The online racing simulator
How do you track your setup changes?
(14 posts, started )
When you've got a setup that's pretty decent, how do you track any changes you make to a setup? I imagine most people use a notebook. What do you write in it? If you don't use a notebook what do you use?
Generally I don't, if I can think of something that needs changing, I normally create a new setup and change it in that.
Well usually I start with my setup and give it the name 'WIP'. I draw the big lines of the kind of setup that I want and I do some testing. When I need to adjust something, I do it one at a time. I start with the suspension. If I change the rebound, then I'll call the setup 'WIP_rbnd' and so on. Best way not to loose a great setup when testing.

Edit: You might end up with 275534 'WIP_' setups but it's worth it.
Quote from Kamrock :Generally I don't, if I can think of something that needs changing, I normally create a new setup and change it in that.

Me too I should probably get a notebook or something I have ~12 GT2 Fzr ky3 setups.. I Really hope there is a notes section In setups for the next update.
Well, I use my head to remember which changes I made. For example I make a lil change, test drive and see if its ok if not i put it back to what it was.

Or else, I make different setups with TEST in it for example if im testing for FE3 ill put TEST FE3 RACE or TEST FE3 QUALI.

Then once i have that test that feels better then original I made TEST FE3 RACE 2 or TeST FE2 QUALI 2 and so on.
Ye that's what I do as well (I've been meaning to get a notebook) I name mine: TRACK CODE-PB TIME (* for testing)....if I did 2:21:18 at Kyoto GP I'll drop the 2min. and name the set: KY3-21.18 then copy it to test and name the copy KY3-21.18*, make a little change, test and if I dont like it put it back.

This really dosen't work for different setup combinations though, I tried to print a spread sheet but it was a bit to cumbersome if someone else has a form or something I'd be intersted in sharing
Quote from KSheppard :Ye that's what I do as well (I've been meaning to get a notebook) I name mine: TRACK CODE-PB TIME (* for testing)....if I did 2:21:18 at Kyoto GP I'll drop the 2min. and name the set: KY3-21.18 then copy it to test and name the copy KY3-21.18*, make a little change, test and if I dont like it put it back.

This really dosen't work for different setup combinations though, I tried to print a spread sheet but it was a bit to cumbersome if someone else has a form or something I'd be intersted in sharing

Yeah in my (rather limited) experience it seems that it takes more than one change to adjust a setup. The first change may make the car slower, the second a little faster, and the third much faster. That makes the make a save file for each change a little bit more difficult. I too would be interested in seeing if someone else has a form they use.
I'd be willing to make up an excel sheet we could all use if folks want to give me some input as to what they are thinking/want to see. BTW I've asked Bob to include a .csv export to the VHPA so I could integrate his data with the spreadsheet but I don't know for sure yet if it'll fly.

I like the idea of adding a comments section to the setup screen & while we're adding things I'd like a field added for Setup Best Time (wrong thread I know). Really I think the whole concept of how setups are saved, stored & retrieved needs to be re-worked.
Quote from KSheppard :I'd be willing to make up an excel sheet we could all use if folks want to give me some input as to what they are thinking/want to see. BTW I've asked Bob to include a .csv export to the VHPA so I could integrate his data with the spreadsheet but I don't know for sure yet if it'll fly.

I like the idea of adding a comments section to the setup screen & while we're adding things I'd like a field added for Setup Best Time (wrong thread I know). Really I think the whole concept of how setups are saved, stored & retrieved needs to be re-worked.

Those are all good ideas. Being a noob I can't really tell you what I want to keep track of. I was kind of hoping someone might tell me
Ok, when changing a setup I normally name the setup with it's major trait(fault), the last item changed and the edition number... FI: XFG_SO1_238_os_cmbr

Long file names, but it works, and yes, I do have more than 238 XFG SO1 setups that I really ought to clean up, the benefit is most are hidden from view as I only keep 10 setups for each track in the folder....
Quote from KSheppard :BTW I've asked Bob to include a .csv export to the VHPA so I could integrate his data with the spreadsheet but I don't know for sure yet if it'll fly.

Still on my todo list and I am planning to add it in v3.1.3
So I had some time to kill and thought I'd give this a try. I've attached a screen shot of an excel file, it shoudl fit a B5 sheet nicely or keep it open and fill it in digitally. The excel file needs a little readme to help explain how the formulae work for the Timing Statistics section but I don't feel like doing that until I'm ready to release it (if I ever do :P)

I'm gonna print a few of these, toss them in a small binder and see if it's helpfull or not. If a few others could do the same and give me some feedback I'd appreciate it. I'm looking for thngs like layout / content etc...I think I'll add some check boxes above Track Name for Setup type:Sprint, Endurance, Drift, Drag

Another thing I'm going to try is the language bar, it will perform speach to text in word OR I'll get a free voice record prog. so I can "dictate" my comments on the setup as I drive. (Hopefully this will get around the fact that I loose all my tire heat data as soon as I leave the track)

----------------------
edit: updated image w/check boxes
Attached images
test-data.jpg
Quote from KSheppard :So I had some time to kill and thought I'd give this a try. I've attached a screen shot of an excel file, it shoudl fit a B5 sheet nicely or keep it open and fill it in digitally. The excel file needs a little readme to help explain how the formulae work for the Timing Statistics section but I don't feel like doing that until I'm ready to release it (if I ever do :P)

I'm gonna print a few of these, toss them in a small binder and see if it's helpfull or not. If a few others could do the same and give me some feedback I'd appreciate it. I'm looking for thngs like layout / content etc...I think I'll add some check boxes above Track Name for Setup type:Sprint, Endurance, Drift, Drag

Another thing I'm going to try is the language bar, it will perform speach to text in word OR I'll get a free voice record prog. so I can "dictate" my comments on the setup as I drive. (Hopefully this will get around the fact that I loose all my tire heat data as soon as I leave the track)

----------------------
edit: updated image w/check boxes

This looks good. I think I'll give it a try.
Ok this is the sheet I'm starting to use. It's designed to be printed to an 8.5x11 sheet and folded to be used in a 5.5x8 binder (option 2 in the instruction images)
Attached images
instructions1.jpg
instructions2.jpg
Attached files
Test Data.pdf - 76.5 KB - 216 views

(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG