The online racing simulator
Flight Simulator X Installation Error.
(49 posts, started )
#1 - sam93
I have a problem when installing Flight Simulator X Deluxe.
It says it can't find a certain file and asks for me to verify a file and it doesn't give me no option, I have checked it into the installation folder and I can't view the .bmp file.

I have took a few screenshots of the error.

I will contact Microsoft support if no one here can give me the solution, just thought it best to try here before contacting Microsoft.
Attached images
FSX_Error_1.JPG
FSX_Error_2.JPG
Looks like a faulty DVD.
Eitehr try to gte a replacement or go to the next electronics store to gte scratches removed.
I think you may have got us confused with a Flight Simulator X forum.
Yeah, FSX install problems are well know within the community.

First thing to do is give the disks a good clean (even if there's no obvious marks on it) that, more often than not sorts it out.

If it fails at the same point with the same problem every install, then it sounds as though you've got a dodgy disk. So take it back to the shop and get a replacement.

If it fails at different points, with different unfound files, then it's a problem with the install shield. A way to get around this is to make a note of the missing/unread file, then click on ignore so it can continue with the rest of the install. Then copy all the already installed files into another folder. Un-install then re-install FSX and again make a note of which files are unfound. You may have to do this a few times. But before long you'll have every files needed you're backup folders, so simply copy and paste into the main FSX folder. (if that makes sense)

I'd also check the numerous flight sim forums, you're bound to find someone else has had exactly the same problem as you, and they should have found a solution.

If you're still not having any luck, then by all means get in touch with Microsoft (but don't phone them, coz it's bloody expensive)

Bloody hell, i must be the slowest typist in the world....
Take the DVD out from the computer and shake it. Then put it back in. Works always

If that doesn't work you need to format all the computers there are in your apartment. After that start a new hobby.
#6 - sam93
Well it can't be a dodgy disk as I have used it to install it twice on my computer and won't be able to take it back now as I have had it for a year and was a xmas present so I wont have a receipt.

I have emailed Microsoft about half hour ago to see what they can do.
FS2004 did have no problems really and since FSX has came out there has been nothing but problems.
Well, it could be a new scratch, so the disk can still be dodgy.
#8 - sam93
I'll do a copy of the disc see if that works, I know it worked with an old game and it deffently works for CD's. Have to now find a disc big enough for the capacity of disc 2.
Copy them to your hard drive and try an install from there.
Hmm... knowing that the guys at microsoft are devilish bastards, I don't think that cloning, burning or copying to the HDD would work...
Clean the disk, either yourself or with a cleaning kit.

Write out 2000 times " I will never buy MS software again"

Copy the disk.

Accept that LFS is far more fun and give up flying !
Quote from ColeusRattus :Hmm... knowing that the guys at microsoft are devilish bastards, I don't think that cloning, burning or copying to the HDD would work...

I've never done it myself But quite a few guys in the flightsim community have done it. It was the only way they could get a clean install

They may have been using witchcraft, sorcery and other black arts, but apparently it can be done
Quote from Racer X NZ :Clean the disk, either yourself or with a cleaning kit.

Write out 2000 times " I will never buy MS software again"

Copy the disk.

Accept that LFS is far more fun and give up flying !

I didn't say that Flighsim's are better then LFS did I. LFS is the simulator I play the most, we all have other games we play, just some of us aren't worried to say we do play other games then LFS. But, LFS is one of the best games I do play.
Quote from tristancliffe :I think you may have got us confused with a Flight Simulator X forum.

Nope, that's why I posted in the Off Topic Section. People here do play Flightsim's so I thought this would be the best place to ask as it is a friendly forum.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It has made an ISO image, just figgers crossed it works. Does anyone here play FSX regular? The only thing about FSX is that you need a pc over 1k in order to play it without hassle on poor performance. Well in saying that I have read a post on one forum that a guy with a 8800GTX, quad core and 4GB of ram struggles a bit, also I think I have read somewhere that someone had trouble with poor performance with 2x8800GTX's in SLI and had an Quad Extreme had problems, aren't Microsoft suppose to be realising updates what sort the performance issues? Obviously they can't do it so a 6yr old could run it but they should do something about it.
I now have another error. This time it is saying that D2Fea~16.cab is corrupt and cannot be used but if I go and explore Disc 2 and go to open D2Fea~16.cab it opens fine. So how will I get around this? Can I extract the folder in the FSX folder or wouldn't it work?
I am thinking of doing a Full system restore now, my pc needs it to get rid of all the useless junk I have on my pc. The only thing is as I have put a different Graphics card in from when I bought it will I need to take that out whilst the system restore is in process? The old one burnt out and isn't really good or will can I keep the new one in and install the drivers later?
Quote from sam93 :I now have another error. This time it is saying that D2Fea~16.cab is corrupt and cannot be used but if I go and explore Disc 2 and go to open D2Fea~16.cab it opens fine. So how will I get around this? Can I extract the folder in the FSX folder or wouldn't it work?

It might open fine, but do all the files extract from it fine?

Basically as others have said this is 99% likely to be a scratched or dusty disc, or a knackered disc drive.

The other 1% I would put down to memory errors etc, but that's very unlikely.
I have done a full system restore and one of the partions of my hd is 110GB what is for documents but as it is bigger then the one for programs, so I use the documents partion for programs. I have just done a system restore and it only has 19.1GB left when it should have loads more, how can I free up this memory?
system restore won't delete anything, ot just rests the registry and drivers
Quote from ACCAkut :system restore won't delete anything, ot just rests the registry and drivers

Ok, I have gone through all my folders and can't find the ones what are taking up all my HDD space. Is there a program what can do this for me or do I need to go into a specific folder to delete my old user data from accounts I have had in the past but lost them because of doing a system restore. So if anyone could help me how I would free up the space it will be much appriecated. I have 19.1GB left from a 111GB Partion of the HD and can't find the folders what are taking the space up.
Try CCleaner, google it, first link I imagine.
I'm putting a fiver on it being Temp/Temp internet files....

...and a big yes to CCleaner
Quote from pb32000 :Try CCleaner, google it, first link I imagine.

Always use it, apparently there is an option to delete files from system restores but it always seems to delete the temp files.
Quote from The Moose :I'm putting a fiver on it being Temp/Temp internet files....

...and a big yes to CCleaner

Does that mean I can have a fiver then
A bit off topic, but is name title of the game said as 'Flight Simulator X' or 'Flight Simulator 10'

(49 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG