The online racing simulator
Last names
(26 posts, started )
Last names
Hello... i wanted to know how countries vary with lastnames.
Example, here in Mexico your last name must be <Father last name><Mother last name>
so here we have two last names.
What about your country?
PD: wanna know about Canada
In Canada, the "norm" is taking on the last name of the family you are born into - and that last name is usually the father's. At marriage, most women take on their husband's sirname. Of course, that is just the 'norm' and is no rule; many woman choose to keep their family name.
In Scotland, your either MacLean or MacBeth.
Quote from chanoman315 :Example, here in Mexico your last name must be <Father last name><Mother last name>

How does that work with recursion?

I mean, would your last name not end up <fathers fathers last name><fathers mothers last name><mothers fathers last name><mothers mothers last name>, and so, very quickly?
Quote from Bob Smith :How does that work with recursion?

I mean, would your last name not end up <fathers fathers last name><fathers mothers last name><mothers fathers last name><mothers mothers last name>, and so, very quickly?

nope, i mean Martinez (My Father's first last name) De Silva ( My mother's first last name) and thats it, parents only use 1 last name- the first one.
Blas Aguilar Gaxiola... Oh.
#7 - (SaM)
Quote from chanoman315 :nope, i mean Martinez (My Father's first last name) De Silva ( My mother's first last name) and thats it, parents only use 1 last name- the first one.

Aaah! So that means I discovered that Enrique Iglesias was given birth by Julio without a mother!

"Daily News? Yeah hi.. listen, I found something amaaaazing...uhuh"
Quote from chanoman315 :Hello... i wanted to know how countries vary with lastnames.
Example, here in Mexico your last name must be <Father last name><Mother last name>

No wonder that "Edison Arantes do Nascimento" is better known as "Pele"...you would need a bloody wide shirt to stick all them letters on to!!! (YES> I _KNOW_ he is Brazilian, but its still the same sort of system!)

Personally I just love the Icelandic way...
Ingmar Gunnerson, Gunner Ingmarson, etc etc...bet it gets bloody confusing for the postman!!!!
Here on Balkan (Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Serbia)

We take our family name as last name.
My mother took fathers last name, but she could stay with her name or stay with hers and just add fathers last name, that way i would have two last names, but that's done only rarely, usually celebrities does it.

Most of our names finish on ić or ović

_____

And we don't have middle name, for that is usually used fathers name, manly for bills, so the postman knows who exactly is the person if there are two of same first and last name, witch happens here and there

We have church name, but not everyone are catholics or Christians, so father name there.
Just a last comment from me....
A lot of English surnames are based on the old professions, which is why names like Smith, Cooper, Miller, and Wright are so common...
If this trend were to continue into the future, would we see names like Skiver, Scrounger and Layabout become common in the UK?
We use the fathers last name mostly, but there are some exceptions.
Quote from MAGGOT :In Canada, the "norm" is taking on the last name of the family you are born into - and that last name is usually the father's. At marriage, most women take on their husband's sirname. Of course, that is just the 'norm' and is no rule; many woman choose to keep their family name.

It's the same here.
The usual here, but I think it is possible for the man to take over the woman's last name, altough it is not common.
The Chinese (at least) are unusual WRT western tradition, because they use their family name as a first name, rather than as a last name.
Quote from Bawbag :In Scotland, your either MacLean or MacBeth.

Macgyver too?

if so, then im gonna move to Scotland
bollocks why?
Because it has the work "Cock" in it, maybe?
In Germany its common that when people marry the fathers name is used.

Fathers Name: Miller
Mothers Name: Meyer

So it would be Miller.

Sometimes its Miller-Meyer too, its allowed but uncommon to use mothers name.
Quote from Bawbag :In Scotland, your either MacLean or MacBeth.

Not true! You should be using the traditional Scottish saying:

"We're all Jock Tamson's Bairns!" which roughly translated means "We're all the same".

Call yourself a Scotsman....pfft
A friend of mines name is Julia Martin, and her boyfriends name is Martin too, we joke about him taking her last name if they marry, becoming Martin Martin
#25 - th84
Around here we make them up as we go. Seeing as how my mother is also my aunt and my fathers second cousin.

Last names
(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG