The online racing simulator
Round 3: Drivers' Meeting
Hello, racers!

As you're probably well-aware, this is going to be one of the most demanding rounds of the 2008 season, and I want to make sure that we're all properly prepared and in the right mindset for it. FE Gold offers a lot of challenges--high curbs, tight pit entry/exit, and lots of places to go off at high speed. In all likelihood, we will not see another SC-free race like we did at KY2. But we can minimize the chaos if we work together on it. Here are some things to keep in mind:

1) Last race we saw a dramatic improvement in the way you all handled lapping and being lapped. This was great to see, and I hope that it continues on this tighter, more difficult track. Lapped cars and lapping cars alike must realize that FE Gold contains corners that tighten drastically and can prevent cars from going through side-by-side. We strongly recommend, for example, against attempting passes into the chicane, or through the final downhill corner in the esses--these will almost always end in disaster. Please, just use your heads and remember that 4 hours is a very long race. If you lose a few seconds waiting for a safe place to pass, there's almost always time to make it back up.

A quick refresher on the dos and don'ts of lapping/being lapped:
  • If you're being lapped, do not contest a clearly-presented pass.
  • If you've been lapped, do not attempt to re-pass immediately.
  • If you're lapping, be clear to the driver ahead what you intend to do. Do not surprise them.
2) We didn't get to try it out at KY2, so please be aware of the new pit exit procedure. Refer to rule K3.1 for all the details, but the general idea is: during a SC period a status bar will appear in the lower middle portion of the screen. The status bar will have two indicators... one for track status (which will read "YELLOW") and one for pit exit status (which will read either "OPEN" or "CLOSED"). If the exit status indicator reads "CLOSED," you must not exit the pit lane, or you will be given a DT penalty. This penalty is given automatically by our new insim program.

Drivers are expected to queue at pit exit in an orderly fashion. There should be NO bumping in the queue. If somehow contact in the pits knocks an innocent driver across the pit exit, the incident will be reviewed and the driver who put him there will be given a harsh penalty.

In order to hopefully lessen the chance of this happening, we have added the following bit to our FE3 layout:

We ask that the first driver in line with a closed pit exit stop where the signs indicate so that there is a nice "buffer zone" before anyone is in danger of crossing the line. FE Gold is already a tight pit lane, and this addition makes it a little tighter. We ask that you do not use the final pit box, except in case of emergency.

3) For this and subsequent rounds, we have introduced a SC Alert command: "$SC". It must be in all caps--$sc will not do anything. We encourage drivers to bind this command to a wheel button or to an ALT/CTRL+F-key bind. When used, the bind sends a visual alert to all connected admins with your car number, driver name, and current sector. Admins will then train their eyes on you and assess the situation.

This alert should be used if:
  • You've flipped.
  • You are out of fuel.
  • You are stuck in the sand.
  • You are involved in a wreck that involves a significant portion of the field or that is blocking the track
Using the bind does not spam chat messages to other drivers (it's hidden), but you will get a yellow chat echo confirming that the alert has been sent to the connected admins.

Please do not abuse this bind, and do not spam it. One use per incident, please.

4) The pit entry on this track is particularly tricky, as it comes on the inside of the exit of a high speed corner. Please, in entering the pits do not slow drastically while on the racing line if there is a car behind you. If a car is following closely and you need to pit, consider using your blinkers to indicate that you are pitting.

The pit entry commit/blend line is marked out by poles. By the time you reach the white perpendicular lines, you must be within the yellow lines.

When exiting the pits, be aware of cars approaching from behind. As long as you are within the yellow exit lines, you have the right of way, but that doesn't mean you need to make things difficult for cars on-track. The pit exit here dumps you directly onto part of the racing line, so don't try to contest position with a car going much, much faster than you.

5) There will be LOW WIND for this round, as the forecast for Kingston shows 10-20mph winds tomorrow. Please make sure to get some practice in with a variety of conditions in the low wind range, as this is going to play further havoc tomorrow.

Password is the same as it has been for previous rounds. New teams will get a PM.

6) Please, please, please have someone from your team available on IRC/Ventrilo/TS. This is not just so you can contact us, but also so we can contact you (in events like lag, skin problems, etc). IRC is the most central hub, and also the least resource-intensive.

7) The tracker can be found at: http://dbpservers.com/igtc/

As you can see, there is a regular and an ajax-powered version of the tracker, as well as a fastest laps page.

Each team name on the tracker page can be clicked, and the team page will provide some vital stats, including laptimes compared against cars ahead and behind.

Good luck out there!

IGTC Admin Team
Low wind
Quote from DeadWolfBones :
3) For this and subsequent rounds, we have introduced a SC Alert command: "$SC". We encourage drivers to bind this command to a wheel button or to an ALT/CTRL+F-key bind. When used, the bind sends a visual alert to all connected admins with your car number, driver name, and current sector. Admins will then train their eyes on you and assess the situation.

This alert should be used if:
  • You've flipped.
  • You are out of fuel.
  • You are stuck in the sand.
  • You are involved in a wreck that involves a significant portion of the field or that is blocking the track

Great addition!

Low wind. I am fair skinned do you know what the UV index will be?
Low wind at Fern Bay. Not so much a race as a lottery
#5 - Gil07
I'm glad I'm not driving this one
Quote from The Moose :Low wind at Fern Bay. Not so much a race as a lottery

Will definitely make things interesting.

Let's hope for wind on the low end of the low wind scale. :P
Almost forgot!

6)
Please, please, please have someone from your team available on IRC/Ventrilo/TS. This is not just so you can contact us, but also so we can contact you (in events like lag, skin problems, etc). IRC is the most central hub, and also the least resource-intensive.

Thanks!
#8 - Gil07
I thought we weren't supposed to be on your ventrilo the whole race because of server load issues?
Well, the issue is that there aren't enough slots for all teams to have a representative there at once, and it'd be unfair for some teams to have access to our inter-admin communications and others not.

This is why we prefer IRC as the central hub.

So yes, you're right. Ventrilo/TS are mainly for popping on to say your piece and then leave. IRC is for all race long.

However, we could easily set up a separate room for non-admins on the Ventrilo server, if using IRC is a problem.
I'll be on IRC as usual
One of the clocks on the IGTC site is showing GMT +1, as 6:18 currently, another showing GMT as 6:18.

Does qualifying start 24hours + 40 mins from now? (2:00PM Eastern)

Thanks, sorry for the confusion.
Quote from srdsprinter :One of the clocks on the IGTC site is showing GMT +1, as 6:18 currently, another showing GMT as 6:18.

Does qualifying start 24hours + 40 mins from now? (2:00PM Eastern)

Thanks, sorry for the confusion.

This is what I see on the site:

GMT/UTC is 5:22 (17:22)

UTC+1 (BST) is 6:22 (18:22)
UTC-4 (EST) is 1:22 (13:22)
UTC+10 (AEST) is 3:22 (03:22)

Seems right to me.

Qualifying begins at 19:00 GMT/UTC, so...

UTC+1: 20:00
UTC-4: 15:00
UTC+10: 05:00

In other words, about 25.5hr from now.

edit: I think we can probably get rid of the Australian clock for now, though. :P
Not all that I see, click on about the IGTC.

But thank you for the clarification!!!!
Attached images
time.JPG
Aha, another good catch. It was fixed on the main index but not on the individual pages. :S

I'll fix it in a little bit. Thanks.
I have update the clocks on the website now. Everyone also remember that the races are done on UTC not BST so it is still at 19:00 UTC which is 20:00 BST as are the rest of the races for this season now.
PDT = 12:00 Noon?

Or am I the only one living in such a crackpot timezone?
if 12 noon is 1 hr later than it used to be then yes.
Ok, excellent
7) The tracker can be found at: http://dbpservers.com/igtc/

As you can see, there is a regular and an ajax-powered version of the tracker, as well as a fastest laps page.

Each team name on the tracker page can be clicked, and the team page will provide some vital stats, including laptimes compared against cars ahead and behind.

Enjoy!
Also:

Please note that the SC Alert bind must be in all caps for it to work.

$SC, not $sc.

Thanks.
Best of luck tomorrow everyone.

27 cars around a very fast, very dangerous track is obviously cause to be weary going into tomorrow.

We are coming off the cleanest IGTC race to date, the splendid KY race. As a realist, it's clear this won't be a repeat, but I feel we're all making progress towards a level of professionalism that we can all be proud off.

My hat's off to the admins/programers/support staff of this series. Every race, they go above and beyond analyzing and implementing tangible improvements. This work is hugely impressive, and goes miles into making this the finest simulated recreation of real endurance racing. Being in this league is an honor and a privelage.

Race hard, race clean, good luck tomorrow!

Thanks,
|||Stu
S.Duff
S3Racing
DWB, what's the diference between the Ajax tracker and the other?

Good luck to all teams tonight!
GL for all teams tonigh
Rising Phoenix Motorsports wishes everyone a good and clean race tonight. Hopefully there won't be too much carnage.

Good luck,
RP K.O'Keefe
RP MistaTea
RP R.Pearson
Quote from Gil07 :DWB, what's the diference between the Ajax tracker and the other?

the AJAX tracker will refresh the data on screen, behind the screen. you won't see the browser automatically refresh like the other, normal one.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG