The online racing simulator
G25 Shifter repair
(29 posts, started )
#1 - 128MB
G25 Shifter repair
Hi,

My shifter has stopped working after 1,5 year. I can shift but only get 3th and 4th gear.

So i think the horizontal potmeter is ruined.

The shifter works with 2 pots like a joystick. 1 horizontal and 1 vertical. The vertical one works fine cous i can go up and down but left and right doesn't work anymore so it assume its broken.

Could it be fixed if i just solder a new one?
I don't think there are any pots in the G25 shifter... and I think the guarantee is 2 years isn't it? SO just get a replacement.
#3 - 128MB
Quote from ColeusRattus :I don't think there are any pots in the G25 shifter... and I think the guarantee is 2 years isn't it? SO just get a replacement.

yes i'v unscrewed it and there ae 2 pots in it. Depending on the position of the "joystick" inside the G25 emulates a button.

And becous i'v unscrewed it i lost my guarantee.
that's your own mistake.
#5 - 128MB
Probably is, but im just asking if this could work?
Just an idea, if there are 2 pots, try changing them with each other to find out if pot really is a problem.
#7 - 128MB
Quote from [RF]-art555 :Just an idea, if there are 2 pots, try changing them with each other to find out if pot really is a problem.

Will try that Maybe tear it up apart tomorrow.
Quote from BlakjeKaas :that's your own mistake.

Well that's just as ignorant as it gets. And yes, I think replacing those pots would fix the problem. I had the famous "1/3/5 gear" problem and fixed it by doing some mods unrelated to electronics (decreasing free movement of the shaft). That worked for like 3 months. Time for a real solution.
#9 - 128MB
Here is a pic of the pots. I easily pulled them off from the inside moving big white thingy.

As you can see, i also broke a wire from the Reverse gear selector. And i didnt even touch it. I just pulled the pots out of their place and snap it broke.

I think the wires are way too thin, and they are realy bad soldered.

Now to find these pots
Attached images
g25ShifterPots.jpg
Can't find these pots anywhere :s wtf?
I have the exact same problem! I was playing LFS, and suddenly the shifter started to fail!
1st, 3rd and 5th position makes it shift to 3rd gear.
2nd, 4th, 6th and reverse position makes it shift to 4th gear.
But if i activate the sequential mode, it works fine.. if I push the stick away from me, it's 1st gear, if I pull it to me, it's 2nd gear. But as I said, in H-pattern, only 3rd and 4th gear works.. :s

I have also restarted the computer, re-plugged the USB cable and the shifter cable, but nothing works.. the problem is there in other games/windows too..

Topic starter, have you fixed the problem now? Or what did you do about it?
check if the plastic gearboot collar fell into the box.
Huh? What do you mean with 'the plastic gearboot collar'? You mean the leather/plastic-ish thing which wraps the stick?
The plastic collar that holds the gearboot in place on the top
I've just repaired my shifter. It's NOT THE POT, it's the crappy thin wires, at least in my case. One of the yellow wires just split by itself. Resoldered the ends together and voila, like a brand new.
Yes
I have this exact problem, I'm gonna open my shifter up tomorrow, i could get a new one from gaurentee but your fixes sound far easier.

Is it just that yellow wire?
Quote from Cimanu :I have this exact problem, I'm gonna open my shifter up tomorrow, i could get a new one from gaurentee but your fixes sound far easier.

Is it just that yellow wire?

Don't open it, just send it to replacement. No one can garantee that its just a yellow wire problem for you. If its not, you won't fix your shifter and WILL loose the warranty, does the risk worth it?
I opened mine to have a look. Kinda wish I didnt, now that I know they have a 2 year guarentee. However if they ask for a receipt or something, I dont know if i have that. Could be in the box.
I took my shifter apart and could not find anything wrong all the wires we in the right place, and all the pots where attached. can anyone offer any other seggestions
Quote from agm_ultimatex :I opened mine to have a look. Kinda wish I didnt, now that I know they have a 2 year guarentee. However if they ask for a receipt or something, I dont know if i have that. Could be in the box.

hey agm_ultimatex I'm new 2 the forums btw have u fixed your shifter yet if so could u help me out too? I live in the same region as u in ontario. I,m having problems with my shifter, gears 1,3,5 won't detect any more but 2,4,6, and reverse work fine its just the upper gears doesn't work could u help me with this problem?
#22 - senn
It'd be sweet if you could buy G27 shifter...i'd use it with the G25 :P
25.00US for shipping international.
I can only imagine that with tax on that too, it could quite easily come to over £50 in total.

Thanks anyway.

G25 Shifter repair
(29 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG