The online racing simulator
The term "Grip"/"Grippers"
(46 posts, started )

Poll : Do you like the term "grip"?

No, it should be "racing" or "racer"
Either way is fine
Yes, it's fine
I finally found out where that name came from. It's from Need for Speed: Prostreet where "straight up races" are called "grip races".

Does anyone like this name? I honestly prefer the term racing or racer than grip or gripper.
Stupid drifters.
It sounds ridiculous.
Anyone who calls racing 'gripping' goes straight on my ignore list.
The term has been around since long before ProStreet came out.

It's just come about from delusioned drifters who think that drifting is racing, which it is not.
And they think that whilst drifting they have no grip! :S
Yeah, the name is much older than ProStreet, and I think it was coined as a degratory name for people who drove faster than the doriftoers by simply not hanging their tail out in every corunah!
Quote from MAGGOT :The term has been around since long before ProStreet came out.

It's just come about from delusioned drifters who think that drifting is racing, which it is not.

+ several million
Just call them skidders.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Just call them skidders.

Isn't that what they are (at least when trying to use a polite term anyway)? spades and spades and all that

Regards,

Ian
Prostreet is a new game, people have been calling "grippers" "grippers" for ... a long freaking time now!
Quote from zeugnimod :It sounds ridiculous.

Agreed, the term is quite retarded. I just wanted to see how many share my sentiments

Quote from ColeusRattus :Yeah, the name is much older than ProStreet, and I think it was coined as a degratory name for people who drove faster than the doriftoers by simply not hanging their tail out in every corunah!

Ok thxs for the update
Quote from The Moose :Anyone who calls racing 'gripping' goes straight on my ignore list.

STFU you gripper!!!

jk, but seriously, there are different camps, drift vs. grip, where you do indeed need unorthodox methods to get through a short corner fast, and there is the RWD vs. FF vs. AWD battle... but in my opinion... grip is a factor that is good in all cases, even drifters like grip... it's what gives you control...

If you say that gripping is just for straight racing... i don't know what to say... except, maybe that you should go see a lobotomist to do a reverse operation... because grip is good for ALL motor sports...

I am going to have to say... "STFU, RICERS!"
"No". I cringe whenever I see someone use it, and then skip the rest of the post.

Do you think people will read the poll results, pause for a moment of deep self reflection, realize the reason behind the animosity, and then stop using the term?
Can you imagine a basketball dunk artist calling everyone else "dribblers". Bwahahahahhahahahaa!
:uglyhamme
If we are talking about cars and such then:
Grip is what you have, or don't have, between the tyre and the road surface.
Gripping is what the tyre does when it has grip.
I haven't the foggiest what a "gripper" is.
I do know who, or what, Jack the Ripper was but I don't think that has anything to do with this.
Quote from March Hare :

[ snip ]

I haven't the foggiest what a "gripper" is.

[ snip ]

That thin piece of wood with spikes in it under, around the edges of carpet to keep it held in place

Regards,

Ian
You learn something new every day.
Quote from Mattesa :Can you imagine a basketball dunk artist calling everyone else "dribblers". Bwahahahahhahahahaa!
:uglyhamme

wow, that is actually a very good analogy
Quote from lizardfolk :I finally found out where that name came from. It's from Need for Speed: Prostreet where "straight up races" are called "grip races".

Did you try checking for reality?

NFS Pro Street, out november 2007
Term "Grip Racing" out over a few years ago
Up north round here, a gripper is someone who breaks legs for fun, or it can be a butch female. Both are pretty scary
Quote from XCNuse :Prostreet is a new game, people have been calling "grippers" "grippers" for ... a long freaking time now!

+1 Exactly what I was gunna say.

It has nothing to do with need for speed, has been used way before ProStreet came out.

*Edit* heh just saw squids post aswell. Agreed.

As for me I dont mind if it is called grip race or simply a race. Either ways ill know what their talking about. If they want a battle, then say battle and ill put the norms on n drift !

------399th post in about 3 months -------

(46 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG