The online racing simulator
IRL and Champ Car merger
(61 posts, started )
I'll actually be disappointed if this happens.

I liked Champ Car because of the fact that it was an international series, which meant I could relate to it a bit better than IRL, which spends all it's time in the US. It also means a whole load less road and street circuit racing for the US, which is a bad thing. Oval racing can get terribly boring.
Champcar is a sinking ship. Perhaps there is room for one big series with bigger grids. Against Nascar, open wheel racing has to organize, which a merge of IRL and Champcar would exactly do.

Do you want a mixed oval / road course league, or no more 'premier' open wheel racing in America at all?
Quote from aoun :I always loved Cart/Champcar. Loved it more then F1. Montoya, Zinardi, Fittapoldi, Andretti, Rahal. Remembered those names as a kid (only grew up with Montoya to formula one). Never liked the IRL and maybe wont ever, just gotta see what the merge is like i guess.

Pole Position with Montoya at detriot il never forget. Watch 1min-1.05min, and 1.35min .

http://youtube.com/watch?v=05vLC_zjPpY

Monty and Zanardi at Ganassi was some of the best driving I've ever seen in openwheelers.
That and his move at Laguna 1996 are just...incredible

DK
All my dad could say was, "Now Paul Tracy can take back his Indy 500."
Quote from Niels Heusinkveld :Champcar is a sinking ship. Perhaps there is room for one big series with bigger grids. Against Nascar, open wheel racing has to organize, which a merge of IRL and Champcar would exactly do.

Do you want a mixed oval / road course league, or no more 'premier' open wheel racing in America at all?

It's not going to really be a mix. It's going to have more ovals than road courses.

Quote from spookthehamster :I'll actually be disappointed if this happens.

I liked Champ Car because of the fact that it was an international series, which meant I could relate to it a bit better than IRL, which spends all it's time in the US. It also means a whole load less road and street circuit racing for the US, which is a bad thing. Oval racing can get terribly boring.

IRL also races at Motegi in Japan. I've always advocated for IRL to go to Rockingham (Britain) and Eurospeedway but oh well. The problem is, if ChampCar doesn't merge. It'll likely go defunct in the near future.
#33 - aoun
How could i forget Greg Moore!

He was a great! .
Will it the first step of American to challenge F1?
This re-union needs to be with a new chasis, the new ones in champ car are ugly, i love the 90's chasis

And that Montoya video, its not Montoya, its Raymond Mooney
Yay, it's 1995 again.

This year doesn't look very interested because.. well it's IRL with a handful of new road courses. (Edmonton and Long Beach for sure, other?) Hopefully next year we can get new cars and a nice schedule together.
But I have a question
Is Indy car fit on Champ Car Circut?
I had saw some photo, Indy car's brake disc is look like the motorbike--very slight, & Indy car is design for oval.

& will the support race also merger? Atlantic & IPS
will ALMS & SCCA Pro Racing race with the new series like CCWS before?
IndyCar have been running road courses and street circuits for a good few years now so that's no problem. 2009 is really where this new merger begins for me, I imagine the calendar will get a good workover next year.
And than, they are merger in 2008 or 2009?
on champcarworldseries.com there are no news.
on the official indy car site (http://www.indycar.com/news/story.php?story_id=10557) there is the story online...

Quote :Indy Racing League founder and CEO Tony George and owners of the Champ Car World Series have completed an agreement in principle that will unify major American open-wheel racing for 2008.

That's because this is not a merger. Champ Car ceases to exist and the IRL continues with most of the Champ Car teams and a few of its venues. They'll even be racing with the IRL's Dallara's instead of the much better looking Panoz DP01...

I'm sad the better one of the two had to go. Hopefully something can be build up from here. For now I have to see if I really can be interested in following a serie led by Tony George.
Krutch, that's because the DP01 cannot be raced on ovals, it simply wasn't built for them.
Quote from duke_toaster :Krutch, that's because the DP01 cannot be raced on ovals, it simply wasn't built for them.

Why, exactly?
But why did champcar leavw from IRL in 1995?
Quote from scania :But whgy did champcar leavw from IRL in 1995?

That has already been posted sir:

Quote from Lateralus :Before 1996, there was just one premier open-wheel series called CART (Championship Auto Racing Teams). It raced on superspeedways (Indy 500), short ovals, permanent road courses and street circuits.

Tony George's family has owned the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for decades. He was on the board of directors of CART, but his opinions were basically ignored. CART continued to do what it wanted in spite of objections on the part of the owner of the track which held CART's biggest race of the year.

Because of this, Tony George decided to leave CART and found his own series which only raced on ovals. Regs were much more restrictive in order to reduce costs which were spiralling out of control in CART. CART lost the Indy 500, but most of the big drivers stayed in CART. In the first couple seasons of IRL there were very few races and even fewer seriously talented drivers.

IRL struggled to gain much prestige especially in the first few years. CART was strong for a few years after the split, but it gradually waned into obscurity. Somewhere in here the named to CCWS (Champ Car World Series).

A few years ago IRL branched out into road courses. It also gained a few big-name teams which defected from CART. This is when the rumors of a merger started to fly.

A couple years later, here we are.

Quote from duke_toaster :Krutch, that's because the DP01 cannot be raced on ovals, it simply wasn't built for them.

Sorry? It's a carbon tubbed single seater with fully adjustable suspension what possible reason is there that it can't race round in circles.
Quote from Lateralus :Why, exactly?

Wrong aero package, crash testing, specific brakes and so-on. Add to that engine mountings for the Honda unit, and that IIRC they are more expensive than the IRL Dallaras. Although I would be more than happy to see Panoz/G-Force/Elan go back to Championship Indy Car World Series League or whatever.
#49 - 5haz
Im actually quite sad to see Champ Car go, i really did like the DP01, and with the introduction of standing starts and wet racing I began to really like Champ Car.

And the tracks such as Mont Tremblant wont be raced on this year, if i remember there was some pretty good racing there in the rain last year.

Oh well hopefully in later years more of the good points of CCWS get implemented
The typo in this article made me chuckle..
Merger News

IRL and Champ Car merger
(61 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG