The online racing simulator
#1 - J@tko
Details of Qualifying, Race and Practice Races, and questions
Practice Races:
These will be held as often as possible during May and June. These sessions are an opportunity for you to reach your 300 laps/lap time/the admins to see how well you drive. We hope to hold one every evening if at all possible. It will consist of a 10-15 min quali session, then a 30 or so lap race. The aim is to have a bit of fun whilst preparing for the race proper. More details will come nearer the time.

Qualifying:
Qualifying will be held in 2 sessions, on the 21st and 22nd June. They will start at 19:00 UTC. You may be at the sessions as much or as little as you like.

You will come into the server whenever you like during this window. If no one is ready or willing to take a run, the track is free for practicing. Once someone indicates ready, the track will close, and shortly after the track is closed, the qualifying run will be started. A run consists of two warmup laps and 4 flying timed laps. The warming of tyres via any method other than driving your race line around the track (e.g. no 360s, no wall riding, no intentional sliding) is prohibited. The average of your run is your qualifying time. You have three attempts throughout the weekend to set a time. An attempt is only counted against you when you complete the run. If you wave off before you finish, it will not be counted against you. You may reattempt for as long as you have attempts remaining. Please note, each sucessive attempt completed negates the previous attempts, and regardless of better or worse, your most recent attempt is what's taken in the results table.

If, for any reason, you are unable to attend the official qualifying sessions, please send dekojester a PM BEFORE the start of the second qualifying session detailing why you are unable to attend. I will determine when, if necessary, a private session is able to be done.

Race
The race will start at around 6pm BST (TBC). Please be on the Game Server AND Ventrilo Server at least 15 minutes before the start time. If you are in one and not the other, you will still be considered absent. You MUST be in both to be considered present. The race is 270 laps long. The Start Procedure is detailed in the rules, and is similar to that of the Indianapolis 500. Please be familiar with these. The use of R4 tyres is strictly prohibited, and use will result in a black flag to change to R3s or less. The insim running will tell you the state of the course (green/SC/red) and whether pit lane is open.

If you have any questions - post them below
May I ask why we cant use R4 tires?

Kenneth
Quote from racer hero :May I ask why we cant use R4 tires?

Kenneth

For two three reasons:
  1. To make it more 'interesting'
  2. Because we said so
  3. Because what we say is the best thing ever
Haha well im using R3s i guess.
#5 - J@tko
Quote from racer hero :May I ask why we cant use R4 tires?

Kenneth

I think I'm right in saying (pretty sure - I did some testing ages ago) that R4s will last longer than fuel will, whereas R3s will last a little bit less than fuel. So it gives drivers the option of saving tyres and going full on fuel, or having less fuel, not saving tyres and having an extra pit stop.
-
(J@tko) DELETED by dekojester
#6 - Mazar
500 Layout
Quote : If you have any questions - post them below

The cones in the layout for the 500 on entry to and exit from pitlane, could be a issue with a lot of cars on the track.

Running this layout I have noticed a couple of times accidents due to these being knocked into, or hit by a racer.

There is also a wall option for those areas of the track that I have seen.

Just a thought guys, not saying its not correct as for sure it is realistic, but then so could be the wall especially in such a *virtual* big race.

Having raced with both, i personally think the wall works very well, containing those exiting from pit lane or entering.

Having noticed it, thought i would raise it.

Just a observation after being taken out by a sign..

Best, Maz
maybe have the pacecar travel in the middle lane so lag doesn't scatter the cones?
#8 - J@tko
Having just seen a better value for length of the Kyoto Oval, the race length has now changed.

The race will be 270 laps long. As soon as the race starts, RC will set race distance to be 271 laps, and the first lap (and only 1 lap) will be under SC.
This will give a distance of 500.04 miles

EDIT: We're not sure if this is actually possible - we will review it later tonight and give you the final decision soon
#9 - Mazar
When is the next qualifying or practice sessions?

Best Maz
Is bump drafting allowed?

What happens when you crash, do your laps reset
Quote from major_syphillis :Is bump drafting allowed?

What happens when you crash, do your laps reset

When you crash, you are recorded as DNF having completed the number of laps you have completed.

As per the regulations, bump drafting is forbidden.
Quote from dekojester :When you crash, you are recorded as DNF having completed the number of laps you have completed.

As per the regulations, bump drafting is forbidden.

Cool, I signed up. First race ever
Quote from dekojester :When you crash, you are recorded as DNF having completed the number of laps you have completed.

Nuh uh. If you crash and you can drive to the pits for repairs then you may. If you are in a position where you really can't move then you're recorded as DNF. (I think and am pretty sure and hope its like that :P)

And btw, deko. Is it possible to post the list in the forums for people who have met requirements and all. I don't have Acrobat Reader and really don't feel like getting it as I'm getting a bit too much junk on my computer :S.
Quote from evilpimp :Nuh uh. If you crash and you can drive to the pits for repairs then you may. If you are in a position where you really can't move then you're recorded as DNF. (I think and am pretty sure and hope its like that :P)

And btw, deko. Is it possible to post the list in the forums for people who have met requirements and all. I don't have Acrobat Reader and really don't feel like getting it as I'm getting a bit too much junk on my computer :S.

Try Foxit, it's not made of pure bloat :P
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader_2/down_reader.htm
what do you mean by central? Central European? Central American?
??? (start time of the event)
Quote from TFalke55 :what do you mean by central? Central European? Central American?
??? (start time of the event)

When I say Central I mean American Central (Britain -6 IIRC), when I mean CET, I'll say CET

Sorry for the mix up - the race starts at 7pm CET
can we use addons like pit spotter during the races?
I suppose so, as the rules state, there are only two "addons" that you cannot use, which are the speedhacks (obviously) and player hacker.

Being a total n00b, I am clueless as to WTF pitspotter does

EDIT FROM J@tko: Yes, pit-spotter is allowed.
Quote from JO53PHS :
Being a total n00b, I am clueless as to WTF pitspotter does

A spotter is a useful tool that takes control over your car if you happen to be disconnected: You are connected via a relay server, and it's impossible to tell if it's you who's driving or ai.

EDIT FROM J@tko (again): The above is not true.
EDIT2: Really?
Edit from Joseph: Eh?
EDIT3: It's called sarcasm
EDIT4: Jack really, really FAILs at Sarcasm. How am I supposed to know what Pitspotter ACTUALLY does??? Sarcasm is innappropriate in this situation.
EDIT5: :google: , the first darn link gives it away
EDIT6: I cba to :google: it.
EDIT7 (J@tko) I knew it wasn't sarcasm, but I knew that joe wouldnt know that
EDIT8: (hyntty): wat?
lol does pit spotter even work for patch Y ? I've tried and it didnt work. Help anyone?

Btw, pit spotter simply tells you if theres someone on ur right, left or if its clear. Its a voice that is simply a spotter and tells you wats around you to make sure you dont ram into people.

Details of Qualifying, Race and Practice Races, and questions
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG