The online racing simulator
8800GT Confusion
(8 posts, started )
#1 - 5haz
8800GT Confusion
Ok so, its about time my ageing PC got a thourough upgrade, unfortunately im kind of new to all this, i know what graphics cards and processors are what, but my problem is Nvidia Graphics cards.

Im looking for an 8800GT, however there seems to be about 100 different versons from different companies.

So whats this all about? and also is there one particular on that is best?

Thanks in advance
Same pcb layout but modified or tweaked bioses and extras like hdmi crap and full version game. My tip is to get the bare model from a good company with only the essential like the power connector and dvi to vga adapter. Hope that clears your confusion
Go with a big brand for one (e.g. EVGA, Asus, PNY...)

As Anik360 stated, they are all different packages. Some of the differences are extra games that are included. However, the majority of the cards have only one difference, and that's clock speed. A standard 8800GT is clocked at 600/1800 Mhz. Most companies (particularly the big ones) offer several versions, at speeds such as 650 or 700 Mhz. They are essentially factory overclocked cards to get a bit more speed out of the cards. They cost a bit more, but you get a faster card that is guaranteed under warranty, even though it's tweaked. It simply depends on how much you want to spend, and what kind of speeds you are looking for. Any 8800GT will be fast
#4 - Jakg
Whats the rest of your PC like? Your monitor? PSU?
Yes you did mention "aging" by saying that how old is your computer really? C2D? a64 X2? or pentium d's? because if you want to get an 8800gt the cpu always comes into question and then the other things such as ram speeds, how many gigs is it? overclocking maybe? os and that kind of thing.
I'd keep an eye on companies that offer lifetime warranties, and step-up programs as well. My favorite 3rd party board developers are EVGA and PNY, eh.. BFG too for the lifetime warranties.
If you want to put custom cooling on your card, and/or overclock it, EVGA is your best bet. They support aftermarket cooling and overclocking without voiding your warranty.
#8 - Jakg
as brands go - eVGA have the best warranties, closely followed by BFG. XFX are also good.

For 8800GT's most brands just use the reference design so most are the same - tbh I can't see the point in plumping up almost £200 for a Gigabyte 3-phase pre-vModded 8800GT when you can get a Inno3D 8800GT for £146 off eBuyer, and spend the rest on a cooler and DIY.

8800GT Confusion
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG