The online racing simulator
Advice for Upgrading
(4 posts, started )
Advice for Upgrading
Hi, just wanted some advice on how to optimize my Graphics and FPS in LFS. My budget is around $400-$500, and my setup is...

Computer: Dell Dimensions 9100 (stock)
Specs:
Intel Pentium D 820 (2.8GHz) Dual Core Processor
512MB PC2-4200 DDR Memory
160GB 7,200rpm SATA Hard Drive
Intel HDA Audio
ATI Radeon X300SE Graphics with 128MB Memory

TV: Sharp Aquos 26" LCD (only goes up to 1080i) hooked up to comp via the PC input

Was wondering if LFS has capability to achieve graphics comparable to Hi-Def quality?

Thank you for your knowledge and input.
Quote from Red_Line- :Was wondering if LFS has capability to achieve graphics comparable to Hi-Def quality?

Well, kind of. If you run high-resolution skins and texture packs, it won't at all look bad, and you can more than run it at those resolutions without much issue with even a half-decent graphics card.

Your computer does have a PCI-E x16 graphics card slot, so you could spring for an 8800GT, which would be around $200-$250 bucks. However, what you really need is a faster processor and faster memory (and more of it.) TBH, I'd look into a new computer, or new parts - expecially considering that this is driving a high-def display, you want to be able to game in high-def, or at least watch HD movies (which can be very processor intensive.)

However, if you just get an 8800GT and maybe a 2Gb DDR2-800 memory pack, you should be able to run LFS at high-resolutions without issue, and you can always carry that stuff over into a new system later on.
1 GB of RAM is sufficient for LFS in HD, the 8800 GT is a good choice.

Btw. your CPU can be overclocked to at least 3.8 Ghz, depending on the cooling and quality of the processor, but it´s worth a try.

If you wanna upgrade your CPU get a CoreDuo 6750 and a new mainboard/RAM.
Check your power supply though, may not be strong enough for higher end card.

Advice for Upgrading
(4 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG