The online racing simulator
New crash / skid / offroad sounds
Hello there,

Yesterday I suddenly got annoyed by LFS' crashing sounds. It makes the cars feel so soft. More like wooden cars instead of metal cars. It all sounds a little cheap and lo-fi.

So I decided to play a bit with the sounds, see what everything does. Eventually I created a lot of new sounds, sounds for:
- Soft crashes
- Hard crashes
- Dirt
- Grass
- Gravel
- Different skidding sounds

And I also modified the default wind and road surface sounds, because they have too much "character". That makes them become boring very soon, so I EQ-ed them for a more neutral sound.

I made some video's as a preview. I wonder what you think of it. Since I can't really drive with these new skidding sounds I will make that an optional pack.

I wonder what you're opinions are about my sounds so far.

http://lfs.cyxian.nl/newsound1.avi (4 MB)
http://lfs.cyxian.nl/newsound2.avi (5 MB)
Very nice job with the crash and gravel sounds, though obviously I wouldn't like to hear them too often when playing
OMG those are awsome!!

release please^^
Very nice man, I cant wait till you release those, def gonna use them.
Nice crashes lmao but the sounds sounds very good release them please
That's sweet! I'm waiting for it. Sounds good.
#7 - ReVoX
WOW nice nice
awesome!!!!! me want
Looks excellent, it is very nice! Please release!

release please!!!
Very nice!
Can't wait for release.
Wow, very nice work. Release it please. :P
Thanks for the replies. I'll try to make it optimal and maybe add some sounds here and there, then I'll release it. Please post some critics, so I can work on that.
no critics, just release it

well, crash sound looks too silent to me (my opinion) but overall is AWESOME!
Maybe skidding sound is a bit too high. But if it would be lower, then it would sound like all other reworked skid sounds.

I think - leave it like it is.
Cool
The crashing sounds, the grass and the gravel are great, the skid's are poor i think. Take a look at Karl's sounds as well (on another topic) , he has great gravel/grass/ and skid sounds, maybe you two could join the sounds, and take the best from each..
Criticism:
  • Skid Sounds - they aren't beefy enough, remember; its rubber rubbing straight onto tarmac at high speed, it should be a much louder and raspier sound.
  • Collision Noise - Not sure what you based it on, but again it sounds a bit too mellow. It sounds good for little taps against walls but if you hit a wall headon at high speed, as your drivers did, it doesn't sound like a crash its just a little thud.
  • Sand + Grass Sounds - great, they sound realistic.
Quote from mcintyrej :Criticism:
  • Skid Sounds - they aren't beefy enough, remember; its rubber rubbing straight onto tarmac at high speed, it should be a much louder and raspier sound.
  • Collision Noise - Not sure what you based it on, but again it sounds a bit too mellow. It sounds good for little taps against walls but if you hit a wall headon at high speed, as your drivers did, it doesn't sound like a crash its just a little thud.
  • Sand + Grass Sounds - great, they sound realistic.

Thanks.

Well, the collision sound is a compromise. When you bottom the car, or when you hit someone slightly, it would be too much if you heard a loud BANG.

I think you're right about the skidding sounds. I'm not happy with them either. Although I don't think it should be louder. In the video it's not very loud, but it's louder in the game. And you can adjust that also. But I'll try to make something raspier, with a new base. Now I used the default samples as base, pitched and EQ-ed, but it's still too lo-fi. I have to figure out how to make such a sound and record it, or make it with a synthesizer.

Quote from LiveForBoobs :The crashing sounds, the grass and the gravel are great, the skid's are poor i think. Take a look at Karl's sounds as well (on another topic) , he has great gravel/grass/ and skid sounds, maybe you two could join the sounds, and take the best from each..

Well, I'm sorry to say, but I don't like those samples very much, with the exception of the loud skidding sound, although it's still a bit too low. The rest are basicly the original sounds with distortion, making them sound even cheaper.
-
(Karl Morytz) DELETED by Karl Morytz
#22 - Mc21
Any update on this Darkone?
Not sure, but: could this skid sound be used?
This is ™DB VolvoTiC playing with his real car, on a drift track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQyAK08d8vE

That is the way tyre sounds like, but I think my head would explode after some laps drifting

Anyway, other than that, I'm not sure about the crash sounds you made, think the original ones is way off(but I dont hear them much:razz

Nice that ppl bother to upgrade the sounds in this game, since they are not "all that" when stock

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG