The online racing simulator
Good (no malware) free? CD ripper plz!
(32 posts, started )
Must be relatively cretin-proof as it's my sister who needs it. I don't ever really put my music on my computer so I don't know what to suggest to her.

Thanks in advance!
Much appreciated, I've passed the links on.

Sister: Why can't I just put wav files on my mp3 player? :rolleyes:
I use Windows Media Player...
Winamp?
Although the free version is limited to something silly like 2x speed.

I also think the newest version of Nero (like Ultra or Ultimate or whatever) supports disc ripping.
Or you could just use Windows Media Player.

Be gentle with me.
I didn't even know you could use WMP tbh. Don't know if she's got WinAMP and it's a bit hard to even find the preferences menu, let alone use it. Then she'd probably do what I do and wonder why - the next day - it doesn't make any noise when she plays music, eventually discovering a pile of 100 half-written files in a folder somewhere.
Audiograbber works fine for me.
I always used to use CDex, as linked by Shotglass.
Pretty sure it is foolproof.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I didn't even know you could use WMP tbh.

I think it might only rip to wma, or low bitrate mp3s (at least, without installing anything extra for it to use). Been a few years since I've had the misfortune of using it though.
By default, WMA yes, but in option change to MP3, from 128 upto 320, so good enough!
Nero 7 FTW. Thanks piratebay
Quote from Bean0 :I always used to use CDex, as linked by Shotglass.
Pretty sure it is foolproof.

And will happily rip "CDExtra" CDs (was how I came across it some years back)

Regards,

Ian
#15 - joen
I always use EAC: http://www.exactaudiocopy.de
I´ve also used the already mentioned CDex, which is really good too
In this case CDex probably is the better choice as it´s a bit simpler.
Mediamonkey, so easy, my missus could use it...........
I've been using CDex (first link) for years. Flawless.
Yeah, CDex or EAC are the way to go. LAME v0 ftw!
Exact Audio Copy is the way to go if your sister wants quality. If not, anything will do. But I don't think it's exactly the easiest one to use. And compressing isn't very built in.

Quote from joen :I always use EAC: http://www.exactaudiocopy.de
I´ve also used the already mentioned CDex, which is really good too
In this case CDex probably is the better choice as it´s a bit simpler.

#20 - J.B.
Don't know if it's still true but last time I was looking for a ripper EAC was the only one that actually did some kind of digital error checking on the data it copies. All the others will but put clicking, damaged tracks on your HD without blinking, if the CD is dirty or scratched. That's why I always say audio CD's are only semi-digital as digitized data without error checking doesn't take advantage of one of the most fundamental features of digital data: 1:1 copies.
theres tons of error checking correction and concealment going on in a cd decoder... with a properly functioning drive you can have a 1mm wide scratch and youll never be able to hear that theres anything wrong
#22 - J.B.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R ... Obtaining_an_accurate_rip

If I do a digital copy I want 1:1 garanteed or nothing, just like with CD-ROM or DVD Video. With Audio CD this isn't the case. Even EAC has to use a checksum database to make sure a rip really is the same as what other people have ripped.
like i said a properly functioning drive will work just fine and a little dirt or scratch wont be problematic
also unless the drive is complete junk it should never under any circumstances produce clicks
#24 - J.B.
I just ripped a random CD twice with audiograbber and then md5ed the results. Turns out both rips were identical, something that never happened last time I did these kind of tests.

So maybe the problem isn't as big as I thought (maybe old drive was rubbish?) but there's still a fundamental problem when people come up with stuff like accuraterip just to make copies of digital data.
I use Total Audio Converter. Is the most powerfull audio converter I have ever tryied. But it is not exactly free

(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG