The online racing simulator
Spin-direction of water
(51 posts, started )

Poll : Direction

Clockwise
Counter-clockwise
Spin-direction of water
When you unplug the plug in kitchen sink, does the water spin clockwise or counter-clockwise when it goes to the drain?

Interesting, isn't it?
(My water spins counter-clockwise)
lol, so this pole is to find out who lives in the Northern Hemisphere and who lives in the Southern, and those of us who never have a bath
Quote from Mazz4200 :lol, so this pole is to find out who lives in the Northern Hemisphere and who lives in the Southern

omg plz lol spoiler!!111

Well, I tought it was a funny question...
Quote from Gekkibi :Interesting, isn't it?

That's arguable

PS: As far as I know it doesn't have anything to do with the Coriolis effect as the force it exerts is far too low on such a small scale.
Quote from Gekkibi :omg plz lol spoiler!!111

Well, I tought it was a funny question...

Sorry i'll delete it if you want
Quote from Mazz4200 :Sorry i'll delete it if you want

Nach. I think this whole thread turned out to be one big fail.
Quote from Gekkibi :Nach. I think this whole thread turned out to be one big fail.

lol, don't worry mate, we've all done it
Quote from AndroidXP :
PS: As far as I know it doesn't have anything to do with the Coriolis effect as the force it exerts is far too low on such a small scale.

That would be correct.

Quote :
In reality the Coriolis effect is a few orders of magnitude smaller than various random influences on drain direction, such as the geometry of the container and the direction in which water was initially added to it. Most toilets flush in only one direction, because the toilet water flows into the bowl at an angle.If water shot into the basin from the opposite direction, the water would spin in the opposite direction.

Not a very good thread lol, but i have never thought about it before, which is unlike me, normally prone to having random thoughts
...What if I would live in equator? Would it just "suck" without any kind of whirl?
Quote from Gekkibi :...What if I would live in equator? Would it just "suck" without any kind of whirl?

yes!
:doh:
Quote from Gekkibi :...What if I would live in equator? Would it just "suck" without any kind of whirl?

That's a paradox.

Or what if you are in a train going over the equator and you flushed the toilet just before you crossed the equator. Would the water start to rotate to other direction? Would the toilet start rotating to counter the rotation of the water? Or would the water turn into antimatter twist the whole train into singularity creating warmhole into other universe with one-eyed toilet monster mutants and toilets without any twirls! At all!?

The answer is quite simple. The toilets in trains do not have enough water to cause it twirl. That's why it is a paradox. :doh:
But Gekkibi isn't flushing in a train! He's on his toilet that is exactly on the equator, one half on each hemisphere...
Quote from Gil07 :But Gekkibi isn't flushing in a train! He's on his toilet that is exactly on the equator, one half on each hemisphere...

Then it is two whirls at the each sides of the toilet. In the middle the water acts like plasma and rotates to both directions at the same time.
Quote from Hyperactive :Then it is two whirls at the each sides of the toilet. In the middle the water acts like plasma and rotates to both directions at the same time.

At which time the toilet turns into a worm hole and transports you (with your pants down) to the front of your calss room in another time and dimension
Quote from Glenn67 :At which time the toilet turns into a worm hole and transports you (with your pants down) to the front of your calss room in another time and dimension

Nah, not really. But if you keep looking the twirl for too long it will give you a headache. It is also advisable to keep a respecful distance to the twirl, for obvious reasons.

This is science, not some random mental day-dreaming
Actually, at the equator, the whole issue is so confusing to the water, that it refuses to drain at all. The result, of course, is massive flooding at the equator. Originally, all toilets were located at the equator, but they recognized how annoying all the flooding was and, since not being able to agree about which way the water should go down the drain, they simply moved away from the equator and went their separate ways. Thus became our modern world, with toilets in both northern and southern hemispheres.
Quote from David33 :Originally, all toilets were located at the equator, but they recognized how annoying all the flooding was

thats a surprsingly good explanation for the whole noah thing
Sorry guys but the Simpsons have done this already !!!!

Who Knew?

by Louis-Benoit Desroches
(view PDF)
Do you remember that episode of “The Simpsons”—the one where Bart calls collect to Australia to determine if the toilet drains clockwise or counterclockwise? Lisa explains that water drains in the opposite direction in the southern hemisphere because of the Coriolis force. Later, the Simpsons discover a toilet in the US Embassy, which drains in the “American” way thanks to hardworking technology. It is a funny episode and one of my personal favorites. Unfortunately, it makes no scientific sense.

The Simpsons, great icons of popular culture, are propagating a terrible misconception about the role of the Coriolis force that is so prevalent, we all seem to share it. If you’ve ever stared at your toilet while repeatedly flushing it (not that exciting, I must warn you), you probably noticed that it only drains in one direction, reinforcing the notion. The Coriolis force is not the culprit, however.

The Coriolis force is a pseudoforce, much like a centrifugal force, resulting from a rotating coordinate system (i.e. the Earth as it spins). Inez Fung, professor in the Department of Earth and Planetary Science and director of the Berkeley Atmospheric Sciences Center, explains that as the Earth rotates, a person standing at the equator moves in a larger circle than someone at higher latitudes, and thus moves faster. A pocket of air moving northward from the equator would therefore “gain” on the Earth below, resulting in an arced path that drifts eastward. Similarly, a pocket of air moving southward from the Arctic would “trail” the Earth below. This east-west pseudoforce is what we call the Coriolis force. It is responsible for many atmospheric effects including the spiral patterns of hurricanes, as surrounding air is funneled into a central low-pressure zone. “What is relevant,” says Fung, “is the time and distance traveled.” Storm systems develop over several days and travel hundreds of kilometers. Your toilet draining lasts ten seconds and is (hopefully) confined to a foot-wide bowl. Fung points out that a sky diver doesn’t need to account for the rotation of the Earth below because the Coriolis force is simply too weak on such quick, small-scale events.

So why does your toilet always drain in the same direction? There are other factors that far outweigh the Coriolis force: the symmetry of the bowl’s shape, the direction that the water jet flows when you flush, and the location of the drain. Any of these mundane details can determine which way the water drains. Despite what you’ve heard on “The Simpsons”, you won’t need to travel to Australia to find an oppositely draining toilet. A quick peek in your neighbor’s bathroom might be enough (though you should probably ask first).
I've trained the water in my house to turn at direction I command
Now I'm trying to do the same with milk so I will be free from disolving the sugar of my coffees by hand

Spin-direction of water
(51 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG