The online racing simulator
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :Have not seen that yet, have to get around to it......has to be better than the one with Jude Law in it though.

Well Stalingrad is a German film, from a German perspective.
Quote from BlueFlame :Well Stalingrad is a German film, from a German perspective.

Correction... it's a German/Russian co-production.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Correction... it's a German/Russian co-production.

Either way, it's not a 'hollywood' film, which makes it good, aswell as Das Boot.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Yeah, another +1 for me on Inglourious Basterds.

Made me more than a bit morally uncomfortable, but I guess that was definitely part of the point.

Some really incredible scenes.

...and another +643.8 from me. Great movie

Anyone who is going to see it looking to watch a war movie will be wasting their time. This isn't a war movie! It's a blackly comic,drama/spaghetti western set in WW2. It's dramatic,funny,gory,talky,ridiculously over the top piece of cinema.... a typical slice of Tarantino really. I like all his films (even Death Proof, though that went to far with the long dialogue scenes, as the dialogue wasn't particularly interesting) but this is definitely right up there with the best of his stuff imo. A thoroughly entertaining 2 1/2 hours.
If you hate subtitles forget it. 75% of the movie is in French and German.

I'd also give Oldboy a big thumbs up, saw it a couple of weeks ago. I will not be watching any crappy Hollywood remake of it.
Can anyone name one Hollywood remake of a far eastern movie that was better than the original? I cant think of one. Why do they bother?

I'm going to watch Taegukgi tonight after the praise its got here.
Quote from The Moose :Can anyone name one Hollywood remake of a far eastern movie that was better than the original? I cant think of one. Why do they bother?

Some people would say The Departed, but I'm not one of those.
Quote from The Moose :Can anyone name one Hollywood remake of a far eastern movie that was better than the original? I cant think of one. Why do they bother?

Do you think a normal person will watch a movie that is in a FOREIGN language (omg subtitles) and doesn't include Brad Pitt or Steven Spielberg? Hah. Look at the Oscars - they've got a 'Best Foreign Film Award'.

Back on topic, the first two parts of Tin Man the TV Miniseries are pretty good. Skip the finale though and make up an end yourself.
Quote from Lible :Do you think a normal person will watch a movie that is in a FOREIGN language (omg subtitles)

I don't know why not...if they can read then what's the problem? Its a sad state of affairs when people wont watch a movie because it has subs... they are missing out on so many films that are far better than the most of the crap Hollywood churns out.
Subtitles can take something away from a movie. If the point is to be immersed in the story or the drama, subtitles can make you feel like you're getting a poor translated version of the event, which can be distracting if you're aware of how bad some of the translation jobs are in movies. Same thing applies to translated books- you're always second guessing the language. Sure, that feeling can probably be suspended pretty easily, but the best thing would just be knowing all the different languages of the movies you watch.

Useless early morning post
Quote from The Moose :I don't know why not...if they can read then what's the problem? Its a sad state of affairs when people wont watch a movie because it has subs... they are missing out on so many films that are far better than the most of the crap Hollywood churns out.

It's the sad truth. I always have a smile on my face when someone who hasn't seen a lot of movies watches an old classic and says 'that was pretty good' .
Now I can't think of any seriously good movie that has come out of hollywood lately.
Quote from Lible :Now I can't think of any seriously good movie that has come out of hollywood lately.

Changeling?
Quote from amp88 :Changeling?

Haven't seen it yet, but you reminded me that Letters from Iwo Jima was pretty good. And so was Million Dollar Baby. There are some good movies, but very few you watch and can say 'a classic'. But maybe I can look back in 40 years and say they used to make good films then .

Back on topic, I suggest everyone who likes good movies to start buying Criterion. Every last release from them. Have gotten no disappointments yet myself.

Last masterpiece I saw was Stage Fright, which got me thinking Hitchcock is underrated. He was seriously censored by Hollywood and could have made so much more..
Quote from amp88 :Changeling?

Wouldn't be on my list.

Very good recent Hollywood movies... let's say from 2009 only:

Coraline
Star Trek
Up!
Adventureland
Drag Me to Hell
The Hurt Locker
Moon
Public Enemies
Inglourious Basterds
Quote from Electrik Kar :Subtitles can take something away from a movie. If the point is to be immersed in the story or the drama, subtitles can make you feel like you're getting a poor translated version of the event, which can be distracting if you're aware of how bad some of the translation jobs are in movies. Same thing applies to translated books- you're always second guessing the language. Sure, that feeling can probably be suspended pretty easily, but the best thing would just be knowing all the different languages of the movies you watch.

Useless early morning post

I can't comprehend how someone finds subtitles "hard", i mean, really? People PREFER synchronised films and TV shows, and that's the dumbest thing in the world. If Homer says "DOUGH" like the creator imagined, i don't want a synchronised "DAUGH" or whatever.. The stupidness of syncrhonisation is unmeasured! (i couldn't live in a country that has that as a standard, honestly)
I dunno, I tend to prefer subtitles. not too picky on how as I tend to primarily listen to the audio, but sometimes something happens that I miss and want to see what was said exactly (due to quiet/tense scene)
Quote :The stupidness of syncrhonisation is unmeasured!

Yeah, there's no easier way to wreck a film.

Do you think, given the choice, the average person would choose synchronisation (overdub) over subtitles? I'm pretty sure most people would choose subtitles.

PS, just saw Inglourious Basterds tonight. Still a bit tense over the experience, I've just settled down with a glass of port to take the edge off.
Quote from Electrik Kar :Yeah, there's no easier way to wreck a film.

Do you think, given the choice, the average person would choose synchronisation (overdub) over subtitles? I'm pretty sure most people would choose subtitles.

PS, just saw Inglourious Basterds tonight. Still a bit tense over the experience, I've just settled down with a glass of port to take the edge off.

i think im a blood maniac coz i lol'd all the way thru inglorious basterds.

i recomend district 9 and inglorious basterds.... the only problem i had with D9 is that i drank a monster before the movie... so i found it went thru rly fast
I watched Marley and Me last night and boy was it a brilliant film. There was funny scenes and scenes sad enough to make you cry. It is a must watch, but will bring pretty much anyone to tears so get the tissues ready.
Green Street Hooligans 1/2

Both awesome. Ofcourse, the first one was a lot better and more enjoyable, however, the sequel was up right there too.

Good watch.
sexpot

seriously low film...
Culloden (1964 BBC TV Film)

This is one of the early uses of "docudrama" technique, using voice-over, rapid editing, hand-held camera and interviews with the 1746 characters. Based on the John Prebble book of the same title, the film is full of terrible facts. The non-actors who play the Highland peasants, speak in Gaelic, emphasising the cultural divide between the Highlands and Westminster. Nearly all the dialogue is quotes from the time. Irony piles on irony - the Catholic Highlanders are fighting for Bonnie Prince Charlie, a man more familiar with Polish, Italian & French than English or Gaelic. The Protestant Scots & British are fighting for a German - George II. The shaky black & white footage of the British massacre of Scots wounded, is horribly reminiscent of World War II footage (as it is meant to be).

Watkins revulsion at British brutalities and sympathy for the Highlanders, caused a storm of controversy when the BBC televised it. The reaction was so strong, the BBC did not reshow it for years. Edited versions exist, with less violence.

Recommend a film you've seen lately.
(3163 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG