The online racing simulator
Assymetrical set up
(9 posts, started )
Assymetrical set up
Hi. Man making a decent set-up is hard you know that?
Anyways I started making setups and I started with the MRT.
one thing I noticed is this set up was made using Aston Cadet as
the course I based all the braking and suspension and then the
steering and the ... all the other stuff
This car set up seems to only work on Aston Cadet because of that and it flat out SUCKS on any other track I've tried it on which is
fine cause MRT's on Kyoto long is just plain wrong anyways.

But the point is, I made this car set up symmetrical and after the I dunno 500th lap on that track, I "suddenly" realised this track is basically an oval with a zig zag in it! would making this set up Assymetrical improve overall performance or would the right hand turn and the way the corkscrew goes off to the right be a major factor? Also all the turns have very different radius Would that be something to take into consideration as well?
Did you fed up with those 500 laps or why didn't you drive few dozns more to find out yourself?

I can't create decent setups from scratch at all, but i'm pretty sure that degree or few more negative camber on the outside wheels won't hurt.

At when youre waiting for Bob's mind-blowing answer (damn, I love that guy :shy, why don't you try it out?
For endurance it is needed in general...
For hotlapping, on the big majority of tracks, you do not need a 'very' asymertrical setup. But, you can of course, try to improve the grip on most of the corners by tweaking the camber on each wheel
All my setups are assymetrical, but then I don't bother with qualify/hotlap setups.

It's far more important to have the camber for the outside wheel to be near optimum than the inside wheel however, so in terms of laptimes assymetrics setups only provide faster times on tracks like South City Sprint 1 (+ Rev), where all the corners are one direct (and of course the oval).

With the course in question though, it's important to for the car to be stable on the corkscrew-esque corner, it's possible that using assymetric camber would make bad things happen here. Like Frokki said, just go test it for yourself. In the end, while calculators and spreadsheets can help you create a good base setup very quickly, testing (maybe combined with RAF output analysis) is the only way to get everything perfect, and to handle how you want.

Good luck with the MRT5, it's a great toy although I would agree, it's most fun around autocross layouts and only the tightest circuits.
Thanks for the responses. LOL I used the "toy" MRT to start with because I figured if they let college kids play with it, then it HAS to be pretty easy to set up

Seriously, I knew that I'll have to try for myself to see if an assymetrical set up would be a good idea. I was just hoping for more insight from ppl with more experience and get a clue as to what to expect from doing that.
Well now though your responses give me another question....
I know why you'd want to assymetrical in setting up a race car, but
why Not with a hotlapper/qualifyer? Wouldn't the advantages of having that set up be just as good on lap two as it would lap 22?

I'm gonna go ahead and make an assymetrical set up for Aston Cadet, but I think that corkscrew ain't gonna like it. and I'll have to compensate for it.
Hopefully not enough to make it a waste of time

Also when making set ups, how can you tell when a fine adjustment
improves on the car's performance and not just the natural progress
of the driver?

@BOB I don't have a spreadsheet data base to make set up and I wouldn't understand it if I had one anyways... I Jumped in the car, pitted, slid This thing That ways and That thing This ways, jumped in the car, pitted, slid...... and That thing .... til I was happy with the results
lol I did that pretty much in the order it was written in your manual
Quote from Racer Y :Wouldn't the advantages of having that set up be just as good on lap two as it would lap 22?

On lap 22, if the inside of a tire is completly destroyed, it is not good, while if at the end of one lap, you have 10°c more to the inside of tire than to the outside, it is not a big deal, the car has been performant all the lap (and not after)

Quote from Racer Y : Also when making set ups, how can you tell when a fine adjustment improves on the car's performance and not just the natural progress of the driver?

When you know what to do to be fast (line, acceleration, braking point, apex, etc...) you will know what in the handling is good for you or not, and then you can tweak your setup to optimize the performance.

NB : LFS has some bugs in its physics, so sometimes, you have to tweak the setup to be faster in one strange way (i.e. : max ride height to the front for the Formulas (and why not on the GTR))
Quote from Racer Y :Thanks for the responses. LOL I used the "toy" MRT to start with because I figured if they let college kids play with it, then it HAS to be pretty easy to set up

Seriously, I knew that I'll have to try for myself to see if an assymetrical set up would be a good idea. I was just hoping for more insight from ppl with more experience and get a clue as to what to expect from doing that.
Well now though your responses give me another question....
I know why you'd want to assymetrical in setting up a race car, but
why Not with a hotlapper/qualifyer? Wouldn't the advantages of having that set up be just as good on lap two as it would lap 22?

I'm gonna go ahead and make an assymetrical set up for Aston Cadet, but I think that corkscrew ain't gonna like it. and I'll have to compensate for it.
Hopefully not enough to make it a waste of time

Also when making set ups, how can you tell when a fine adjustment
improves on the car's performance and not just the natural progress
of the driver?

@BOB I don't have a spreadsheet data base to make set up and I wouldn't understand it if I had one anyways... I Jumped in the car, pitted, slid This thing That ways and That thing This ways, jumped in the car, pitted, slid...... and That thing .... til I was happy with the results
lol I did that pretty much in the order it was written in your manual

An asymmetrical setup is usually a very good thing for the cars with off-center seating (most of them). Since there's more weight on one side than the other, if the camber is set the same on both sides, the car will actually ride asymmetrically anway. So, first and foremost, I use asymmetrical setups to compensate for this factor.

After that, camber is largely a matter of tire wear and temperature more than anything else. The best way to tune it, though the most tedious, is to just drive a large number of laps on the track, then check the temps and wear (F9) and adjust accordingly. If you're going for a short but fast time, aim more for even temps, and for endurance, even wear.

A faster but less track specific method is to go out on the skid pad and drive in a circle for a few minutes--but only tune your outside tires on a given run, the inside will always wear improperly if you only turn one way (oval excepted). To tune the right tires, turn left, and to tune the left tires, turn right. Or, make/download a figure-8 autocross track and use that.
LOL, never heard of it being called an oval with zigzags I find assymetrical to with signifigant amounts on the oval only.
I find that i get symmetrical set ups of the web sites and i race them for a few laps to see how they are are wearing and if its pretty equal then i leave them, but on some trakcs like south city (Cant remember which one though) theres some long right corners where the load gos to the outside so i run assymetrical so i to even out the wear.
So really i use both depends on curcuit and car.

Assymetrical set up
(9 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG