The online racing simulator
No smoke without drift
(23 posts, started )
No smoke without drift
Hey Guys,

Just a quick question really. I'm new to LFS (and I must say S2 really does kick a$$) and have been drifting the XRT all weekend but when comparing my replay to other drift replays out there I note that I very rarely produce any smoke (the only time I can see smoke is when I really loose control!!), im revving hard and I leave tyre lines all through the corners but not a stitch of smoke from the rear.

I wonder if it's my driving or something that can be tweaked with the tyre settings

Any clues, I love drifting but its just not the same without smoke
maybe your setting for dust lod (under options => graphics) is too low
Quote from Shotglass :maybe your setting for dust lod (under options => graphics) is too low

Great, thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out just as son as I get home.
Try lower tire pressures. At least in S1, tires with high pressure produced very little smoke, while tires with low pressure produced a lot.

Also, you may want to try driving properly. I personally find it much more rewarding and it's what the sim is designed for. There's nothing quite like sticking that line perfectly, right on the edge of traction, with maximum lateral acceleration, and doing that repeatedly.
Oddly, the normal tires most drifters use on the rear of their car doesnt produce smoke until they are really hot.
#6 - evans
Quote from Forbin :Try lower tire pressures. At least in S1, tires with high pressure produced very little smoke, while tires with low pressure produced a lot.

Also, you may want to try driving properly. I personally find it much more rewarding and it's what the sim is designed for. There's nothing quite like sticking that line perfectly, right on the edge of traction, with maximum lateral acceleration, and doing that repeatedly.

He's right, y'know..

Quote from Shotglass :maybe your setting for dust lod (under options => graphics) is too low

If that was the case, he wouldn't be seeing more smoke in the replays than when he's driving
I have a feeling he isn't drifting properly at all, or yes, it could be some graphics settings issues. Probably just sliding the car, but no power oversteer? If you just get some skidmarks, that doesn't necessarily mean you will see smoke.
Quote from Forbin :

I do drive the game properly I just really like to drift too!

Thanks for the tip but the dust lod was at max already
Quote from evans :
If that was the case, he wouldn't be seeing more smoke in the replays than when he's driving

No smoke in the replays either, unless of course I do a nice big doughnut
Quote from Tweaker :I have a feeling he isn't drifting properly at all

This is quite possible, new to drifting both in a real sense and simulated.

Quote from Tweaker :Probably just sliding the car, but no power oversteer? If you just get some skidmarks, that doesn't necessarily mean you will see smoke.

Whether im actually drifing or not is yet to be confirmed However im sure I am at least getting power over.... I would post a replay but im not sure how you go about converting the replay into an mpeg/avi.
Save a replay, and then goto your LFS/data/spr folder and find the replay. Then attach it here to the forum. Violla, we can see your replay .

(mpr folder is for an online replay, if you saved one while online)
Quote from Tweaker :Save a replay, and then goto your LFS/data/spr folder and find the replay. Then attach it here to the forum. Violla, we can see your replay .

Nice, thank you. I will post one up shortly (my LFS install is on a different laptop)
Quote from NovaTez :Hey Guys,

Just a quick question really. I'm new to LFS (and I must say S2 really does kick a$$) and have been drifting the XRT all weekend but when comparing my replay to other drift replays out there I note that I very rarely produce any smoke (the only time I can see smoke is when I really loose control!!), im revving hard and I leave tyre lines all through the corners but not a stitch of smoke from the rear.

I wonder if it's my driving or something that can be tweaked with the tyre settings

Any clues, I love drifting but its just not the same without smoke

How hot are your tyres getting? You don't get much smoke at all until they get pretty hot.
Quote from MWFV6 :How hot are your tyres getting? You don't get much smoke at all until they get pretty hot.

I've been keeping an eye on this, even when the tyres are red hot very little smoke. After Tweakers question as to whether or not I was actually drifting I went back and looked at an old replay in slo-mo and I wasnt convinced that the rears were actually breaking traction, it did look like I was just sliding.

I went back to square 1, tweaked my LSD settings and practiced my drifting some more. Now im sure im drifting, especially looking at some of the angles I managed to pull off but still no smoke.

I will post a replay just as soon as I get used to the new settings and manage a decent couple of laps without spooning off the track
Quote from NovaTez :I've been keeping an eye on this, even when the tyres are red hot very little smoke.

I might be wrong here but I think you have to be quite far into the red to get them really smoking.

Have you tried just donuting until the tyres pop and seeing if the smoke starts to get more noticable?
Quote from MWFV6 :I might be wrong here but I think you have to be quite far into the red to get them really smoking.

Have you tried just donuting until the tyres pop and seeing if the smoke starts to get more noticable?

I think you are right, I can produce loads of smoke during a doughnut. I didnt get a chance to look at it yesterday but I have a few hours put aside tomorrow to try this some more.

Thanks again for your help!!
#18 - DmcL
F9 is a tyre monitor. blue = cold, green = bang on, red = your gonna die, black = flat, rainbow = flatspots.
Be sure and post a replay of you sliding. The thing is, smoke isn't always created just from your car sliding... so don't expect it everytime you slide.
i have found out that if you drift on the gp track as you get to the end of the long staright you should slam your brakes on well before the bend/chicane and the wheels will pop making the tyres smoke as you drift but this also makes it hard to keep the car drifting so go easy on the throttle as you drift
smoke doesn't come unless your tires are getting hot.

when its hot, its all about how heavy your right foot is, just floor your throttle to the max, you can enter the corner gracefully, while you've passed the apex, just floor it all the way to the exit, leaving trail of smoke.

sometimes the rev bouncing off the redline doesn't create much smoke either, if you shift up one gear you might produce greater wheel spin.

more wheel spin = more smoke.

sometimes when you drift, it doesn't necessary means that your rear tires are spinning though (depends on how you drive), so pay attention to that if you wanna produce smokey slides.
I've actually moved from drifting in LFS to getting a copy of 'racer' with the 'D1GP mod'.

Although it doesnt feel as smooth and as well developed as LFS it's tweaked specifically for drifting, there are a few official D1 cars (More on their way apparently) and a JDM track. No problem getting smoke from the back of Ken Nomura's Skyline

Of course, I will still be playing LFS so no flames please...lol

No smoke without drift
(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG