The online racing simulator
Worlds first wooden supercar.
(75 posts, started )
interesting
But I wouldn't want to drive it anywhere outside. Not only because I somehow doubt that it would be a safe car, but also because wood bends with humidity, and allthough that can be lessened, it can never be stopped...
Weight for weight many woods equal or beat steel in terms of strength and rigidity.

Having said that, I'm not sure it'd make a good supercar material
Hmm, petrol and wood. Pretty fire.
Ugly but fast...I can't choose
Would be great to take that car up in the countryside to a hotel, only to wake up the next morning to the sound of woodpeckers poking holes everywhere in your car :doh:
The entire car, which is made from a combination of maple, plywood and MDF

ehm...excuse me? Plywood and MDF that does 240 mph with a human inside?
they could have at least made it look like this to save the trouble after the crash
hmmm they probably saw Al Gore's film at took it a bit too serious
Quote from squidhead :
they could have at least made it look like this to save the trouble after the crash

They did, but it was a few years back
Pic1
Pic2

Edit: Frokki beat me arrrr....
I don't see how this couldn't beat a Lambo. This wood car has the same shape just with lighter materials, it has to be faster.
Well, at least we're advancing in the environmental front! Now instead of creating 500 tons of carbon fiber that'll end up in a landfill, we're cutting down 500 trees!

...wait.
#15 - MR_B
He's quoted as saying it's possible to make a Formula One car from it...... What a load of....... ..........................hang on.....
It seems wooden cars are quite in fashion, but it just doesn't make sense at all OK it's a good fun to have a wooden car, but what the hell do people do with them...Do not tell me they really drive these cars.. Waste of money and time
Why is it a waste of time? What is so bad about wood? Looked after prior to manufacture the wood isn't going to warp all the time. It's strong and light. Less prone to splintering that most composites. It won't rust.

Sure, if you use the same techniques as to make a steel/composite car it'd be rubbish, but I'd put money on them using techniques that lend themselves to the material. As every 10+ year old would.
Why all the fuss? Wooden cars have been around for.......

EVER!!!

Quote from tristancliffe :Sure, if you use the same techniques as to make a steel/composite car it'd be rubbish, but I'd put money on them using techniques that lend themselves to the material. As every 10+ year old would.

Let's get welding some wood!
Oddly, two Flintstone cars are in the next Coys auction (I think it was Coys).
Quote from email :Boss,

I won't be able to make it to work today. I was ready to leave this morning only to find my car infested with termites. After Terminex arrives and takes care of the infestation, I'll have to run to Home Depot to get some new floorboards and a rear quarter panel. I should be back to work on Friday.

Thanks....

Quote from tristancliffe :Weight for weight many woods equal or beat steel in terms of strength and rigidity.

Having said that, I'm not sure it'd make a good supercar material

without proper treatment, wood breaks, where metal would bend.

what i'm not sure of, is energy absorbtion in the "crumple zones" on the wooden car. how well would the wood compare to metal in these areas?
Quote from tristancliffe :Why is it a waste of time? What is so bad about wood? Looked after prior to manufacture the wood isn't going to warp all the time. It's strong and light. Less prone to splintering that most composites. It won't rust.

I completely agree. There have been very few wooden cars, the original Marcos is a rare example, for its time it was lighter and stronger than conventional sports cars and they generally seem to have stood the time with most problems occurring from people using engines with far more power than the chassis was designed to cope with and some rot issues, although nothing compared to the rust its contemporaries have suffered.

I think wood could still be a sensible material choice, manufactured boards are now considered stronger than steel girders for a lot of large scale building constructions so there's no reason why it shouldn't be considered. I doubt a wooden car would be likely to be a true rival to composite racing cars any time soon and I think you'd struggle to race any car without a steel rollcage or composite roll hoop so wood probably doesn't make a lot of sense for racing atm. For road cars though it could be perfect, with modern manufacturing techniques wooden cars could be mass produced rather than hand crafted and they could be lighter and stronger than steel or aluminum cars with similar costs. Given that reducing excess weight will help make modern cars safer, faster and better for the environment I think car companies should be seriously looking at the feasibility of a mass produced wooden car rather than silly hybrid and bio-fuel nonsense.
Quote from glyphon :without proper treatment, wood breaks, where metal would bend.

Badly prepared metal and composite cars are equally liable to catastrophic failure.

Quote :
what i'm not sure of, is energy absorbtion in the "crumple zones" on the wooden car. how well would the wood compare to metal in these areas?

I'm sure modern manufactured boards will offer far more freedom for engineers to design materials that can deform exactly how they want to.
Quote from glyphon :without proper treatment, wood breaks, where metal would bend.

The bodywork of TVRs is made from glass fibre. It will not bend all that much before shattering. Then energy absorbtion is considerable though, and in less extreme cases can save the chassis from taking any damage in an accident. Although not mass produced enough to need to pass crash testing (in the UK at least), I've heard (from a reliable source) that TVR has tried crash testing its models and, although I don't know which model in particular this was referring to, once the car was crashed, the bodywork was replaced, it was deemed in fit condition, and suitably crashed again.

(75 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG