The online racing simulator
"new philosophy" setups version 2
(8 posts, started )
After a few hours of tweaking and lots of fun I more or less completed a new setup for the lx4 and fz50.

Short intro to those who haven't tried my original 'new philosophy' pack, here is the trick:
- normal fronts
- super rears

This time I've changed a few things:
- springs based on weight distribution of car + fuel + driver (does wonders for general neutral feel)
- dampers also evened out based on this rule for balanced damping
- added stiffer rollbars

The goal of the first setup pack made ages ago was to show that 'oversteer anywhere' didn't have to be the case with LFS. The result was sort of overly safe handling cars, a tad too extreme. I also didn't realize that having 16 front and 2 rear rollbar is indeed a factor of 8, but their stiffness isn't really enough to do a lot compared to what the springs do, so their effect became a lot more noticable when I upped their values.

Again, IMHO these setups transform the handling of LFS from 'obviously way too unsafe and oversteery' to 'might actually drive the car in real life without too much fear of dying'.. But you can play with the cars a bit. I wanted to:
- not have major lift off oversteer / spinning
- unless you scandinavian flick unsettle the car
- not have power oversteer
- unless again steering violently or
- being aggressive in 1st or 2nd gear.

When you drive smoothly and within the limit you'll notice that the cars really don't bite whereas with most setups you will spin way before you reach what you think is the limit of grip.

I might make more setups but for now here are the ones for the Fz50 and lx4, aptly named 'safe2006'

I hope you enjoy them, my first pack got more than 600 downloads and positive feedback at RSC so I think they're worth a serious try. Laptimes are not on my mind, they will probably be slower due to normal instead of 'death wish' front grip. I want to make LFS more realistic and that is what - I hope many will agree - these setups do!

Edit: I use a 900 degrees turning wheel so I use maximum steering lock. Since you don't have to use a lot of lock to catch the mild slides these setups might develop I *urge* people without a DFP wheel to lower the value. Really you can use 12 degrees of steering lock on a 'single turn or less' wheel.

Edit jan 9: XR GT turbo added, Fz50 changed... but I think I'm mixing two setups up now so stay tuned for the 'real' new one for that soon..
Attached files
LX4_safe2006.set - 132 B - 1426 views
XR GT TURBO_safe2006.set - 132 B - 602 views
FZ50_safe2006.set - 132 B - 1186 views
-
(Vendetta) DELETED by Vendetta
These handle really nicely. One thing though, now that the front understeers alot more now, the front tires burn quickly from the sliding.
Hmm I think that you are 'over driving' a bit. With the LX4 I can't get the front tyres to their alledged optimum temp (stuck at about 40c, optimum being 50c). The rears hover somewhere around 60c. With the Fz50 I recall (its been a day.. lol..) front and rear to be near optimum, perhaps a few degs too warm.

Just about any (I'm quite sure *all*) setups with super front tyres are *so* lacking understeer that a lot of LFS racers have become used to a very unrealistic and most of all unsafe handling car. When people complain about understeer in cars, they are often simply not driving the car the right way. Mostly entering turns too fast causes understeer. Without a LOT of power you can't always get rid of that, especially in faster corners in 3rd/4th gear. I believe this is fairly realistic as in these gears you don't have enough power to make the rears loose grip so your high corner entry speed will be punished with understeering as the corner is too tight for the speed you're travelling at.

Most LFS car setups you can dial in oversteer at any point. Even just cruising in 3rd gear half throttle can result in a spin which is so far from reality that my setups are a bit of a shock as they are so different, and I hope a lot more realistic. I'll upload a couple of replays after breakfast to give some idea.
Hmmm for the LX4 to have optimum temps, you just use low pressures. I've never had a problem with the LX4, it is one of my favorite cars . Maybe you aren't driving it hard enough? Or might the camber not be set according to the anti-roll properly?

Depends on the track also... but the cars can reach optimum temps if you find the right pressures mostly. And I make my LX4 sets have a slight bit of understeer (or less frontend cornering ability) to keep the rear stable.... in-turn, you get a stable car that has to be pushed really hard, and has advantages such as trailbraking into hairpins, and stability for bumpy tracks.
Just tried these and I really like em. Give me a lot more confidence in my driving over the default setups. I dont seem to get that nasty oversteer/spin each time I take an easy right hander. Thanks.
#6 - undoz
These are great to drive! The best driving experience that I've had in a sim.

This is how LFS should handle.

Thanks Niels
added a GT turbo setup and updated the fz50 setup in the first post. Here are some replays of certainly not really good driving but its the kind of above average (uh?) track day guy doing some laps not really knowing the car or the track that well..
Attached files
Niels Heusinkveld_AS5_XRT_FINISHED.spr - 286.3 KB - 431 views
Niels Heusinkveld_AS5_FZ5_FINISHED.spr - 184.3 KB - 433 views
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken

(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG