The online racing simulator
Drifting ..
(58 posts, started )
Drifting ..
I am having a seriously REALLY bad time with drifting, no matter how hard I try I just cannot get it, I spent a few hours just last night trying to drift.. I am able to some what drift in the FXO and am quite comfortable with it but the setup just seemed to pull the car out front end first really easily, I don't know if that's just a normal characteristic of the car or if it's my setup and/or driving.

Just curious then if anyone had a drift setup for an FXO primarily for a racing wheel.. After trying numerous times with the XR GT's (both ones) I just absolutely cannot drift with either of them.. I would really like to learn how to drift and do it well and I wouldn't be making this post otherwise, or spending as much time as I have on it as well.

Thanks >.>
Drifting is stupid. Don't learn to drift.
If you are interested in drifting you should buy or download illegally Keiichi Tsuchiyas Drift Bible. Believe it or not, but I learnt how to drift with xrt(?) after I watched it. Just keep on practising, I think you should start with that non turbo xrt(?)

Ps. I`m not good with those car names
Quote from deggis :Drifting is stupid. Don't learn to drift.

WTF? If you don't like to drift, don't say it like that Deggis illepall
Hi,

Yes i would try to learn how to drift. I can drift all day long on the Autocross car park, but when i come to a track, i cant seam to get the steering right, i seam to either spin around, or go to slow around the corner.
#6 - ajp71
Quote from deggis :Drifting is stupid. Don't learn to drift.

Really this is just as annoying as when the occasional ricer comes and makes threads here such as 'i WaNT lOAdZ oF RudE BoY SpeaKErs' just leave them alone and let them drift if they want to. Not saying I like it especially, just like oval racing, but that doesn't mean I go and SPAM an oval racing forum
#7 - shim
the hard part of drifting is knowing when to start countersteering and learning when it will catch again after sliding the rear about.. there are heaps of drifters @ http://www.lfs-torque.net/

with most of the ppl there, if they see you in a server, they will be happy to teach you how to drift.. all ya gotta do is ask

also join the drift servers and ask about for tips, it dun matter if its the demo or S2, there are heaps of drift servers about
Quote from DudesGeof : I am able to some what drift in the FXO and am quite comfortable with it but the setup just seemed to pull the car out front end first really easily, I don't know if that's just a normal characteristic of the car or if it's my setup and/or driving.

It's a FWD, they're not supposed to drift :P
#9 - Gunn
Quote from Lautsprecher[NOR] :It's a FWD, they're not supposed to drift :P

Yep, and this is why he can't seem to get it together. Try the XRT, FZ50, RB4 or LX cars. RWD highly recommended as the choice for sideways action. Just forget the formula and GTR cars, their smaller steering range makes effective counter-steering something of a miracle. Also, many drifters seem to favour road normal tyres on the rear, for longevity I assume.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#10 - Gunn
Quote from thisnameistaken :
Maybe he's using a DFP with the full rotation range enabled, that would make it hard to drift.

Not with some practice and the right setup, according to several drifters who use this gear. Maybe setup is the next hurdle?
here if your useing a DFP (i do i lkove it for drift now that im used to it) try this setup it's a really good drift setup some one gave me online. i dont see why it woodnt work with out a DFP so even if you dont have one give it a try
Attached files
XR GT TURBO_drift.set - 132 B - 379 views
Quote from Lautsprecher[NOR] :It's a FWD, they're not supposed to drift :P

:| I did not know that, and I love that car .. oh well.

Thanks for that setup, I am getting the drift bible which someone elsewhere recommended. I have tried joining a couple drift servers which didn't turn out too well because the people were somewhat nubs.. I have an MS Sidewinder Racing Precision Pro but I'll try that setup anyways.. Thanks for all this awesome response, wasn't sure what to expect here

as to what clownpaint said I agree with what he said about broadening skills, I'm not a very great driver in lfs to start but I still love the game, and having drifting as one of those things I can do would be nice to have.
i have a few helpful pointers that really improved my drifting ability, use higher gears than normal and never floor it on a corner unless you're already at full opposite lock, even then it can be difficult to recover.
use small bursts of half throttle and be in the gear u wanna be in before you reach the start of corner.

ky national reverse is a favourite of mine and was the track i learnt on.
has great corners for drifting,

oh yeah, use reverse variants of tracks for drifting due to the arrangement of corners from fast to slow.

i hope i've helped, may you drift in style and finesse(on servers labelled as drift only )

edit: heres a replay of a few laps so you can observe how i drift...
Attached files
ky nat rev fz50 drift good.spr - 144.4 KB - 296 views
I usually try using second gear and i start at about 50-60mph through a corner and then i feather it through a corner.. Usually I overcorrect after the corner to get the car back on track but before that sometimes i tap the hand brake and give it some more gas to get through the corner and get the car going around back but it either goes too much or it just doesnt go at all which results in me trying to press down a bit more on the gas and turning the wheel a bit more into the corner
First of all, do NOT use the FXO to drift. I highly reccomend the XR GT Turbo. First of all, you need to learn to countersteer. When your used to racing, if you drift you countersteer more than you should. Once you initiate the drift, try to keep the degree of angle your wheels are at the same. Slight adjusments mid drift help alot. Im not home right now, but i will be in an hour or so. Once im home, ill make a replay for you of the different kinds of initiations for drifting, and just an example lap. Im not the best drifter, but it will give you a sense of what to do.
I wouldn't mind actually going and doing some multiplayer with anyone that is willing to help.. last night I tried drifting with the xr gt turbo for a bit, and this morning i switched between the xr gt and the xr gt turbo and kinda stuck with the xr gt after finding some decent setups. I'm still counter steering way tooooo much but am trying to stop that. Some corners I still have no clue when I should initiate the drift or the best way to initiate the drift, I've gone between just turning into the corner and feathering on the gas or using the clutch lightly or tapping the hand brake once or twice before going into a corner .. I downloaded a few setups from lfs torque and i got the xr gt turbo soft setup and it's not that bad, I just have been trying to tweak it a bit more to my liking, but as I said it's not that bad, and I think I may stick with it for learning
As Vendetta pointed out, counter steering is a big part in drifting. If you are using a DFP, try lessening the force feedback and actually see if you can toss the wheel around more. Also as some people in this thread pointed out too, use the XRT because of its rear wheel drive and its power, but when using the XRT you must be careful with throttle. XRT takes more throttle control than RB4 and such, and don't try drifting FWD. Front wheel drive cars are pretty dififcult to get correctly. Go into a few servers and ask for help and watch replays and actual drifting videos of in car veiws to see some of the foot work and try to adjust some of their techniques into the game. Surprisingly it's sometimes helpful. For the most part, the major thing about the XRT is the throttle control and countersteering actions. Flooring the XRT through drifts if your not that experienced will just spin you out, and if you're quite new to the DFP if you have one, it'll take a while to get used to the high steering angles and such. Good luck.
I have a Microsoft SideWinder Racing Precision Pro as I mentioned earlier.. I also think I will upload a video of my drifting that I took on blackwood going reversed, nothing special of course.. and yes i do know that counter steering is VERY difficult to get use to with drifting, I seem to always over counter steer unless I really think about NOT doing it..

I wasn't really a fan of that Fern Bay track when I did multiplayer and Vendetta was there :\\

Edit - Bit of an edit here, just uploading my latest [drifting] driving clip
Attached files
geoff_BL1R_XRT_17.spr - 11.5 KB - 233 views
geoff_BL1R_XRT_22.spr - 10.9 KB - 226 views
Quote from DudesGeof ::| I did not know that, and I love that car .. oh well.

Thanks for that setup, I am getting the drift bible which someone elsewhere recommended. I have tried joining a couple drift servers which didn't turn out too well because the people were somewhat nubs.. I have an MS Sidewinder Racing Precision Pro but I'll try that setup anyways.. Thanks for all this awesome response, wasn't sure what to expect here

as to what clownpaint said I agree with what he said about broadening skills, I'm not a very great driver in lfs to start but I still love the game, and having drifting as one of those things I can do would be nice to have.

If you want to wait out a little bit, ADA is holding a drift competition, and I will be hosting all of the replays on my webspace for people to download. They will be replays of their runs. The best of the best. I'll let you know when they are up.
Quote from DudesGeof :I have a Microsoft SideWinder Racing Precision Pro as I mentioned earlier.. I also think I will upload a video of my drifting that I took on blackwood going reversed, nothing special of course.. and yes i do know that counter steering is VERY difficult to get use to with drifting, I seem to always over counter steer unless I really think about NOT doing it..

I wasn't really a fan of that Fern Bay track when I did multiplayer and Vendetta was there :\\

Edit - Bit of an edit here, just uploading my latest [drifting] driving clip

Fern Bay is the easiest track to drift IMO. My favorite is South City, but becuase theirs walls on each side, the track will be alot harder to drift. I remember the first time i got my wheel, and i was drifting south city, i would bump everywhere
#21 - shim
try this set out, tis wha i use for manji and normal drifting..

i did a test run with the set you are using and i almost killed myself.. that was the first drift set ive tryed that i couldnt drift with.. :P

also i noticed you where very shy with the throttle, try using a little more to get the car sliding a bit..
Attached files
XR GT TURBO_Driftset.set - 132 B - 311 views
Quote from shim :i did a test run with the set you are using and i almost killed myself..

...In LFS?
#23 - shim
yah, that set scared me that badly.. :P
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
Yeah, it`s funny how just a skin can make such a effect on driving style, if I use RS*R skin my drifting goes to pile of poo, when I use my own HKS skin it`s way easier. But dunno what it makes
hey shim, thanks for the set.. I love it already.. seemed a lot more like it fit my driving style

i've only done one lap trying it on blackwood, here it is :O .. the car felt a lot more controllable
Attached files
geoff_BL1R_XRT_32.spr - 15.9 KB - 214 views

Drifting ..
(58 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG