The online racing simulator
F1 return to slicks!
(77 posts, started )
how can they draw a white line on a slick tire?
Quote from scania :how can they draw a white line on a slick tire?

They could use striped/coloured sidewalls like Champ Car had.
meh..... i seriously expected the cars to look more 90's maybe even 80's, giant rear with small front. I found them the best. Now it looks nearly the same
I didn't expected to change look of cars drastically, but at least all those fines and all aerodynamical shit is gone. Now it looks more like formula car, not like Alien attack combat fighter on four wheels.
That illustration is unofficial, altough probably quite accurate...

The nose section behind the front wheels looks now like a Concorde (that airplane). Looks odd and ugly.

I remember from the pre-season test days Ferrari tested similar looking bodywork and there were pics from it. It looked very much like that illustration.

-
Will those massive wings coming off the engine cover be banned?
Is it true Turbo chargers are coming in '10?
Quote from duke_toaster :Will those massive wings coming off the engine cover be banned?

I expect so, big restrictions on bodywork which protrudes from the main shell.

I think they'll look much nicer overall for it.
Quote from Mustafur :Is it true Turbo chargers are coming in '10?

Engine development freeze continues to 2013. So definitely no.
What will happen to the Ferrari nose solution? It's not much different from a winglet in terms of optimizing the airflow...
I could imagine that this body hole could also be used elsewhere

Anyone knows if that's gonna be banned too?
Quote from deggis :Engine development freeze continues to 2013. So definitely no.

2013? I thought the freeze started at the end of the 2006 season and continued for initially ten years but then shortened to five. Which would mean the ban would end at the end of the 2011 season. Did something change?
Quote from Lateralus :2013? I thought the freeze started at the end of the 2006 season and continued for initially ten years but then shortened to five. Which would mean the ban would end at the end of the 2011 season. Did something change?

Little mistake, I should have said "...freeze continues to 2012 and no new engines until 2013". You're basicly right but I searched old news from autosport:

Jan 2008: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/64660

The teams agreed to shorten the current 10-year freeze on engine development down to five years, with the FIA to start work on a new engine concept that will be ready for the start of 2013.

Oct 2007: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63626

The FIA has announced that the current restrictions on engine development will be tightened to a blanket freeze on all changes for ten years from 2008.
---
The original engine development freeze was introduced for the start of the 2007 season and was expected to remain in place only until a more radical overhaul of the engine regulations was carried out.

That solves it then.
i think it looks ugly. I like all the winglets etc. Don't ask why, i just do. I have gotten used to it i suppose. Also the new cars look kinda half done. And whats the deal with slowing the cars down? F1 should imo be an unlimited formula class with rules governing safety of the drivers through structural integrity not slowing the cars down. If they didn't ban skirts or that brabham and active suspension and so many things that get mechanical grip un-interupted then they wouldn't be in this situation right now.

Bringing slicks back is a start though.
#66 - Jakg
Because speeds of over 200 MPH are very dangerous - if we'd let F1 go unchecked then we'd probably have 200+ MPH corners at certain circuits and that could kill lots of spectators if it went wrong.
Quote from three_jump :What will happen to the Ferrari nose solution? It's not much different from a winglet in terms of optimizing the airflow...

Purpose of that hole is to direct some of that airflow going under nosecone on top of the car. It's not an optimal solution and I would guess that it allowed them to fix some issue without having to redesign new front end which would be useless next year.
Quote from BenjiMC :And whats the deal with slowing the cars down?

Remember when engines changed from V10 to V8? Cars aren't exactly slower now. Now most of the aero crap gets wiped off, but slicks and maybe "KERS" will keep the cars relatively at the same performance level. But slowing the cars is not the primary objective, but making passing easier as ridiculous it sounds.

Quote :F1 should imo be an unlimited formula class

Remember what 'formula' word means. I agree that F1 is getting too close to spec series but if someone just decided to re-invent Can-Am, I don't think safety instructions could keep up when the cars would start to look like F22 fighters.
Quote from deggis :Remember what 'formula' word means. I agree that F1 is getting too close to spec series but if someone just decided to re-invent Can-Am, I don't think safety instructions could keep up when the cars would start to look like F22 fighters.

...and take corners at 300mph, and pull 9Gs so drivers have to wear G-suits.

Quote from BenjiMC :rules governing safety of the drivers through structural integrity not slowing the cars down. If they didn't ban skirts or that brabham and active suspension and so many things that get mechanical grip un-interupted then they wouldn't be in this situation right now.

Structural integrity can only go so far. If a car smashes head-on into a wall at 200mph, no structural integrity will save the driver. Their organs will be liquefied.

They also need to regulate cost. Teams like McLaren, Ferrari, and Toyota are already spending over US$400 million annually. That's ridiculous investment. Reduced cost means increased number of teams who can afford to compete, and hopefully more competition.

If technology is unlimited, then costs will get too high. When teams investment massive amounts of money but can't win or get decent results, the temptation to simply quit is very strong. At least with reduced costs, teams who aren't performing very well do not feel as strong an urge to withdraw.
I think that FIA want to make engine power go lesser & lesser, but recover system power go more & more, so the speed of car won't changh
Quote from three_jump :What will happen to the Ferrari nose solution? It's not much different from a winglet in terms of optimizing the airflow...

The Ferrari nose hole is allowed for 2009, but there's another rule saying the only holes allowed in the sidepods will be for exhausts and suspension mounts. So there really isn't anywhere else it could be used.
Quote from Jakg :Because speeds of over 200 MPH are very dangerous - if we'd let F1 go unchecked then we'd probably have 200+ MPH corners at certain circuits and that could kill lots of spectators if it went wrong.

solution: smaller tracks... its really that simple and much less artificial
Quote from BenjiMC :i think it looks ugly. I like all the winglets etc. Don't ask why, i just do. I have gotten used to it i suppose. Also the new cars look kinda half done.

i know aye i found all the winglets and all the really complicated aero devices fascinating.
Quote from Shotglass :solution: smaller tracks... its really that simple and much less artificial

Even better solution: charge extra for the Corners Of Death and make spectators sign a liability release form. The merchandising possibilities are endless.
Quote from thisnameistaken :The Ferrari nose hole is allowed for 2009, but there's another rule saying the only holes allowed in the sidepods will be for exhausts and suspension mounts. So there really isn't anywhere else it could be used.

didn't know that rule

F1 return to slicks!
(77 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG