The online racing simulator
Racing Sims-The most real
(18 posts, started )
I have this question...and i'd like someone who is a real drifter (from the real life..) to tell me which game touches reality more .....
I'm playing LFS demo ... and GTR 2 with bmw m3 challenge mod
Can't compare them..because the setups of the cars are different and the handling differs ...
I Find both of them real...just want an opinion which Sim is more real..
In real life i know only how to turn fast and play with a FWD (you know scandinavian flicks ..entering a turn sliding ..not drifting exactly )

LFS
GTR 2
rFactor
WTCC

With 10 for perfect what point do you give in each sim ?
Carefull,I'm talking only for handling and car's behaviour on the road
not graphics or how real the world/the car seems..

P.S sorry if i made any mistakes on the message i post.my mind stuck and i couldn't remember a lot of words in english :P
#2 - Jakg
For drifting the ISI engine (powering GTR/GTR2/rFactor/RACE etc) really isn't a good choice.
For drifting? Only LFS I beleive...The other engines are way not suitable for drifting
Try to search vids on YouTube ... like GTR2 drift. rFactor drift... And you'll see the difference
Isn't the idea behind the ISI stuff to be as realistic as possible? I know LFS is as well but you'd think that a realistic physics engine would be realistic for everything regardless of what the game is designed for.
i'm always talking for drifting... :P i have seen vides on youtube from all the games...they all seem good..the most crazy vids with drifts are from lfs..but i've seen a very good vid from gtr 2 also...
link to gtr 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3R3sxS2lKs
i want to make my bmw to run like this
Quote from FalconXB :Isn't the idea behind the ISI stuff to be as realistic as possible? I know LFS is as well but you'd think that a realistic physics engine would be realistic for everything regardless of what the game is designed for.

And therein lies the problem. ISI games are USELESS for drifting, without mods specifically borked for just that. This is almost certainly because the physics underlying the game are complete tosh. However, one or two car mods (but not many more than two) have put in borked data to try and counteract the programming done by the numbnuts at ISI. In some cases it nearly works.

It you want something that isn't quite right, but is getting closer, and gives ALL cars the same laws of physics, then LFS is for you.

If you want something that isn't quite right, isn't going to get any better, and relies on people without any clue of what makes cars go to come up with their own physics engine (pretty much) based on nothing whatsoever, then ISI is for you.
NFSU2?

(alse the best sim there is)

(pfft)

(hidden white text)
#8 - ajp71
Quote from Jakg :For drifting the ISI engine (powering GTR/GTR2/rFactor/RACE etc) really isn't a good choice.

This whole ISI not being able to 'drift' argument is nonsense. Yes most mods completely ignore the laws of physics and as a result control of the car whilst the tires are slipping becomes almost impossible but this is not a limitation of the engine. The better mods allow for controllable, sustainable slides (drifting) without any setup changes or special physics. It's important not to get confused between the engine (and its potential) and the end results that are usually crap due to the engine's main flaw of requiring lots of data that isn't well understood and normally is entered on guesswork.
I'm saying LFS. I've never played the other games, but the fact that you can take a car in the game thats meant to be raced, and change the setup of the car(without mods I might add) so you can engage, and maintain a drift, I believe LFS is the best choice.
Quote from bladegt :i'm always talking for drifting... :P i have seen vides on youtube from all the games...they all seem good..the most crazy vids with drifts are from lfs..but i've seen a very good vid from gtr 2 also...
link to gtr 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3R3sxS2lKs
i want to make my bmw to run like this

To be honest, I don't really call that 'drifting' ... That's just letting the back end step out / slide for a moment and straighten back up.

I constantly have arguments with my 'console fanboy' friends who claim Forza 2 and GT5 are the height of realism, and have to take them down a peg or two. End of the day GTR 2 etc, are made to be 'realistic' solely for the formula of cars that are driven in the game, as mentioned the physics can be tweaked, but mainly due to the way the game handles tyres grip levels etc, it just doesn't seem natural and fluid.

LFS is still the most 'realistic' in the sense of the forces / physics behind what is happening, ok it's not 100% real, but it's predictable compared to real life driving and good fun.
ok then how % you give that LFS matches the reality...
Quote from tristancliffe :And therein lies the problem. ISI games are USELESS for drifting, without mods specifically borked for just that. This is almost certainly because the physics underlying the game are complete tosh. However, one or two car mods (but not many more than two) have put in borked data to try and counteract the programming done by the numbnuts at ISI. In some cases it nearly works.

It you want something that isn't quite right, but is getting closer, and gives ALL cars the same laws of physics, then LFS is for you.

If you want something that isn't quite right, isn't going to get any better, and relies on people without any clue of what makes cars go to come up with their own physics engine (pretty much) based on nothing whatsoever, then ISI is for you.

Oh ok, yeah I always got the feeling that GTR and the other ISI games never felt all the realistic once I screwed up and lost grip. Are there any other racing sims you could recommend with physics similair to the level that LFS has?

Quote from PaulJ_85 :To be honest, I don't really call that 'drifting' ... That's just letting the back end step out / slide for a moment and straighten back up.

I constantly have arguments with my 'console fanboy' friends who claim Forza 2 and GT5 are the height of realism, and have to take them down a peg or two. End of the day GTR 2 etc, are made to be 'realistic' solely for the formula of cars that are driven in the game, as mentioned the physics can be tweaked, but mainly due to the way the game handles tyres grip levels etc, it just doesn't seem natural and fluid.

LFS is still the most 'realistic' in the sense of the forces / physics behind what is happening, ok it's not 100% real, but it's predictable compared to real life driving and good fun.

Yeah I used to remember thinking GT4 was the height of realism, cos thats what all the magazines said. Then I had a go at some demos of ISI games and changed my mind rather quickly. And now that I am playing LFS I am not going back to ISI for anything. I never have to argue with people about it though, when people hear me say racing sim vs racing game they sorta get the idea that GT4 is just a fun racing game.
Quote from FalconXB :Are there any other racing sims you could recommend with physics similair to the level that LFS has?

LFS and NetKar Pro are the only sims with physics worth talking about.

iRacing may well be good, but at those prices I'll leave it to someone far wealthier than myself to give us the verdict.
#14 - wien
Quote from The Moose :LFS and NetKar Pro are the only sims with physics worth talking about.

Richard Burns Rally too IMO. Pretty poor on tarmac, but on dirt it's at least in the ballpark.
Oh yeah, I've heard that if you are into Rally that is the one to get. Very realistic.
#16 - BURN
Quote from FalconXB :Oh yeah, I've heard that if you are into Rally that is the one to get. Very realistic.

yes, i played it on Ps2 and its great. i actually gotta get it now for pc.. only 5€ or something.
If you want a rating i`d say:

9.5/10 LFS

10/10 RBR IMO :P but its really hard to master it

6/10 GTR2 / Rfactor / wtcc (race07). i have rfactor but its not keeping me interested for long time. the mods keep it alive.
Quote from wien :Richard Burns Rally too IMO. Pretty poor on tarmac, but on dirt it's at least in the ballpark.

Absobloodylutely !

I didn't mention it because it's not a racing sim as such, but yes indeedy..it's the best rallying experience on the pc by a million miles. Top class
At gtr2,rf powersliding without spin-out is hard,if car start to slide it feel like tyres are overheated,in lfs you get more natural feel

(18 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG