The online racing simulator
Running LFS with a Router
(19 posts, started )
I have a router and have two PCs linked to it. I have LFS downloaded on both but, only use one at a time. (Cos I've only got one pair of hands!)
When I had a modem, LFS worked fine but now, the Router doesn't cooperate with me and I can't use either machine. I have to unhook them from the router and plug in my Modem to my older machine.
Is there some setting which I may have overlooked which will enable the router, (supposedly a more clever gizmo) to happily allow my LFS activities.
Someone did offer a rather complicated solution some month or so ago but I was completely bemused by it. A simple explanation of what I might be doing wrong would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
What do you mean by "can't use it"? Can't join any online servers (can you get on to the web at all?), or cant run your own server?
router problems
Dear Angry Angel, I am the person that Peejayh is trying to connect with.Perhaps I can shed a little more light on his problems. He has 2 computers,they are connected to the internet via a router, the router, I assume ,is connected to the internet via his modem. In order to race with me he has to reconnect his modem directly to his computer(disconnecting his router in the process) If you can help him enable a connection with me without the inconvenience of him crawling under his table and messing about a load of wires I will be very grateful to you.Then I'll be able to give him even more thrashings
If he has to unplug his router, Its most likely ports.
Hi McGas

I'm not sure I know what you mean by ports.
Via the router on a machine which runs Vista and is a 2 Duo E6850 2gb Ram, Geforce 9800 GX2. I have access to the internet OK, can open up and run Multiplayer and bring in AI opponents but when Daveebee tries to hit the mutually agreed site name and password, that is as far as he can get. I can get onto the public sites as well.
Are there any different settings anywhere with the opening pages of the LFS program which are different when I employ a router as opposed to a modem.
Where do I access these ports please?
What needs to be done to them to "open" them or change them?
Any help would be great. Cheers.
Angry angel
I only mean that I can't use the computers "for LFS purposes when I want to connect up to a single other racer online". As soon as he hits the site name and password he can't "meet me" and should he be the host, "I can't join him."
That is with the router.
When I unhook the router and relink up with the modem we can meet and he duly hands out a walloping.
So I'm after getting the router to work with "ideally both machines" and if you're clever enough, Angry angel, and I suspect you are, give me way to tie his shoelaces together so I can win occasionally.....!! Mmmmm...
There is something I'm not doing when I'm connected up to the router and I don't know what it can be.
Quote from peejayh :As soon as he hits the site name and password he can't "meet me"

This, as mentioned before, is likely because the ports (these are virtual ports, not physical) used by LFS on your router are not forwarded to your computers IP addresss.

Quote from peejayh :and should he be the host, "I can't join him."

And in this situation, it is likely that the reverse is true. If your friend hosts and you can't join his server, then his ports on his router and not forwarded to his IP address. You should be able to confirm this, as when he hosts, it should make no difference whether you are connecting via you router or not.

The link Stefani24 posted should contain instructions on how to log into your router and forward a port. The port you need to forward for LFS is 63392. The IP address you need to forward this port to is the local network IP address of your computer.
More detailed instructions can be found in the_angry_angel's server guide: http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=9572

I'm sorry if this is condescending but I know you're not the most technically knowledgeable person, so just to keep things clear, here's a brief terminology check:

Host - this is the computer that is running the server

Data that travels on a network has a variety of tags. Two of these tags are IP address and port number. A very simplified explanation follows:

The IP address is used so that the data can reach the computer that it was intended for. Without an IP address, data cant be sent anywhere.
The port is used so that, when data arrives at the target computer, it can then be sent to the correct piece of software that is running on your computer for processing.

When you are directly connected to the Internet via your modem, data can only reach your PC, so everything works. Routed internet complicates matters a little as the IP address that data is being sent to is that of your router, not your computer (thanks to NAT, but that's more acronyms we don't need to worry about). For inbound traffic, the router needs a mapping of ports to IPs, else it doesn't know which computer on your network to send the data to (if there is only one computer on the network, it does not automatically send all the data there). Adding the port forward adds this mapping, so that the router can do its job, and route the data destined for LFS to your PC. Without this mapping, the data is dropped, so a connection is never made, and nobody will be able to join your server.
Bob Smith about the Router with LFS
Blimey, Bob, I realize that there are two types of people on this planet - those who understand the ins and outs of routers and those who don't!
Do I have to buy this PFConfig?
It has foxed me utterly.
Is there somewhere where someone has listed it out in Tab fashion.
Its as clear as mud at the moment...
Not at all. Most home routers come with a web interface. You can login to that (by going to the IP of your router in a web browser) and you can configure it via that - However the instructions vary in doing so from router model to model, because the web interface changes. Using PFConfig is never necessary and is nothing more than a con (in my personal opinion).
Quote from peejayh :Blimey, Bob, I realize that there are two types of people on this planet - those who understand the ins and outs of routers and those who don't!

I'd imagine the spectrum contains a few more shades of grey than that, but in my case, a degree in computer networking certainly helps.

If you have more specific questions then fire away but I don't know what else I can say to add to the overall picture.
Hi again, Bob. I have identified that my number one machine has the IP address as 192.168.1.2 and now I find that my number two machine is also 192.168.1.2. As I speak they are both linked to the internet via the same BT VOYAGER 220V router.
Would you be so kind as to tell me what I have to do next?
Regards
192.168.1.2 is the default IP of your router.

EDIT: If it works without the router plugged in I'd say it's something to do with the firewall...which that router has....maybe.
Would it help if, when I get to the page "STart new host" and where normally it says IP ADDRESS - Auto - that I should change it to the IP address of the lad I normally race head to head with??
Or should I insert my own IP Address?

Regards
I'm also having problems with connecting to both routers. I only use 1 PC to run LFS Dedicated Server and also use client or play with the same PC. When ever i connect the PC to the internet with the ADSL Modem direct connection (w/o router) I see my Dedi Host Server running in the list of server in LFS.

I dont see my server anymore is the list of LFS Server.

I tried using the PortForwarding configuration with a list of LFS server ports.

and i also tried to configure the Window Firewall adding LFS ports in and out bounds.

but still the same thing, i can't see my server running in LFS master server.

is there any other way to configure this to run my LFS server in a routed connection?
and do i need to change the IP in Setup.cfg file of Dedicated Server?
How can i make colored text in a text file?My server is listed with black letters.And the welcome text the same i wish to put some color in my text.I'm running a dedicated server.PLEASE HELP!
Quote from pliktro :How can i make colored text in a text file?My server is listed with black letters.And the welcome text the same i wish to put some color in my text.I'm running a dedicated server.PLEASE HELP!

In all text responses you can use colors:
^0 - black
^1 - red
^2 - green
^3 - yellow
^4 - blue
^5 - violet
^6 - cyan
^7 - white
^8 - no color
Quote from Deejayyaj :In all text responses you can use colors:
^0 - black
^1 - red
^2 - green
^3 - yellow
^4 - blue
^5 - violet
^6 - cyan
^7 - white
^8 - no color

Thank you very much!!
@pliktro: No problem, anytime as long as i can help

Now here's one method I did in my router connection an it works fine.

Port Forwarding will help or guide you to forward ports, so here is a list of ports and routers @ www.portforwarding.com

1) List of routers, and look for your router model in the list.

e.g
Linksys
WRT54Gv5-DDWRTv23SP2

2) List of games, Click on the game to be port forward.

e.g.
Live For Speed Server

3) Important: Follow instructions on how to configure the port in you router, and remember this "Just replace all of that with the ip address of your router. By default the ip address should be set to 192.168.1.1."
as indicated in the Port Forwarding instruction.

Hope this helps... Good luck

(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG