The online racing simulator
Round 2: Pit Exit Info
Hello racers!

As you may have read in the rules thread, there is a new rule regarding exiting the pits under the SC periods. In order to avoid confusion as to where cars should blend when exiting, we have made the following change:

The pit exit closes when the SC passes it, and re-opens when the last on-track car passes it. Drivers exiting the pits while the pits are closed will receive a DT penalty.

Originally, we were planning to administer the closing/opening of the pits and the penalizing of offenders on our own. However, we found out that Burnsy had recently developed an insim app to help oval race admins handle caution periods and realized that it could very easily be adapted to handle IGTC SC periods.

The app allows admins to control the green/yellow status of the track, as well as whether the pits are open or closed via insim buttons. The track and pit status will be always visible in the lower left corner of the drivers' screens, which should erase any confusion.

For this round, we will run the insim app alongside Starblue's tracker app. We have tested them together and determined that they do not interfere with one another. For subsequent rounds, Starblue plans to build the functionality into his own program, along with automated penalties for pit exit line crossing and so on.

Here's a quick preview:

Admin view

Player view

The only concern at the moment is that the track/pit status buttons currently overlap the left side tire/suspension info. I'm talking to Burnsy about moving the buttons up above this info.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.
Now that is cool!

Hope someone doesn't run up my ass while sitting at the pit exit line waiting. Could push me over and get me a penalty huh?
Quote from DeadWolfBones :The only concern at the moment is that the track/pit status buttons currently overlap the left side tire/suspension info. I'm talking to Burnsy about moving the buttons up above this info.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Yes, top of the screen in the middle would be best imo.
very interesting... hopefully this works smoothly.

Looks good, yes, please fix it so it doesn't interefere with F9/F10...
Quote from Droemel :Yes, top of the screen in the middle would be best imo.

Yeah, I'm thinking middle top or middle bottom would be best.

Middle bottom is fine as long as you're using the in-car view, but I don't know how many in IGTC use custom view.
Question if your in the pits before yellow was shown what exactly happens does the DT still come into play?
Quote from AstroBoy :Question if your in the pits before yellow was shown what exactly happens does the DT still come into play?

If you're in the pits when the yellow is shown, you'll have at least the length of the SC's outlap before the pit exit is closed. The SC has to exit the pits, collect the field, and then pass the pit exit again in order for it to be closed.

If for some reason you're still in the pits by the time that happens, you'll have to wait for the exit to re-open before leaving.
Alrighty i reckon that solves that mystery.
After talking with Burnsy a bit, this is the best compromise we've come up with. Lower middle positioning doesn't interfere with anything in normal cockpit view (the tire temps/suspension damage are totally clear) and in custom views it only obscures the turbo boost gauge and shades the gear indicator (which is still visible).

We also considered top middle, but that would have obscured the virtual mirror. Just above the tire/suspension info on the left would have gone into the left mirror area.

See below.

Cockpit view

Custom view
Guys, big problem with this spot... I use a narrow fov in-car and this will totally obscure my gagues...

I think it may be really unneccessary to have this display on at all times. It would be much more beneficial to only raise it under cautions.
Quote from srdsprinter :Guys, big problem with this spot... I use a narrow fov in-car and this will totally obscure my gagues...

I think it may be really unneccessary to have this display on at all times. It would be much more beneficial to only raise it under cautions.

could you please also post this to the official thread of it, to kinda kick start other people's ideas/comments? http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?t=40857
Posted. If we could get this on a server open for testing it'd be great.

I'd hate to get to Saturday's race and find I can't use my gauges. :eek:
Jesus, what kinda FOV do you use?

edit: Just tested with the various cars... for it to begin to obscure the gauges in that position, you need the following FOV settings:

FZR: 50
XRR: 65
FXR: 60
I'll verify for sure tonight. It might not block it, but i fear it may.

I run 1680x1050, where I can just see some wheel and most of my readouts at the bottom.

I'll check it out first thing and post back, my FOV is just based off my real world vision/concentration down-track.
Those numbers were in 1680x1050, btw.
Any reason why it needs coloured boxes and text ?

Could be a lot less intrusive it it were just boxes...Blue/Red for pitlane, Yellow/Green for track. Could even put a P and T in the smaller boxes in case people forget what they mean.
Quote from Bean0 :Any reason why it needs coloured boxes and text ?

Could be a lot less intrusive it it were just boxes...Blue/Red for pitlane, Yellow/Green for track. Could even put a P and T in the smaller boxes in case people forget what they mean.

This is true. I'll talk to Burnsy about doing a mockup.
Quote from Bean0 :Any reason why it needs coloured boxes and text ?

you should put that in the main thread for it too, maybe other people who have tried it think the same way.
Hmm... as far as i can tell the FG server isn't running the app.

My FOV for the FZR was 53, all others untouched.

Hopefully we're okay, i'd like to see it in action though
Attached images
NOTON.JPG
sorry, it's back on again if you want to test it out.
If this is how it is, than it's livable.

Unfortunately it resides on my gear indicator.

Not the worst position posible, but the size and color of it seem unneccesarily distracting to me.

Edit - A good compromise would be something roughly the size of the qualification box text. The size of it currently is almost clownish (biggest thing on the screen), especially for something that is only rarely going to be utilized.
Attached images
FZR.JPG
-
(DeadWolfBones) DELETED by DeadWolfBones
Ok, I worked on this for a couple of hours tonight with Burnsy and here's what we came up with...

The cleanest way to do it is something like this:

With the two buttons in a row along the bottom. It still somewhat obscures the gear shift indicator for Stu's FOV, but...

We've made it so that the two buttons ONLY appear when a SC period happens (when the admins change the track status to yellow). Neither button will be visible until this happens, so nothing will possibly be obscured until you've stopped racing for position.

Does this sound fair to everyone?
Looks fine to me, although to be honest they are still unnecessarily big. If you just had a couple of little red boxes appear in the far left of the screen (between the tyres and the edge), one with a "P" in it and the other with a "T" in it that would be fine I'm sure. But this way works as well because its not such a big deal under safety car.

Quick off topic question: Why would you use such a strange FOV?
Quote from Scott_Michaels :Quick off topic question: Why would you use such a strange FOV?

Also, and why do you need to concentrate on what gear you are in? You should now that if you have done a little practice around the combo
It looks very good now, should be good to get your attention when caution is out now

Quote from Scott_Michaels :
Quick off topic question: Why would you use such a strange FOV?

Strange to you. For me the wide FOV are bizzare & strange. When I drive, i concentrate down the road/track. I'm not looking at the underside of the steering column, I want to maximize my downfield vision. Left/Right buttons take care of the rest.

Quote from niall09 :Also, and why do you need to concentrate on what gear you are in? You should now that if you have done a little practice around the combo

It's not concentrating on what gear I'm in. I can visualize a lap and count all the shifts I'm going to do. Unfortunatly, pit stops and other "stuff" happens. So if I can see the indicator at all times it is adventageous.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG