The online racing simulator
In Bruge
Brilliant understated film. Great comedy touches.

Highly recommended 8/10
Quote from MataGyula :Just watched Babylon A.D. Well, what can i say, i'm a Vin Diesel fan but still the movie wasn't that great. The story* and the setting was brilliant. (* except the ending, that is the main thing that ruined the overall impression ). Watch it for the visuals tho, the apocalyptic/hi-tech sceneries were quite impressing :O

What a shit film. :X
Watched Seoul Raiders yesterday. It's amusing if you don't take it too seriously (read: at all)
Quote from HVS5b :Saw 'Meet the Spartans' last night.
Not bad, about 7/10

Nothing proves you have a lousy sense of humour more than this post...

On topic... had quite a bit of a free time, spent it in front of a TV and in the movie theatre

1. The thing - old movie, old SFX, but MAN, this is far better than any recent "horror thriller monster" movies... Enjoyed it very much. Not scary enough though, feels more like "Aliens".

2. Boondock saints - really nice movie, I managed to enjoy it from start to finish. Plot is weirdly nice, but a bit too simple. The style of the movie is very nice though, reminded me of "Lock, Stock and 2 smoking barrels" for some reason.

3. Death Race (2008) - a great video (not a movie) if you forget that it is supposed to have a plot. Pure eyecandy. (leave the movie theatre as soon as the 2nd racing day is over - they start injecting it with plot afterwards... which sucks hard

4. Death Note (a 37 episode manga series) - never was a fan of Anime and such, but got my hands on a collection of good ones (hand picked by a friend of mine). Great story, nice graphics. The one I'd trylly recommend

5. Transporter 3 - Seriously, if you have enjoyed the first two, than a lobotomised monkey like you will probably enjoy this one aswell... no plot, no good scenes, no good actors, no good (or even decent) CAR RELATED ACTION IN A CAR THEMED MOVIE... I'd say AVOID since I've seen people on this forum making a better LFS videos than this "hollywood blockbuster"

6.UHF - an old movie with Weird Al Yankovic in it. If you haven't seen it - you haven't missed much, if you have missed it and still regret it - go to Youtube and search for UHF Rambo, UHF Gandhi II and UHF Indiana Jones. That will give you the better parts of the movie.
Chocolate - Reasonable marshall arts film with a slightly dodgy storyline. But worth a watch!

Glengarry Glen Ross
- Best film ever?
Quote :The Mist

dont read about it, dont look for what people say about it just watch it.

I took your advice, and grabbed it up while I was waiting for my Indian takeaway. I found it a fairly ordinary but watchable B-grade horror flick, passable enough to supplement a TV dinner anyway. Creature design could have used a good tweak though.

Looks like they had a lot of fun making it, on a low budget and incredibly tight schedule.
A movie I've been watching for years on a regular basis ist "Hot Shots", although its kind of humour can longer be described as fully up-to-date ...

But back to topic, I recently watched "Shaun of the Dead" which was funny alone due to the strange faces a lot of the actors showed, but also the "story" was not that bad - I had a big laugh at the end especially.
Quote from squidhead :
4. Death Note (a 37 episode manga series) - never was a fan of Anime and such, but got my hands on a collection of good ones (hand picked by a friend of mine). Great story, nice graphics. The one I'd trylly recommend

if I may, I would recommend you Cowboy Bebop, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0213338/ I'm not Anime fan neither, and first 4 episodes weren't very interesting, but then...ahh a must-see anime
Watched ALOT of films over the Christmas break, but only a couple stick in my mind.

Blindness, actually liked this film alot, very uncomfortable viewing in places, feels quite "real", and you think to yourself that this could actually happen.

I love post-apocolyptic films, so the fall of humanity in the film is good for me , shame about the ending, I wish the ending wasn't a happy one, because an unhappy one would have been more in keeping with the overall feel of the film.

Finally got round to watching "the man from earth", and found it had a VERY good story, however, I found the acting a little "low budget" in places.

On another note, got round to finishing the book "The Road" by Cormac Mccarthy, and I note there is a film coming out of it this year, the book was GREAT, so I hope that don't make a complete hash of the film.
I watched the new Will Smith film Seven Pounds. Quite an interesting plot.
sex drive any good ?

might go see it on the weekend
American Teen: Often unintentionally hilarious pseudo-documentary about being a teenager in middle America. Worth watching if you're bored and/or were recently a teenager.

Appaloosa: A pretty rote western. Boring.

Benjamin Button, the Curious Case of: A really good movie about love and loss surrounded by a lot of schmaltzy shit. I still really liked it a lot, but the framing story, the hummingbird, and lightning man were all completely extraneous and the first 1/2 to 2/3 were a bit too whimsical for my tastes. Still, very moving in the final 1/3 and gorgeously shot and sfx'd throughout. Dunno how they made Brad Pitt look so young at the end.

Eagle Eye: lolz. Die Hard 4 but dumber and less exciting. Still worth watching if you're bored.

Vicky Cristina Barcelona
: Vintage Woody Allen, but not quite on the level of his classic material. Everyone is very, very attractive, which helps.

Revolutionary Road: Could have been so much better, given the awesome source material. Kate Winslet is good, but this is a stale retread of American Beauty, transposed to the 50s, that completely misses the mark of Richard Yates' gorgeous novel. Just watch Mad Men instead.

Hamlet 2: Pretty bad but still enjoyable, with some genuinely really funny stuff. I'd watch Steve Coogan do just about anything, though. Worth watching just to see him try to rollerskate across gravel.

Milk: A pretty standard bio pic, but really well done. The characterization of the "bad guy" is pretty weak, but all of the acting is very good. Won't be surprised if Penn wins best actor for this--the performance is designed to win an Oscar but may be the rare case of such a designed-to-win performance that actually deserves it anyway. Period re-creation of San Francisco is awesome.

Still have to watch:
Slumdog Millionare
The Wrestler
Che
Blindness
Wendy & Lucy

and probably a lot more
Quote from Electrik Kar :I found it a fairly ordinary but watchable B-grade horror flick, passable enough to supplement a TV dinner anyway. Creature design could have used a good tweak though.
Looks like they had a lot of fun making it, on a low budget and incredibly tight schedule.

You DO understand that it's not about the creatures, but about people... and that it's not a horror movie...

Quote from majod :if I may, I would recommend you Cowboy Bebop, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0213338/ I'm not Anime fan neither, and first 4 episodes weren't very interesting, but then...ahh a must-see anime

Sadly, I have heard some comments on it, from a person who's opinion usually is the same to mine. Comments were not generous
Quote from DeadWolfBones :
Hamlet 2: Pretty bad but still enjoyable, with some genuinely really funny stuff. I'd watch Steve Coogan do just about anything, though. Worth watching just to see him try to rollerskate across gravel.

"If my father knew what I was doing down here he'd crucify me!"

Was a pretty bad movie, though..
Charley Varrick - awesome !!!
Quote :You DO understand that it's not about the creatures, but about people... and that it's not a horror movie...

I got the basic idea, sure. I just thought the bugs/spiders were a little generic. The last big creature looked great, but it was still just an elephant with some tentacles coming out of it.

I'm probably a bit of an old school purist, one of those people that think horror (and I don't know why you wouldn't call The Mist a horror movie, sci-fi maybe?) attained perfection back in the 80's with really visually creative movies like The Thing and Poltergiest.

Rob Bottin (special effects/makeup guy) is just the man!
The Mist was horrible. No tension, unbelievable characters, stupid ending, bad sfx.
TAKEN is a solid movie. very watchable.
Quote from Electrik Kar :and I don't know why you wouldn't call The Mist a horror movie,

Because it doesn't try to scare the viewer I guess, since if it wanted to, it'd be filled with screamers, like every modern "horror" movie is.

(watched The Thing a few weeks back - best thing I've seen in a lot of time)
Thank You For Smoking - Starting on Film Four now, and because STV aint showing Dexter (smooth move, you complete fuds) I'll make do with this Indie oddball of a movie. Taking a twisted look at Tabocco lobbyists, filled with laughs and at times poignant moments. Also great cast.
Quote from amp88 :I watched the new Will Smith film Seven Pounds. Quite an interesting plot.

i agree, a good movie after handcock dissapointment.
Quote from danowat :There are so many films made these days, it's easy to miss so good'uns.

Basically, I am a bit of a film nut, I LOVE film, so I am always on the look out for decent films, so if you've seen a lesser than mainstream movie lately, then lets hear a recommendation.

Last night, I watched "The Nines", and was totally blown away, probably the most since I watched "Donnie Darko" for the first time (which is one of my favourite films BTW).

It's a really clever and intelligent piece of film making, and really makes you think about it, it's hard to follow but it will all make sense in the end, excellent acting, and a very hot actress for those that like the larger woman

Anyone suggest any other films?

Nothing new sadly. But if you can handle foreign language films here's a few I'd recommend (If you haven't seen them already):

Maria full of grace
Cidade de Deus
Central do Brasil
Old Boy
Them (2007 - also known as Ils)

and a film I literally couldn't watch in some parts (and I'm a horror fan !):

Dans ma Peau

Not that great acting, but really wierd and sick in places.
Oh, I also saw A Christmas Tale the other day. Very good French film about family relationships.

Recommend a film you've seen lately.
(3163 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG