The online racing simulator
The Avro Vulcan
(43 posts, started )
#1 - MR_B
The Avro Vulcan
Quote from MR_B :Let's help get the worlds most elegant bomber back in the skys again.

I'd prefer no bombers in the sky at all
We (my family and I) support this already, and have in total donated about £500 for a very very worthy cause. We attend all local lectures and talks on the Vulcan as well.

It flew last year (test flights), and is due to take to the sky at airshows near you later this year if additional funding can be found.

The life of the Vulcan's air worthiness certificate depends on money raised (up to a maximum of 8 years I think, perhaps a bit less) so see it as early as you can.

Great plane. Hard to describe just how mind boggling awesome a display is compared to almost ANYTHING else. Red Arrows? Completely sterile and dull. Stealth Bombers? Pansy plane in comparison!
Quote from RocksGt :I'd prefer no bombers in the sky at all

That won't happen. Not until something much bigger, better and more deadly replaces it. Like VLR ICBNM

Very Long Range Inter Continental Ballistic Nuclear Missiles, so you won't even see the end coming.
Quote from tristancliffe :That won't happen. Not until something much bigger, better and more deadly replaces it. Like VLR ICBNM

Very Long Range Inter Continental Ballistic Nuclear Missiles, so you won't even see the end coming.

Oh sorry... my english is very poor... when I say "I'd prefer" I mean that I would like it, obviously it could be impossible but I still would preferring it
I wouldn't. They're awesome machines.

If you want to be an over-the-top pacifist then ban the bombs but not the bombers. Allow water balloons or something.

Edit: I've seen other posts from you - your English is DAMN GOOD!!!
Quote from tristancliffe :I wouldn't. They're awesome machines.

If you want to be an over-the-top pacifist then ban the bombs but not the bombers.

Yeah - but Tristan - do you have any idea how bad for the environment one of these bombers is - and all the other stuff that needs to be built/produced to restore and maintain it? Are you SURE you want to support this???

Awesome machine. It's just so big and wide when you see it in the air
#8 - MR_B
Er... What's the point in flying this old plane again? Just for nostalgic "Look, there's an old plane" reasons?
Quote from thisnameistaken :Er... What's the point in flying this old plane again? Just for nostalgic "Look, there's an old plane" reasons?

Well I for one much prefer attending the Ferté-Alais WWII annual airplane show than the modern ones! Seeing and most of all hearing a B-17 flying overhead in formation with fighters is very impressive!
Quote from thisnameistaken :Er... What's the point in flying this old plane again? Just for nostalgic "Look, there's an old plane" reasons?

Pretty much.

Damn good reason if you ask me.

Because this plane was one of the best at giving you the spine tingling WOW!! factor at airshows... for aviation enthusiasts like me, anyway.
Hope they are able to chuck it around the sky like they used to, i.e. like a x10 scale fighter
I saw it's second last display in the early 90's, awesome!
Vulcan? What Vulcan? Isn't the Sopwith Camel good enough? Hmpff!

I'd love to see one flying. My Dad still reckons the best part of any British Grand Prix he's seen was a Vulcan flyby into a full afterburner climb
Quote from P1lot :Because this plane was one of the best at giving you the spine tingling WOW!! factor at airshows... for aviation enthusiasts like me, anyway.

My uncle used to take me to the Finningley air show when I was a kid. I remember the Harriers used to do some cool stuff, and I remember playing with the big helicopters, that's about all I remember.

When I hear "Vulcan" I vaguely remember the name from news reports about the Falklands when I was a kid, that's about it.
Quote from Stang70Fastback :Yeah - but Tristan - do you have any idea how bad for the environment one of these bombers is - and all the other stuff that needs to be built/produced to restore and maintain it? Are you SURE you want to support this???

Abso-fecking-lutely. Even more so if it annoys environmentalists (although I want it to fly regularly regardless).

The only thing I can think of as a comparison is the bass at a heavy metal gig, standing right next to the speaker. You feel the energy in your chest. Only the Vulcan can be several thousand feet away and still do it.

Nothing else at an airshow demonstrates raw energy in the same way, and yet can be thrown around like a small fighter, and then carry heavy arsenal from England to the Falklands (via Ascension Island).
I'll give them five squillion dollars if they maintain it in a pink paintjob with "Vulcan Bummer" on each wing.
Bollocks. Bring back the Avro Lancaster - four 27L Rolls-Royce V12 Merlins, eight .303 Brownings, leather helmets and a whole lot of jolly good banter. No contest.
Avro Vulcan...Last TRUE Bomber to fly in ACTIVE missions for the RAF...just get hold of Vulcan 607 by Rowland White and read it...FANTASTIC book, and a really good "war story", whether you like fact OR fiction!

Get the Vulcans flying again!!!

(Sidenote..I am fortunate (?) enough to be able to say that I actually WORKED on these planes...they were a NIGHTMARE to get the ejection seats in and out of for servicing!)
#20 - MR_B
Quote from Hankstar :Bollocks. Bring back the Avro Lancaster - four 27L Rolls-Royce V12 Merlins, eight .303 Brownings, leather helmets and a whole lot of jolly good banter. No contest.

There's already one of those flying. There wasn't any Vulcan examples until last autumn.

What happened to the 2nd Lancaster? (canadian example). Is that still going or did it have an accident?
Mate, I meant a lot more than just one. Surely it's not too much to ask that the RAF get a dozen or so Lancs back into service in 617 Squadron?
#22 - MR_B
Quote from Hankstar :Mate, I meant a lot more than just one. Surely it's not too much to ask that the RAF get a dozen or so Lancs back into service in 617 Squadron?

And what are we going to do with all those?! Give a bunch of middle eastern countries target practice? Or a free airshow? (depending on how you look at it :tilt
Just the free airshow's fine - a lot of those "enemies" of yours are armed with US & UK weapons anyway, more than a match for a Lanc Surely you can't have a problem with a whole working Lanc squadron. If you do - that's treason!
I seem to remember hearing a year or so ago that the Canadian Lancaster had crashed. Sad if it has

I've given a bit to getting '558 in the air over the years. It was absolutely awesome at airshows - one of one two aircraft (the other is the Lightning) I've ever know to make the ground actually shake when it climbs.
Quote from Hankstar :Mate, I meant a lot more than just one. Surely it's not too much to ask that the RAF get a dozen or so Lancs back into service in 617 Squadron?

Lancs might be out, but 617 Squadron took part in the Iraq conflict (with Tornado GR4's)...and believe it or not, they were calling themselves : The SadDam Busters!)

"After me, the Flood!"

The Avro Vulcan
(43 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG