The online racing simulator
#1 - J@tko
Kyoto 500 Practice Evenings
In this thread, I will post information about the Kyoto 500 Practice evenings. Due to other commitments, we may only decide to have a practice evening on the same actual day, but we'll post in here as soon as we know.

There will be a separate post for each evening, giving all the vital information, such as server, password, format e.t.c

Each evening will be a little different, for example some will be lots of shorter sprint races, others longer ones.

The purpose of these evenings is to get you more experienced with the cars and each other, to gain your online laps needed, to fulfill the appearance requirement and for the admins to get to know you.

Hope to see you all there guys

EDIT 1: I will get a register going for people turning up
EDIT 2: To be 'present' at an evening will usually mean being there for at least 1 race. Putting you as present on the register will be at my discretion.
#2 - J@tko
Practice Session #1 - April 27th
Practice Evening Number 1:

Server: [url="lfs://|FRO%7CFormulaRacing.Org%7C%234|0|S2|/"]FRO Server 4[/url] (FRO|FormulaRacing.Org|#4)
Password: See the Private Message you have been sent
Time and date: 27/04/08 (this Sunday), starting at around 8pm BST
Format: 10 min quali - 20 lap race - 10 min quali - 60 lap race w/pit stop.

+2 edits to the above post.

Non-Kyoto 500 entrants will be kicked.
BST is what we're currently on right?
Quote from J@tko :
Password: See PM (coming soon )

Jack you idiot

You sent me a PM to send to everyone else without the password in, and now you want me to send the pass.

What the heck do I do now? Re-PM 25 and tell them I failed?

EDIT: The 25 people have been re-PMed
#5 - J@tko
Quote from JO53PHS :Jack you idiot

You sent me a PM to send to everyone else without the password in, and now you want me to send the pass.

What the heck do I do now? Re-PM 25 and tell them I failed?

EDIT: The 25 people have been re-PMed

Oh shit. Sorry Joe

It was late last night and I was really tired

Really sorry!

EDIT: Can u PM me the pass?
epic fails dong well here see you tomorow
#7 - Fuse5
wont be attending tomorrow.

1. It is way too late for me for a sunday evening ( i go to school, and i dont live in the UK)
2. I have a GTTC race as well.
could i race tomorrow?
i just need to get the 300 laps.
Quote from Stefani24 :could i race tomorrow?

i think it is opened for everyone who signed up
Quote from Fuse5 :wont be attending tomorrow.

1. It is way too late for me for a sunday evening ( i go to school, and i dont live in the UK)
2. I have a GTTC race as well.

Ok, thats fine

There'll be plenty of other opportunities. We'll start with one a week for the moment, then by the time we get close it might end up being one every evening

Quote from Stefani24 :could i race tomorrow?

Yep.

Quote from TFalke55 :i think it is opened for everyone who signed up

Yep.
BST is the time zone you are in, right J@tko?
What Joe said

BST = EDT +5

There will be a TS server - information to come
Sorry bout the incident during SC period at start O_O I have no clue why I put it in neutral and back to first. :S

Anyways, was a cool race. I did bad but probably just because I was really thinking about my hw.

Sorry I had to leave halfway, I just have to start working now.

I'll try to attend the next one. Hopefully it wont be during the exam weekend!
Issues we noticed:
  • Clutches burning on the second grid
  • People having no idea what was going on
  • Start procedure still a tad rusty
  • Not enough admins on server
  • Too much chat?
Solutions:
  • Um. Niko?
  • See below for more (when it comes)
  • Practice makes perfect
  • We'll be doing it at a different time next time
  • Comments? - TS Server?
If you have anything else - then please comment.
Maz has just pointed out on TS that there may be a language barrier issue. If you don't understand anything, please ask someone - we will happily help
When the safety car was announced, not a single car slowed down a bit. I'm still waiting for a replay to look into, but until then I want to know from others why my car was spun and demolished. Other than that, great racing guys!
the safety car
i had too point but one seems to have been talked about so ill leave that

number 2 was.
the safety car.
can anyone please explain why?
all i can see is it gives someone something to do or bunch the pack up when your mates aint winning

you see i thought it was to slow the pack down after a crash. but when to day we did the rolling start and got going right away someone crashed and it came out, almost useless really but ok but as the pack got closer to each other there was another crash just before t3 and what did the so called safety car do? pulled in and the race restarted i mean seems kinda stupid to me but whatever i just hope all this crap is sorted before the race bacause ifs it like it was today, it'll be piss poor
Quote from h3adbang3r :When the safety car was announced, not a single car slowed down a bit. I'm still waiting for a replay to look into, but until then I want to know from others why my car was spun and demolished. Other than that, great racing guys!

Quote from Kyoto 500 rulebook :
Safety Car procedure
2. You may continue to pass other cars, until you cross the S/F line. Watch for local yellows.

I think that is one of the major weaknesses of the rulebook. It should be like in f1 today. The positions should be freezed instantly and maybe a suggestion to do it better, you should put speedlimiter until the leader catched up to the safety car. You can easily see this as admin, if someone uses the limiter or not. Another thing zsmy suggested: the first gear is madentory to set to 112kph. So the admins could control it easier. Also the usage of Race Director, with this insim buttons showing you a caution (like in reallife IndyCar the speedo does).
Quote from TFalke55 :I think that is one of the major weaknesses of the rulebook. It should be like in f1 today. The positions should be freezed instantly and maybe a suggestion to do it better, you should put speedlimiter until the leader catched up to the safety car. You can easily see this as admin, if someone uses the limiter or not. Another thing zsmy suggested: the first gear is madentory to set to 112kph. So the admins could control it easier. Also the usage of Race Director, with this insim buttons showing you a caution (like in reallife IndyCar the speedo does).

I agree.

I am considering chaging it to:

"As soon as the caution is called, racing is stopped. An immediate no overtaking rule will be enforced. Cars are to slow down to safety car speed and proceed around the track until they reach the SC"
How is it possible to catch up to a car which is going at the same speed as you?

If the SC is going at 112 kmh and you are going at 112 kmh USUALLY you shouldn't catch up. So perhaps just no overtaking rule and slowing down is recommended rule.

(I'm talking about the slowing down to SC speed and catch up to SC rule btw)
Yeah, that doesn't make any sense.

If you immediately slow to SC speed you'll never catch the SC.
Quote from DeadWolfBones :Yeah, that doesn't make any sense.

If you immediately slow to SC speed you'll never catch the SC.

well the SC wait at start finish, so you will catch up... that's my thought about it
It will wait for EVERYONE on the track to catch up? Even those who pit during SC period and who are going to have to keep that SC speed (Which will make it impossible for them to rejoin at the back of the pack).

Imo it should simply be no overtake and catch up to the SC at a safe speed.
Quote from evilpimp :It will wait or EVERYONE on the track to catch up? Even those who pit during SC period and who are going to have to keep that SC speed (Which will make it impossible for them to rejoin at the back of the pack).

Imo it should simply be no overtake and catch up to the SC at a safe speed.

I think we are speaking about the beginning of a caution. The Pits will be closed, visualisized by an InSim, and audiosized by the Admins on Teamspeak, and the SC is waiting on the Start/finish line for the leader and then you go on. When the Pits are opened you can catch up to the last man in the row behind the SC.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG