The online racing simulator
Graphics card for LFS/GTL?
(11 posts, started )
With the current generation of games passing me by, I've decided it's time to give my computer a little treat. I'm not interested in running anything on full with 60fps, but it'd be nice to be able to play LFS at a higher setting, and I'd also like to be able to run GTL.

I'm currently running a 2.2GHz P4 with 256mb of RAM and a GeForce 4 MX440. Other than buying more RAM, I'm looking at getting a new GPU.

I'm restricted to AGP because of the mobo in this beast, and I'm also restricted financially.

I've come up with the following options, but some of them don't appear in any tests I've looked at, are there any favourites in the group below?

X700 Pro 256Mb
6600GT 128Mb
X800GT 256Mb
6800 128Mb

I like the look of the X700 and 6600GT because they're cheaper than the other two, the X800 would really be pushing it. I'd much rather spend money on my REAL car than on fake ones, if you get what I mean.
The vanilla 6800 isn't worth it. Performance is just about identical to the 6600GT.

I'd go for the 6600GT.
I´d go for the X800.
I replaced my Nvidea 5600XT for a GigaByte 6600GT and the fps boost was huge...(AMERICA`S ARMY from 26fps to 70/80fps)
If i had the money... X800!!!!
Can't remember exactly but arn't there some problems with the All in Wonders? Overheating or driver troubles or something. I might be wrong though, it happens occasionally.

Got a 6600GT myself runs boths LFS and GTL nicely.
The X700 works fine for me right now. There are bugs in the current ATI drivers though. Use the ones from earlier this year, not the ones released in December, 2005.

I get 70+ frames per second most of the time with all the bells and wistles turned on in LFS. I have the verticle sync turned on. The X800 would probably be better, but the last time I checked, it was double the cost of an X700.
the X700 is a very nice card for the money and should run LFS and other games just fine . as for drivers if you use catylist 5.11 drivers you should get better FPS than the current 5.13 drivers ATI are getting better at releasing frequent drivers and hopefully release a fixed (for lfs) driver sometime 2006 .

SD.
6600GT

LFS looks simply amazing, you won't be disappointed at all.
i just got a 6600GT yesterday and wuuhh huhh... its great

..gone from minimum graphic settings in lfs to MAXIMUM settings

- only problem is the fan... ..it soo damn noisy.
(maybe its just me.. .. im used to a totally silence pc)

-isnt there some software gizmo to lower the fan speed to minimum requied ?
- couldnt find anything in the driver settings about it.
Quote from bo-kristiansen :i just got a 6600GT yesterday and wuuhh huhh... its great

..gone from minimum graphic settings in lfs to MAXIMUM settings

- only problem is the fan... ..it soo damn noisy.
(maybe its just me.. .. im used to a totally silence pc)

-isnt there some software gizmo to lower the fan speed to minimum requied ?
- couldnt find anything in the driver settings about it.

Sry to deviate off topic for a sec, but no the 6600GT fans are noisy. Nothing you can do about it unless you have the pci-e version then you can buy an Arctic Silencer for it. They don't make one for the AGP version though.
Quote from pb32000 :Sry to deviate off topic for a sec, but no the 6600GT fans are noisy. Nothing you can do about it unless you have the pci-e version then you can buy an Arctic Silencer for it. They don't make one for the AGP version though.

Yes there is a fan for the AGP version,i have a Zalman Vf-700 Cu Led and it works like a dream!!!
My Gigabyte 6600GT went from 500mhz(core)/1000mhz(memory) to 615/1200.
lol funny, I don't even notice it's volume. Since I have an additional VGA cooler in the PCI slots behind it, 2 more 80 MM fans, the processor fan, and then the poewr supply fan. lol. Too bad I just had to RMA my 6600 cuz the card was giving me oodles of artifacts. Now I don't wanna play any games because they look like crap.

Seriously man the 6600 GT will not disappoint you

(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG