The online racing simulator
#76 - Woz
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :I thought understeer was when your actually into the corner and you either are going to fast or don't have enough front wing to make it back out.

Im not even getting into the corner before it feels bad. Thanks anyway G25 soon i hope and ill see what happens.

Now I see the problem. This might help, its called the circle of traction. Think of a circle where the inside represents grip and outside is where you have asked too much from the tyre in question. From the centre of the circle up is acceleration, down is braking and left and right when you turn in that direction.

You will notice that if you turn it limits the amount of acceleration or braking force the tyres can deal with before they give out. You have moved away from the centre line because you have appled turning forces. The more you turn the less you can brake or accelerate without losing grip and best acceleration or brakeing can be done in a straight line.

This circle changes size on each tyre as you use weight transfer to get the car to do what you want it to do. IRL its more an oval sort of shape but the principle holds out.

I found early on in sim racing it helps that I tried to think what I was asking of the tyres because I didnt have the other things like changes in G to tell me what was happening.

Driving a car fast on the edge is about balance. In reality you are contacted to the road by 4 small contact patches. You have to learn to manage what they can give you as best you can.

HTH
FFS! cheers guys now im addicted to hotlapping, got beat by daveWS for BF1 so i got the FOX instead been up all night trying to beat it Big grin Had to say something.
#78 - Woz
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :FFS! cheers guys now im addicted to hotlapping, got beat by daveWS for BF1 so i got the FOX instead been up all night trying to beat it Big grin Had to say something.

Did the circle of grip thing help at all?
Eerrrr no i tried to uunderstand but i just didn't get it. besides im not having trouble with the FOX.
For the record, Woz, I thought that was a very intuitive and useful method of explaining grip levels, and I'll definitely remember to use it. Cheers Smile

Sam

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG