The online racing simulator
Forcefeedback patches?
(4 posts, started )
Forcefeedback patches?
Don't flame me, but this thread is about driving with feedback, and with a joystick, lol. Until I can afford to move to a DFP, (only wheel I would buy, due to the 900 degree rotation, feedback, and ability to use it on the PS2/3), I'm stuck playing LFS with my MS Feedback 2 stick. Once I get the car moving and can be REALLY gentle moving the stick for steering, it feels pretty good, but starting from a stop or moving the steering left or right a tad too quick, produces a horrible left/right stick motion that's just about impossible to gain control of. Even with the feedback strength turned down to like 35% I get a violent left to right motion, like a steering wheel that's trying to center due to the car wanting to track straight. (and below 30% it's not strong enough to make worth having on) So my question is, is there any fix/patch for this, for us poor guys stuck playing with a joystick? I've never expierienced this before with any other driving game, and if only there was a way to get past it I think feedback would be a welcome addition to joystick driving - but until then, I just have to turn it off, heh. Oh yeah, for the record, this is playing without any MS software running, which means the issue isn't due to having the incorrect feedback profile selected etc. Speaking of which, maybe somebody knows where to get a good LFS specific profile I could use to remedy the problem?
This also happens on the wheels, although less severe as there's a bigger amount of movement available. The problem is that the FF of the hardware lags behind a tiny bit to what LFS says, resulting in "overshooting" the center, immediately generating hard counter forces.
This is also because the force is only generated in one direction, so when the wheel pulls left, you can theoretically turn the wheel left at infinite speed without counter resistance. IRL if you turn the wheel left too fast it will create a small countering force to the right, simply because of the tyres scrubbing on the ground. So actually it's not really Scawens fault, it's the fault of our imperfect FF hardware.

There are two ways to fix this: either Scawen writes an anti-oscillation code, or you activate sort of a "damping" effect for your joystick (if the drivers support that).

Both have the negative sideeffect of altering the forces, with the first one being much harder because there's so many different wheels with so many configurations out there that you simply cannot fix it for all.
Quote from AndroidXP :So actually it's not really Scawens fault, it's the fault of our imperfect FF hardware.

As far as I know, most FF hardware has supported "hardware" damper and spring effects for a long time, LFS just doesn't seem to be using them.
A little sad to hear this, though I still need a wheel, and maybe somthing will come of this in later patching etc. I'm sure it can't be nearly as bad with a wheel either. The only thing that should ever be done with a stick is flying, haha. As for "damping effect for your joystick (if the drivers support that)", I'm not sure what you mean by this Android, but I don't think MS software supports this feature. Is it a Logitech thing? (since at least up until MS dropped out, them and Logitech were the two big competitors in the feedback world..)

Forcefeedback patches?
(4 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG