The online racing simulator
G25 Addon handbrake Drawings
Hi,

This is an unusual thread, i'm not posting pictures of what i've made but what it would be good for someone to make. I'm going to email a few companies that create addon's for sim gear and see if this thing can get into production.

What I need from the community is a lot of Constructive Critisism, telling me things that should be different and should be shaped differently. Also, anyone who knows things about electrics could help a bit with designing the pot system.

Ignore the blue lines, they're for lining up purposes. Once I get closer to a finished design i'll render the whole thing properly without said lines.

Things to add:
  1. System to mount the handbrake to the shifter.
  2. System to mount the handbrake to a desk
  3. Electrical system including axis
  4. A locking system like a real handbrake
Critisism please!
What do you think about this modification? It solves the problem of mounting it

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/6615/46399492xk7.jpg

The only thing is that the G25 shifter is usually mounted at the same height than the wheel (like the previous Honda Civic) so the handbrake would be situated wrongly.

BTW Logitech has an option in it site to suggest new products or ideas and they consider it. You can even go to one of their factories and show them your project or even a prototype
Quote from NitroNitrous :What do you think about this modification? It solves the problem of mounting it

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/6615/46399492xk7.jpg

The only thing is that the G25 shifter is usually mounted at the same height than the wheel (like the previous Honda Civic) so the handbrake would be situated wrongly.

BTW Logitech has an option in it site to suggest new products or ideas and they consider it. You can even go to one of their factories and show them your project or even a prototype

My handbrake is where a real one would be on a right hand drive car, down and to the left. My shifter connects to a table thats running paralel with my cockpit, then there's a plank of wood clamped to the table and then the shifter is clamped on to that.

Your option for mounting could work, i'll try and incorperate something like that.
I like the concept you got there, but for people who mount their shifter on a desk, you'd need to make the bottom clamp longer to make up for the extra length of shifter base.

I can just picture a 'mini' handbrake on the shifter now. I say mini as the shifter isn't huge, so the handbrake lever would be a little stumpy.

Alternatively you could have it to the side of the shifter and back a tiny bit. I would draw a little pic but I can't really be bothered right now, but some cars do have it this way.
Here's an update of the design, which fixes a few issues. Don't mind the watermarks.

I think you can use that two screw holes at the bottom of the shifter for the mounting
#7 - JEP
Sound's great, hope to see some good news.

#8 - wild
Looks good i will probably tempted to buy one. If there not too expensive . When you get a prototype you defiantly 100% have to show us

Maybe you could get a few buttons on it some where like the G25 Shifter

Overall i like your design would be better if it was a bit bigger but i realise you don't want people to copy your work.
#9 - wild
So do you have any more info on this?
yh a few more buttons on the unit would be usefull but also if it was a seperate piece of hardware so it was a seperate controller and could also be mounted seperatly of the shifter,anyway i like the idea, also the handbrake would need the option on a piec of hardware that it operated as a button so the program did a button press onece the leaver was past a certain percent of its axis and as an axis so in like lfs you could have a progressve handbrake
what about a rally car style upright handbake mounted to the side of the shifter?
#12 - wild
It would be hard to design to fit on the side of the shifter. It would be easier to make the unit on its own. I think the same kind of layout as the shifter. But make it longer so you can get a handbrake on it
i got some questions concerning adding E-brakes , Switch box, and other Hardwares .

so let say for E-brake ,Last year i entered a Engineering Phase where i disassembled my very old Logitech Driving force FFB wheel to first understand how it works in first place and also to try to mate 1 of the Pedal as a Clutch to my Late DFP. i am a Automotive technician , i know how electrical and electronics device works and all , but getting to the point of actually connecting the hardware to the PC so it actually work like its intended , i just stall there . do i splice a wire to actual wire harness, do i need a conversion circuit board ??? J-pac or something ....

thx for all the support and help from all of you E-Drivers ..

G25 Addon handbrake Drawings
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG