The online racing simulator
Bumpdrafting
(137 posts, started )
Bumpdrafting
On the straightaway, I was drafting someone who was fighting for a position with two other cars. I come up behind him, and decide to initiate a bumpdraft. So, I tap him and we both get ahead of the two other cars. Then, the car behind me spins me! WTF, I don't think I was doing anything wrong?
I don't really like bumpdrafters, especially if someone decides to do this with me unasked, cause there just have to be a little lag and suddenly both cars go beserk.

And I've never seeing anyone doing this in real life.
#3 - M.Mos
Quote from ATHome :And I've never seeing anyone doing this in real life.

You don't saw it in RL, so what? It exists in RL , fact.
Quote from M.Mos :You don't saw it in RL, so what? It exists in RL , fact.

Does it ? If so, I stand corrected.

But that doesn't really mean it's nice if someone decides to to this in LFS with you and take you out due to lag
I have broadband, and I have NEVER lagged ever.

Here are some bumpdraft pics:

And, I was not doing anything dangerous. I actually let off the throttle for a split second avoid hitting him, so it was only a gentle shove forward.
Uhhh bumpdrafting is a very controversial issue with LFS. Ask three
different people their opinion on it and you'll get four different opinions.
#7 - Jakg
Quote from wheel4hummer :I have broadband, and I have NEVER lagged ever.

Here are some bumpdraft pics:

And, I was not doing anything dangerous. I actually let off the throttle for a split second avoid hitting him, so it was only a gentle shove forward.

i lag and im on bb! nascars are DESIGNED to draft and bumpdraft!

Quote from wheel4hummer :On the straightaway, I was drafting someone who was fighting for a position with two other cars. I come up behind him, and decide to initiate a bumpdraft. So, I tap him and we both get ahead of the two other cars. Then, the car behind me spins me! WTF, I don't think I was doing anything wrong?

how come your a demo racer?
#8 - M.Mos
Quote from ATHome :But that doesn't really mean it's nice if someone decides to to this in LFS with you and take you out due to lag

No i didn't say it's nice. Of course its not nice if someone put you out by bumpdrafting.

@w4h
you can't say that you don't lag just becouse you have broadband. Even if you don't see any lag on your side, other people racing with you might see your car lagging. And you don't have the "right" to bumpdraft someone, by definition Motorsport is a non-contact sport anyway If people are mad at you becouse you bumpdrafted them unasked then don't come here and wonder why Some people like it some hate it, for me it's okay.

Your pics doesn't realy show much and the 2nd pic looks like ingame !?
Here's a better example you just have to watch the whole clip .
Oh... after thinking it over... from you're statement. LOL I bet you LAG like hell LOL.
Most of the worst laggers out there aren't using dial up. They got Broad Band
and a big gig computer with the latest, greatest state of the art everything. One that's so big they can usually run multiple applications through the net simultanously... and they usually do.
how exactly did he spin you ? cause he might just have tried to join the party and you spun because one of you two was lagging when he bumped into you
#11 - Jakg
Quote from Shotglass :how exactly did he spin you ? cause he might just have tried to join the party and you spun because one of you two was lagging when he bumped into you

today i spun someone accidently, they were running semi-near the wall (this is on the Oval) i pulled in behind them, but i was getting a tiny draft from another car and my front spoiler touched his rear wheel, i spun, causing other cars to hit me, and other cars piled into the back of him as it slowed him down. All from a tiny draft!
Quote from Jakg :how come your a demo racer?

Because I havent payed $42 to get all of the other cars and tracks, illepall
I brake for bumpdrafters its a stupid thing to do on a online game where lag can happen. What happens if someone spins in front of the car in front while your ramming that car up the rear you'll never hit the brakes in time.

It isn't done in all motorsports if thats what you think to and in real life lag isn't an issue. In real life there is no physics engine to confuse.

Keiran
#14 - Jakg
Quote from keiran :I brake for bumpdrafters its a stupid thing to do on a online game where lag can happen. What happens if someone spins in front of the car in front while your ramming that car up the rear you'll never hit the brakes in time.

or if they touch your wheels, and spin you off

Quote from wheel4hummer :Because I havent payed $42 to get all of the other cars and tracks,

then what are you drafting on? bump drafting an XRT on Bl straight? look, its easily a good price to pay for the multi-player!
Quote from Jakg :then what are you drafting on? bump drafting an XRT on Bl straight? look, its easily a good price to pay for the multi-player!

No, I'm bumpdrafting an XFG on Blackwood!
Quote from Jakg :then what are you drafting on? bump drafting an XRT on Bl straight? look, its easily a good price to pay for the multi-player!

It is indeed a good price... But might I ask what is wrong with bumpdrafting the XRT or XFG on Blackwood? That's one of the tracks I ALWAYS bumpdraft on, because even with lag it's relatively safe to do on that long straight.
Especially in the slower cars the advantages are huge.
Quote from keiran :I brake for bumpdrafters its a stupid thing to do on a online game where lag can happen. What happens if someone spins in front of the car in front while your ramming that car up the rear you'll never hit the brakes in time.

There's one thing more stupid than bumpdrafting with lag... And that's hitting the brakes when you're being bumpdrafted... That goes right down on my list about 1 point higher than ramming someone off the track on purpose... And I will mark you as a wrecker if you ever do that to me. (not that that's something to be worried of, but you could simply tell me not to bump you, and I won't)

Quote :
It isn't done in all motorsports if thats what you think to and in real life lag isn't an issue. In real life there is no physics engine to confuse.

Keiran

Well, it happens a whole lot more than you, and a lot of others, wanna think. Last night on Motors TV there was the BMW World Cup season replay, and there were a couple of guys that were bumpdrafting very often... Deliberately, and in Formula cars! And almost ALL saloon series have loads of bumpdrafting throughout the field...

Doesn't make it easy, nor safe... But it's as much part of racing as overtaking (which you don't get in F1 either, so that may be why they don't Bump).
#18 - DmcL
it is only a GAME

mind tho.. i know i wouldnt like it if someone did that and lagged and cars ended up flying everywhere. suppose it really depends on the type of race, cars involved and who your playing with.
Quote from TagForce :There's one thing more stupid than bumpdrafting with lag... And that's hitting the brakes when you're being bumpdrafted

Well, I was racing on that server for two 6 lap races beforehand, lag free. And, you shouldn't need to hit on the brakes while being bumpdrafted, because the bumpdrafter should only be doing it on a long straight away (like me)
#20 - Vain
The first one who bumpdrafts me will get a big fat "Stop touching me there! My rear is virgin and it will always be! I'm not queer!"

Vain
Quote from Vain :The first one who bumpdrafts me will get a big fat "Stop touching me there! My rear is virgin and it will always be! I'm not queer!"

Vain

And that's the way it should be... Although the intonation could be a bit more, uhmmm, friendly?
Quote from wheel4hummer :Well, I was racing on that server for two 6 lap races beforehand, lag free. And, you shouldn't need to hit on the brakes while being bumpdrafted, because the bumpdrafter should only be doing it on a long straight away (like me)

The way I understood him he doesn't brake because he has to... He does it to wreck you (and more than likely himself and several innocent racers as well).

It's like that video a couple posts higher... Don't like it... Show the drafter you don't like it by doing the online equivalent of waving the (index)finger at him.
If anyone is foolish enough to bumpdraft me, I am foolish enough to sacrifice my race (and that of others) by braking as hard as possible. After a few attempts, people learn not to bumpdraft me.

How it is used on LFS is NOT a real life technique.
Bumpdrafting don't like it, and react badly when its forced upon me

Never used it because no matter how good the result, race win, some new amazing pb, I would know I how I got the result.

Just don't get it?.

John
Well, like I said, I didn't slam into the guy! illepall

It was near the beggining of the BL straightaway, and I slowed down so that my speed relative to his was about 5kph

Bumpdrafting
(137 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG