The online racing simulator
F1 return to slicks!
(77 posts, started )
F1 return to slicks!
is F1 getting great again :P NO TC, NO max mosley, No grooved Slick tyres.
Also, next year, they'll be banning all the fins and weird pointy bits so the cars should look more like late '90s F1 cars which IMO, were some of the best looking F1 cars ever .
#4 - dev
Quote from henrico-20- :is F1 getting great again :P NO TC, NO max mosley, No grooved Slick tyres.

And the best of it all: NO Michael Schumacher
Quote from dev :And the best of it all: NO Michael Schumacher

AGREED.
Quote from Leprekaun :Also, next year, they'll be banning all the fins and weird pointy bits

Really? Source? Best news in F1 for a long time - sooo much reliance on aero these days that no wonder they can't follow each other closely. Less pointy aero bits festooned everywhere + proper slicks = much, much better racing.
they are making major aero changes next year, taking away winglets and such, but it doesn't necissarily mean that the new cars will look good again. i've heard that in an effort to achieve good aerodynamics under the new rules, some of the cars will be very, very ugly, or at least strange compared to what we are used to. progress only goes forward, not back.
Quote from Leprekaun :Also, next year, they'll be banning all the fins and weird pointy bits so the cars should look more like late '90s F1 cars which IMO, were some of the best looking F1 cars ever .

A 2009 Ferrari is going to break cover this week at Barcelona, but I understand it's going to look more like something from Whacky Races than 1990s F1.
Quote from Storm_Cloud :A 2009 Ferrari is going to break cover this week at Barcelona, but I understand it's going to look more like something from Whacky Races than 1990s F1.

Will it be piloted by Dick Dastardly too?
Can someone post pictures of the new wings/noses that appeared today? Don't have the time to search now
Quote from STROBE :Really? Source? Best news in F1 for a long time - sooo much reliance on aero these days that no wonder they can't follow each other closely. Less pointy aero bits festooned everywhere + proper slicks = much, much better racing.

I agree, may actually be able to watch a full race where the grid isn't decided by T1 =) These are the two best bits I have heard in a long time, give some racing back to the drivers!
Quote from dev :And the best of it all: NO Michael Schumacher

yeah they had to give the other drivers a chance

This isnt the first time they've tested slicks they did it last year as well. The 2009 aero cars look awesome and Ferrari have an interesting front wing.
#13 - DeKo
Quote from Leprekaun :Also, next year, they'll be banning all the fins

im sure the brits will still claim that the fia favours ferrari despite this blatant ban against hamiltons main rival
Quote from de Souza :Can someone post pictures of the new wings/noses that appeared today? Don't have the time to search now

The new cars will prolly look a bit like your avatar.
lol, shot, you really are me. At first I thought Lep's sentence was missing an "n".
The stupid stick on winglets will be gone, but I just think that will make ugly sculpted panels appear, and more things like the Red Bull engine cover. Still with a return to slicks and a reduction in aerodynamics we should see a slight improvement in the racing. But until they take out pitstops we won't see a Ferrari overtake anyone on the track unless they break down in qualifying.
Quote from Leprekaun :Also, next year, they'll be banning all the fins and weird pointy bits so the cars should look more like late '90s F1 cars which IMO, were some of the best looking F1 cars ever .

i actually quite think that the windlets make the cars look much better.

Quote from STROBE :Really? Source? Best news in F1 for a long time - sooo much reliance on aero these days that no wonder they can't follow each other closely. Less pointy aero bits festooned everywhere + proper slicks = much, much better racing.

http://www.f1technical.net/for ... mp;st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Bah seems like I really am the only one who thinks nowadays F1 cars are the sexiest vehicles ever.

+1 for the slicks though.
Quote from traxxion :Bah seems like I really am the only one who thinks nowadays F1 cars are the sexiest vehicles ever.

Yes, I think you are. A lot of the time a functional design tends to look great, but CFD and FEA produces shapes (not just in F1) that are theoretically 'better', but rarely look nice.
Even though the proposals are just that, you have to presume that the teams have a little more knowledge about what is definite than us fans.

Regs will be finalised by 1st September afaik.

Couple of pics from testing.

McLaren with 2009-spec rear wing & slicks from yesterday.
Renault with dodgy looking fin from today.
Attached images
pedro_3.jpg
aleron_5.jpg
Quote from traxxion :Bah seems like I really am the only one who thinks nowadays F1 cars are the sexiest vehicles ever.

+1 for the slicks though.

I agree with you. This is 21st century and i love the way that cars look .

I´ve seen a F18 fighter really close and it´s the same feeling of air flowing allong the shape. The way the honda looks remains me of a transformer and i love it

Anyway, i want the slick tyres back and if i get better racing i prefer to get rid of all the aero
-
(traxxion) DELETED by traxxion : double post
Quote from tristancliffe :Yes, I think you are. A lot of the time a functional design tends to look great, but CFD and FEA produces shapes (not just in F1) that are theoretically 'better', but rarely look nice.

Sometimes I think people think everything was always better in the past... I tend to think people that can't enjoy new techniques or looks, are too conservative..
Do know that I absolutely loved the F1 cars back in the 90's, the '95 benetton with the white rims being the most gorgeous example, but this is so sexy I could cry
In another ten years time, I'm quite sure I'll have another favorite that's even better... I suppose there's something to say for both preferences, but for me what's in the past is in the past; I live today

Edit:
Quote from ATic ATac :I agree with you. This is 21st century and i love the way that cars look .

I´ve seen a F18 fighter really close and it´s the same feeling of air flowing allong the shape.

Wooo thanks! My thoughts exactly!
Quote from Bean0 :Regs will be finalised by 1st September afaik.

Where did you read/hear this? Any source?

F1 return to slicks!
(77 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG