why I paid from LFS as soon as I was able to
Extremely funny suggestion.

My suggestion, for merely 50% of the price, you can get S1 or 96.5% more content than you have with demo! That's a deal right there!
How do you not have any money at 15? When I was 15 I always found ways to make some cash. I found side jobs to do for neighbors, i changed oil, fixed computers, pulled weeds...basically anything I could think of to make money...I wasn't even working 'for' anything...I was just working so I would have money to go out with friends, buy stuff for myself and save for a car since my parents never bought me anything anyway...

You're 1 year away from being able to legally drive here in the states...how do you plan to buy a car or do anything on your own? If you want to take a girl out for lunch do you tell her you need to ask your parents for money? Some people's kids are just plain lazy...

I don't get threads like this...someone already pasted the definition of 'demo' and that's all that really needed to be done...
Quote from Homeless_Drunk :How do you not have any money at 15? When I was 15 I always found ways to make some cash. I found side jobs to do for neighbors, i changed oil, fixed computers, pulled weeds...basically anything I could think of to make money...I wasn't even working 'for' anything...I was just working so I would have money to go out with friends, buy stuff for myself and save for a car since my parents never bought me anything anyway...

+ 1, and he's a homeless drunk!
Quote from Bob Smith :A demo is supposed to being an annoyingly small teaser of the full product to want you begging for the full thing, so that, ultimately, you BUY THE GAME. If it didn't do that, LFS wouldn't sell and the devs would have gone back into employment.

It would seem to me by the amount of "suggestions" from demo users to add more content that the Demo is having exactly that effect.

I have to say if I was this games developer I would be extremely happy about a flood of demo users asking for more content on my forum because it would pretty much prove:

a) I have a product that works in the market place. ie people want it.
b) I haven't given too much content away for free so that no one ever wants to upgrade.

I haven't seen the figures, but I'm willing to bet that the devs are all too aware of the ratio of demo users to S2 users and how any growth of demo users correlates to S2 sales. I'm no marketing guru so I couldn't tell if they have the balance right currently even if I did have those facts. But if Scawen et al haven't spoken to some form of marketing proffessional about what kind of sales levels they should be getting given their demo user base I would seriously recommend they did.
Quote from Homeless_Drunk :How do you not have any money at 15? When I was 15 I always found ways to make some cash. I found side jobs to do for neighbors, i changed oil, fixed computers, pulled weeds...basically anything I could think of to make money...I wasn't even working 'for' anything...I was just working so I would have money to go out with friends, buy stuff for myself and save for a car since my parents never bought me anything anyway...

When I was 13, I worked in a supermarket 3 times a week for 3 months after school, stacking shelves, collecting trolleys and carrying peoples bags to their cars just to be able to buy myself a bicycle. No dig at the OP but it does seem like kids these days just don't want to work for anything.
Quote from gezmoor :When I was 13, I worked in a supermarket 3 times a week for 3 months after school, stacking shelves, collecting trolleys and carrying peoples bags to their cars just to be able to buy myself a bicycle. No dig at the OP but it does seem like kids these days just don't want to work for anything.

Not allowed to work until you are 16.....

That is how he can get money to get a car, etc next year.

As for being 15, I agree. It's easy to mow lawns and stuff for cash. Just 3 mowed lawns and there's the cash for S2, at least 25 years ago when I was doing it. I imagine it would still pay you about $20 for a lawn mowing, and probably some delicious chocolate chip cookies as well if it's a nice old lady you're mowing for.

A Better Demo (Please)
(183 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG