The online racing simulator
#1 - Pasci
why a limit of max 3 drivers per guest
Hi

Can anybody tell me, why (specially by LAN play) I can only add 2 AIs? In singleplayer mode lfs supports up to 11 AIs (at this time). So if I play with an friend, we can drive with max 6 cars (2 real, 4 AI). Will this changed in the future? I don't understand why this (low) limit is. Only some more AI's will be great (5 or 6 per guest).

Thanks for a statement (possible from a dev?)
Have I asked the same question before?, yes, is it possibly to do?, no....you are limited to 2 AI per guest, even on a LAN.

Dan.
#3 - Fetzo
well, he asked "why"....
-
(Bismarck) DELETED by Bismarck
#4 - Vain
As far as I know the amount of addable AIs per client is a server-setting. But I nevr set up a server. However, if you investigate on your server's settings you might find something along these lines.

Vain
#5 - ajp71
I think it's to do with the number of physics calculations LFS would have to make, I find 12 AI runs much slower than the start of a 20 car multiplayer race.
Why I don't know, I never got an answer the first time I asked, all I wanted to say was dont bother playing with the settings as you will never get more than 2 per guest.

Dan.
Maby its simply because theres no real point in an ONLINE Racing Simulator having AI's ..... what would be the point!!!
LFS saves some bandwidth by grouping the local car packets into combined packets. LFS packets are always under 256 bytes, so they can only contain the position packets for 3 cars.

It would be possible to change the code and allow more, but it would be a bit more complicated. This is just how it's always been, it was convenient and simple to code it this way. I think it would be better to code that when we can actually spawn and remove AI cars when we are in game, but have some kind of safety system, like giving real players priority, so we don't end up with situations where you can't join the race because it's full of AI drivers. Of course this needs the code to allow AIs to leave the pits, so we are talking quite a lot of compicated coding before it seems worth while to code for allowing more AIs per player.

In short, it's just the way it is. There's no absolute reason why it needs to be this way.
Quote from franky500 :Maby its simply because theres no real point in an ONLINE Racing Simulator having AI's ..... what would be the point!!!

The point my dear sir is this, at lunchtime at work we play the demo on our LAN, it would fill out the field a little more if we were able to have more AI per guest.

Dan.
Quote from danowat :The point my dear sir is this, at lunchtime at work we play the demo on our LAN, it would fill out the field a little more if we were able to have more AI per guest.

Dan.

Ask the boss to hire more people.
thanks for all your feedbacks - and, to the dev, also your great explentations of program background information ( ) - I will/must wait for later releases of lfs

Thanks!
I'm also hoping/waiting there will be more AI's in a LAN race someday.
Offcourse LFS is meant to play online, but when playing with some friends on a private network, it's nice to have some other 'competition' also

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG