The online racing simulator
S2 voucher competition - FBM @ BL1 (Only for demo-users)
Unsure where to put this thread. It isn't a league (Because it consists of only a qualification and a race), and if I would put it into "events", no demo users would find it, and thus it would lose it's meaning...

I'm going to host a special race on 25.5.2008 (15:00 UTC. You can see the UTC time when you start single player). It is going to be a long race (50 laps with mandatory pit stop) using Formula BMW on Blackwood GP. The point is to get demo-users to race "seriously" (Meaning: No messing around. Drive for pure victory). To get things really interesting, I (And the sponsors, of course) am willing to give S2 voucher to the winner.

Due to the fact that there are only 12 slots on demo-servers, and because one slot is reserved for safety car, there will be only 11 racers, and thus there must be pre-qualification.

The qualification is two-fold:
  1. Reply to this post (Or by using private message). Only after you have done this, you can participate to driving valuation (Requires password). 17.5 is the deadline for joining this competition (Because the last pre-qualification will be held on 13.5). Give me at least these details of yourself:
    • Real name
    • Country
    • LFS experience (For how long have you played)
    • Other simulator experience (Optional)
    • Racing experience (Reall life, optional)
    • What would you do if you win a S2-license
    Please note that you don't earn any points from this, so be honest.

2. Driving valuation
    • Every sunday (20.4, 27.4, 4.5, 11.5 and 18.5) from 12:00 to 13:00 UTC AND from 16:00 to 17:00 UTC (Due to the fact that 12:00 UTC is too early in the morning) on server "S2 Voucher Competition - P-Q". You can participate as many times as you like (Meaning, you can try to best your time even every week. The server is running 24/7, so you can even practice with other competitors. When no pre-qualification, the name of the server is "S2 Voucher Competition - Prac").
    • Drive as many laps you like. I will write down your best lap-time after the pre-qualification.
    • You can get maximum of 10 points (Depends on your time, time of other racers and number of participants. The equation is pretty complicated, but more than one racer can have 10 points).
    • I will also give points to drivers who follows racing-etiquette and rules. Max points for this is 5.
      • It may or may not have something to do with safety car.
      • It may or may not have something to do with asking questions about the rules.
      • It will always have to do with racing-etiquette and sportsmanship.
Rules:
  1. Server configuration (On pre-qualification)
    • Track: Blackwood GP
    • Car: Formula BMW
    • Number of competitors: 11
    • Number of laps: 1 hour qualification
    • Starting order: None
    • Pit-stops: None
    • Weather: Cloudy afternoon, low wind
    • Server: S2 Voucher Competition - P-Q
    • Password: Will be given to the competitors by private message after they have signed for the competition.
  2. Server configuration (On race-day)
    • Track: Blackwood GP
    • Car: Formula BMW
    • Number of competitors: 11
    • Number of laps: 50
    • Starting order: Defined by 30 minutes qualification
    • Pit-stops: Yes. You must pit at least once
    • Weather: Cloudy afternoon, low wind
    • Server: S2 Voucher Competition - Race
    • Password: Will be given to the competitors by private message before the race.
  3. General rules
    • You must not have a license. This competition is not so you can have a second account.
    • You must not have a bad connection. If you are lagging too badly during pre-qualification or race, you will be disqualified.
    • You must use skins I give to you. This race is sponsored by certain companies and associations, and thus the cars will have sponsors. Also, each skin has your surname and nationality flag printed, so it will add realism.
    • Do not use setups others have made. Instead, use your own setups (It is allowed to modify setup made by others for your driving style and -line, however). It is possible that you must send your setup while racing, and thus we can verify it is not from (For example) teaminferno. If you use setup made by others, you will be disqualified.
    • If the server goes down for any reason, we will have another race later on the same day. I will check the replay and see the positions (Starting order will be the order when the server went down). All who have quit racing (Accidents, lag, disconnection...) can join this race. However, those who were disqualified can't. The amount of laps for this race is 50-laps driven.
  4. Racing rules
    • If you have technical difficulties (Too much lagging), marshals will inform you that you must drive to the pits and quit racing. This will only be used if you lag really badly.
    • If UFO hijacks you and your car (Got disconnected. Can't think any kind of realistic situation where race car suddently disappears...), you are not allowed to continue the race. You are free to rejoin the server, but you may only spec after that.
    • You are not allowed to shift+p or shift+s if you are not inside a garage. If you can't continue the race, try to drive to the garage and shift+p there. If you can't drive the car (Too much suspension damage for example so you can't keep the car steady. It would be safer not to continue driving), park your car in a safe place (And leave it there. If you want to spectate others, use tab-key). If your car gets flipped and ends up in the middle of the track, leave it there (That is why there is safety car...). It will be removed (/spec) by marshals when the time is right. This is because of realism (Cars don't just disappear in real life!). If you violate this rule, you can't participate any longer to my S2 Voucher Competitions in the future.
    • You are not allowed to rejoin race after spectating.
    • You are not allowed to vote for restart (shift+r). If the situation requires a safety car, it will be deployed.
    • Don't cross the pit line when returning to track from the pit-lane, either you will get Stop & Go -penalty by doing it. You are not allowed to cross the section where there are cones (Both from the exit and enterance). Also, if you go to the pits, change your racing line early so drivers near you knows you are pitting. When returning back to track, others have right of way (If you cause danger, you will get Drive Through -penalty).
    • You are not allowed to talk/chat to others than marshals (Adminstrators). Do not start the convercation if not absolutely necessary. This is because while typing a message, you can't concentrate what is happening on the track and distract others. Also, everybody know you are sorry if you accidentally make contact with other car, so no need to say sorry. You can say how sorry you are after the race. If you think that someone deserves penalty, and marshals don't give it, take the time up. We can check it afterwards and give time-penalty.
    • Do not cut. Keep on the tarmac. If you cut through the chicane obstacles, you will be disqualified. Other cuttings won't make your lap-times better, so you won't get penalty by doing it. However, you can't win by doing off-road adventures (In other words, "Treasure hunting".
    • Contacts and crashings: He who has yellow flag is guilty for contacts / crashings (Unless the other driver drives too fast or recklessly. See rules for "yellow flag"). If you spin, stop your car and enter the track only if there are no incoming cars. If contact / crash occurs when there are no yellow flag, marshals decides who caused it, and thus gives the penalty to him (Drive Through for minor contacts, Stop & Go for crashings).
    • Blue flag means that someone is one or more laps ahead of you. You must let him past you without competing with him or hindering his progress. It is debatable whether or not to leave the racing line, that is your choice. The most important thing is to be predictable (Don't make any sudden maneuvers: Don't suddenly dive out of the racing line when the faster car is right behind you and already committed to pass, don't suddenly dive out of your line on the straight and jam on the brakes. If you're going to leave the racing line, do so smoothly, and so that the car behind can see what you're doing). If you don't let him pass you within a lap (And he is faster than you), you will get a Drive Through - penalty. If you are faster than him, you don't have to let him pass. Marshals decides when someone is faster and when not (You make the decicion, but if it is wrong, you will get the penalty). Faster means that the gap between you and him increases, while slower means that the gap decreases or stays the same.
    • Yellow flag (Local) means "hazard". You should slow down, no matter what (You can't be sure what is causing the flag. Maybe it is a massive pile-up after the next corner). How much you slow down is up to you. Good speed would be that you make 10 seconds per lap slower times than normally, but it purely depends on the occasion.
      • If marshall thinks you drive too fast for current situation, he can give you a Drive Through -penalty. For serious violations, marshal can give you a Stop & Go -penalty.
      • Overtaking is strictly forbidden when you have a yellow flag (Local or global), and is punishable by 30 second penalty. You are allowed to overtake cars that are causing the yellow flags, or if you must overtake someone so you can avoid crashing (But on this situation, you must let him pass you to his former position).
      • If you are causing a yellow flag (For example, by spinning), return to track so you don't cause a collision. If you cause a collision, you will get penalty (Either Drive Through or Stop & Go, depends on the situation).
    • Yellow flag (Global) means same as yellow local flag, except that it affects everywhere on the track and safety car is deployed. You must drive around the track using safe speed until you are behind of a safety car. You must overtake the safety car if you are not the leading driver (Not in the 1st position. If the leading driver overtakes safety car, he will be disqualified. If someone else don't overtake safety car, he will get Drive Through -penalty). Race continues after the green flag.
    • Green flag neutralizes global yellow flag (But not local flags. If you have a yellow or blue flag while also getting a green flag, you must act accordingly).
  5. Insim-instructions
    • Global flags and pit lane condition are shown on bottom of your screen. Ignore the pit lane condition (Reads "Open"), because it will not be used on this competition.
Hints:
  1. Make your car (Suspension, tyres and clutch) last as long as it takes. Check them regularily (By using F9, F10 and F12 -keys).
  2. You must pit at least once. It is up to you if you decide to do even more pit-stops. Make sure you have enough fuel for your strategy (But not too much, as it will add weight to your car. It is generally a good idea to put 1-2% additional fuel, so you can delay the pit-stop by one or two laps if necessary).
  3. If you are going to make additional pit-stop and you haven't prepared for it (For example if you spinned or someone crashed you so your suspensions got damaged), calculate the "fuel to add in pit stop" and decide if you are going to change tyres as well.
  4. Long races are not hotlappings. You can't win the race on the first turn (Or any other single turn). Play safe and you will have chance of winning.
  5. Don't stress, keep your head cool. If someone overtakes you, you can always take that position back to yourself. Keep your mind on the track.
  6. If safety car is deployesd, concider to do a pit-stop, if you don't risk of losing positions by doing it. You will safe lots of time, because you won't have to pit while the race is on.
  7. Because the wind is randomized when the race starts, the possibility that you have "the right" setup is minimal. However, remember that you can change tyre types, cambers, pressures and wing angles when you do a pit stop. This requires some knowledge to be used right, however.
  8. The internet is full of useful information. This link was posted to the thread (Thanks, Booschie): http://www.lfs-lota.net/LOTA_Media/public/tutorials/
Competitors:
  • Point-chart (Gray nicks must better their points if they would like to join the race. However, if someone who has been qualified for the race can't participate for any reason, I will contact next on the list. So, you should be reachable on race-day):
    1. 1:13.20 - Superobo
    2. 1:13.26 - wOoOzZy
    3. 1:13.32 - Zany
    4. 1:13.38 - mazdaratie
    5. 1:13.40 - Booschie
    6. 1:13.81 - GjeNgiX
    7. 1:13.91 - Miro -fin-
    8. 1:13.91 - sidewinder1009
    9. 1:13.96 - JackCY
    10. 1:14.01 - Boxerrumble
    11. 1:14.42 - reLLIKs
    12. 1:14.54 - Zebii
    13. 1:14.57 - amen1
    14. 1:14.85 - xt
    15. 1:14.87 - DRF73K
    16. 1:14.94 - rhys_02
    17. 1:14.96 - PeTriT
    18. 1:15.12 - 077louis
    19. 1:15.25 - Myffe
    20. 1:15.32 - torsen
    21. 1:16.53 - baansku
    22. 1:16.87 - RabbitJ
    23. 1:17.11 - BigTido
    24. DNF - Ashley_Williams
    25. DNF - Austbong
    26. DNF - Azgdtri615
    27. DNF - BAMBO
    28. DNF - BaronRojo
    29. DNF - dieselfuelonly
    30. DNF - dinaars
    31. DNF - dmav
    32. DNF - eowl
    33. DNF - FAburner
    34. DNF - falcon71
    35. DNF - l33t-krew
    36. DNF - macios
    37. DNF - Mo1
    38. DNF - Neblaivas
    39. DNF - only.one.RydeR
    40. DNF - thebullet
    41. DNF - TugaPT
    42. DSQ - slen (Bought a license)
    43. DSQ- khoianh94 (Bought a license)
    44. DSQ - BOSCHO (Bought a license)

Judges and marshals:
  • Organizer:
    • Gekkibi
  • Safety car driver:
    • dekojester
  • Marshals:
    • LFSn00b
    • Kristjan.J
  • Backups:
    • pearcy_2k7
I am looking for experienced (And licensed) racers to help me on a race-day. Your job would be to spectate racers and give penalties, if necessary. Minimum requirement for this is that you have Teamspeak and can speak english (You don't have to speak it flawlessly). If you would like to become a marshal, send me a private message. I can't promise you fame and glory, but you will be helping "in a good cause".

Miscellaneous:
  • Safety car skin (Made by pacesetter). Put it into your /data/skins folder.
  • Teaser-pictures

You can freely discuss about this competition in here.

EDIT: Modified the rules dramatically. Removed red flag (Got mixed with yellow flag) and disabled pit-condition (It will be open always).
Attached images
XRG_sc5.jpg
sponsor_wakipyora_1.jpg
sponsor_wakipyora_3.jpg
sponsor_nemesis_1.jpg
sponsor_nemesis_2.jpg
sponsor_pirkkasoft.jpg
sponsor_ttyy_1.jpg
sponsor_ttyy_2.jpg
sponsor_tamko_1.jpg
sponsor_tamk_7.jpg
sponsor_ctra_1.jpg
sponsor_kork.jpg
i would like to take part in this, painting my skin now, should have everything done for next week, so get ready for an email from me next week
-
(mcgas001) DELETED by mcgas001
Seems an nice thing, good racers together on demo with FBM, good luck with it Gekkibi, and let the best win! Good luck whoever is going to race there, S2 will welcome an nice new racer then.
would there have to be a certain qualifying time? as my laps seem to stick around 1:16 and i cant get faster than that
Quote from rhys_02 :would there have to be a certain qualifying time? as my laps seem to stick around 1:16 and i cant get faster than that

After the competitors have been selected, yes. But that qualifying only affects the starting order. So it doesn't prevent you for trying. After all, this is a long race, and you wont win it by doing best lap times. It is about keeping your car together (So your tyres lasts long, you optimize pit stops and amount of fuel. Should you do it with one or two pit-stops makes alot more than fraction of a second in lap time).
so its true that giving out S2 voucher is becoming a trend now aye?

to whoever is participating in the race.. best of luck. you dont often get a chance like this.
i think im going to race if i can. gotta go skinning
Hi Gekkibi,

I think I'd be interested in giving this a shot. I'm not all that quick, to be honest, but I really like the idea of a long race with (hopefully) serious racers. Thanks for setting this up!
Very kind of you gekkibi

I want to see the whole replay when this is finish =)

And best luck for all demo racers

Suggest : I whould be cool a Sub-forum Named , Events for s2 Vouchers or something like that

Regards

Inouva
Boo-hoo
*Sniff* I wish there was a competition like this when I was a demo racer! :weeping:

:bananallaGood luck everyone! And good idea Gekkibi!
I expect Highlights video of race :P
I plan to make/beg someone to make a video using replay-files. One reason for that "surname on skin" is to have interesting details in video.

And one thing I didn't mentioned before: There is going to be safety car on standby...
Quote from Gekkibi :I plan to make/beg someone to make a video using replay-files. One reason for that "surname on skin" is to have interesting details in video.

And one thing I didn't mentioned before: There is going to be safety car on standby...

Good idea about the safety car, maybe even a pace car for the first lap? But how would you get it to run if all 12 slots would be filled by race drivers?
Quote from Speedy Pro :Good idea about the safety car, maybe even a pace car for the first lap? But how would you get it to run if all 12 slots would be filled by race drivers?

IIRC, demo servers allows 15 simultaneous racers. Safety car would be one racer.

I tought about pace car and warm-up lap, but then decided not to include it, because others have said that it won't work that well (Overtaking, crashing).
well if i reckon you should have the pace car and warm-up lap thing as these guys should be fairly good racers therefore shouldnt crash on the warm-up lap
Really what is the point in doing a warm up lap for this? It will just add alot of faffing about to get everyone back on the grid... unless you do a rolling start.
Quote from fragile_dog :Really what is the point in doing a warm up lap for this? It will just add alot of faffing about to get everyone back on the grid... unless you do a rolling start.

Yep, that's my point. It would require "micromanagement" to get drivers back to starting grids (Thinking of putting "forced cockpit-view", so you can't use "helicopter-view"). And imho rolling start is not so challenging as normal start. It is possible to overtake someone if you make a good start and the other doesn't. It is not that on rolling starts. Imho not worth it.

Edit: Whoops. I just checked and it is only 12 slots on demo-servers, so it would mean that there can be only 11 racers.

This next question is mainly to racers who already have a license: What is your opinion, should it be BL1 or BL1r? Can't see many reversed servers, and thus it would make things more interesting, as drivers must make new setups and learn the new track-configuration. Should I change it to reversed?
Gekkibi - I think that the reverse layout has been disabled in demo since patch Y. But I agree that BL1R would be a lot more interesting to drive on. I like the forced cockpit view idea too.
Quote from Speedy Pro :Gekkibi - I think that the reverse layout has been disabled in demo since patch Y. But I agree that BL1R would be a lot more interesting to drive on. I like the forced cockpit view idea too.

IIRC, it is possible to drive it reversed also. Then again, I have played earlier patches also, so can't be sure if it has been disabled in patch Y. Could you be so kind to check it for me?
#20 - SamH
BL1R is *not* available to demo racers in Patch Y, just so you know
Quote from SamH :BL1R is *not* available to demo racers in Patch Y, just so you know

Pity. I started to like the idea of reversed track. This also explains why I have never raced on BL1r track when I was a demo-user.
it was around when the XRT was still there.
Quote from Zachary Zoomy :it was around when the XRT was still there.

Yep, I can remember driving it offline. However, I never played online until patch Y came out.
Quote from SamH :BL1R is *not* available to demo racers in Patch Y, just so you know

lol, i have never noticed
my cousin want to drive what did he must do to race for licence

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG