The online racing simulator
Has my Pc become obsolete to lfs?
(42 posts, started )
#1 - wonza
Has my Pc become obsolete to lfs?
Hey, theres just something i gotta know. when i first started playing S2 about 3 patches ago, my computer ran lfs perfect, even with alot of cars max graphics , perfect. nowadays i think it might be tired, if i have 2 cars infront of me, it lags horribly and difficult to drift. Specs are:

intel celeron 3.2gig
2gig ddr ram
mvidia geforce 7600 GS

latest drivers , direct x all that.

does lfs' requirement exceed these specs or is my pc dieing.

Cheers.
Your computer should handle LFS fine. I had a much worse computer than you before, and it ran LFS fine (40+) with full field in front, that was online of course. Singleplayer it was down to 10, but still, your computer should manage it.
Maybe you have got som virus or spyware/adware that slows it down?

Maybe try installing window again, and install a anti-virus program, like AVG. If it then doesn`t help your computer is maybe die`ing :/
Try reinstalling LFS itself, my friend has a huge fps drop on his PC compared to X30 patch. Its weird...
If you're experiencing similar problems in other games as well you could re-format the whole thing and start from scratch. That should bring your PC back to how it was when it was new.
Also, have you added a lot of extra graphical stuff?
#6 - mr_x
I have exactly the same problem with:

P4 3.06GHz
2GB DDR400
GeForce 7600GS

Before patch Y I had addons and all sorts (AA etc.), now on a fresh LFS install, no AA no AF, no texture addons, just a clean LFS install, 512x512 skins, low-res textures. A full grid on FE Club (well 20 cars) just doesn't work anymore. 10-20fps... unplayable.

No, spyware isn't the problem, no viruses aren't a problem, no I don't need to re-install windows (it has been done since patch Y), and yes ALL other games i've played are just fine. The problem lies within LFS since patch Y.
[ WOOOOOOOT I'M BACK]

Its because you're trying to dtift. Stop doing that and it'll be fine
#8 - robt
notice how its both the same setups (give or take 150mhz) wonder if it happens to sub 3ghz or AMD processors or people with under 2 gig of ram? i know it doesnt happen to me! (amd athlon 2400. 1.5 gig ram, nvidia 5700Le )
AMD Athlon 2400+ 512MB Geforce 6200
It's as slow as before patch Y.

How are you guys with empty space on your hard drives?
And just a little othing thing too, if you playing only SO tracks, you`ll notice FPS drop on around 30 FPS, so if you only have tried SO tracks the last days, try a other one and see how the FPS is there.
#11 - mr_x
Quote from March Hare :
How are you guys with empty space on your hard drives?

Main C: drive has ~100GB free (250GB drive) - it's where LFS is installed.

Quote from The Very End :And just a little othing thing too, if you playing only SO tracks, you`ll notice FPS drop on around 30 FPS, so if you only have tried SO tracks the last days, try a other one and see how the FPS is there.

I was racing on FE Club with XFG/XRG on CTRA last night, I did 1 race and gave up because it was unplayable.

I originally thought it was just SO (see thread in 'track bugs' section), but it's not, it seems like every single track now.
How long since you last reinstalled your windows?

This should be done yearly. Or monthly depending on usage.

Do you shutdown the computer for the night?
Sounds like an LFS bug to me; it would probably be worth your while to send off an email to Scawen about it, or post in the bug section.
#14 - mr_x
Quote from March Hare :How long since you last reinstalled your windows?

Do you shutdown the computer for the night?

I work as a computer technician for a living. My computer stays on overnight and I tend to restart it every 2-3 days. It was last formatted and re-installed about 3 weeks ago, usually I do it once every 3-4 months.

Although I am aware this is probably aimed at the OP, so ignore me.
Quote from March Hare :How long since you last reinstalled your windows?

There isn't any reason to reinstall Windows monthly. That's way too often. Reinstalling Windows is an absolute last resort.

Try either upgrading or downgrading your graphics drivers. When I first installed LFS I was constantly in the 20s FPS-wise. I rolled back my drivers to a slightly older version and my FPS tripled. You just have to find the version which works best for your particular system.
mr_x, did your troubles start after that re-install or prior to it?
If yes it might be a dodgy install.
If no then propably an LFS bug. Something to do with the Direct-X version maybe.

I confess! I did over exaggerated a bit on the re-install frequency.

Good point about the drivers.
The resolution of the asphalt texture has been increased to 2048x2048 in patch Y i think.
Yes I can't be from your computer if you don't download , or seeding in that moment.My computer is:
CPU 1.77ghz
Ram 256
Video Card Nvidia 64mb
NEC dvd
Sony Cd
and i have a little lag only when i join and download skin It would be from your Internet or from Server location
Greetz!
#19 - mr_x
Quote from March Hare :mr_x, did your troubles start after that re-install or prior to it?
If yes it might be a dodgy install.
If no then propably an LFS bug. Something to do with the Direct-X version maybe.

I confess! I did over exaggerated a bit on the re-install frequency.

Good point about the drivers.

It happened as soon as I put patch Y on.

I re-installed in the first week of January, and there was no difference in performance. As I've said already, all my other games (rfactor, RACE07) run perfectly. All drivers are the same as pre-patch Y. I had to change some components (from Athlon XP3200+ to a P4 3.06) as my old motherboard died - this was the reason for re-install. But I also had the same low-FPS problem with my Athlon aswell - so it's not JUST an Intel problem.
Try putting minimum sleep to 1 ms from options. For me it was set to 20 ms and I was struggling to get 30 fps at starts until I realized to tune it down. Now I'm getting good fps again even with full grid. No idea why there is such an option
#21 - Jakg
Erm, the default is 1ms...
#22 - wien
Quote from mr_x :It happened as soon as I put patch Y on.

Would you mind trying a clean install of the X-patch (or older) now and see if you do indeed get better framerates there? Just to make sure Patch Y introduced the problem...

Also, when you say you get poor performance with 20 people on the grid, do you mean 20 AI or 20 people online? Have you touched the dynamic LOD reduction at all?

The fact that you're both using a 7600GS looks a bit suspicious to me though.
Nah, you're all wrong. Patch Y includes Starforce. That's what's screwing everything up.
No it's not. I made it all up.
#24 - mr_x
Quote from wien :Would you mind trying a clean install of the X-patch (or older) now and see if you do indeed get better framerates there? Just to make sure Patch Y introduced the problem...

Also, when you say you get poor performance with 20 people on the grid, do you mean 20 AI or 20 people online? Have you touched the dynamic LOD reduction at all?

The fact that you're both using a 7600GS looks a bit suspicious to me though.

Online... I did mention CTRA server.

I can't use patch X as far as I'm aware due to the auto-update system which would just patch it back to Y again. I've not touched LOD reduction. Why should I? it was working fine in patch X with as mentioned above, higher res textures etc.

The 7600GS shouldn't have anything to do with it... LFS is DirectX 8 graphics, I've played rFactor in DX8 and have no performance issues, and I am currently playing it in DX9 mode with 4xAA 2xAF and all high or max detail settings (apart from Shadows) and STILL getting >40fps even with a grid of 15 cars on a very high detail mod and high detal track (Porsche Carrera Cup 2007 + Laguna Seca).

I think it's just the fact that LFS is demanding too much from processors... IMO the min specs should be upped on the website to Dual Core 2.0GHz+

I'll be an LFS racer converted to rFactor within the next month if it continues like this... no point on playing a game that my computer won't play.
#25 - wien
Quote from mr_x :...

Hey, I'm just trying to reduce the number of variables here to pinpoint the problem.

Anyway, the autoupdater won't autoupdate unless you tell it to. You could easily experiment a bit offline with a few AIs and see if there's a massive difference between X and Y. That would help immensely in pinpointing the problem as it would prove that patch Y is the problem and not something else that happened at the same time.

The CPU usage didn't change that much between X and Y, so that is probably not the problem. (I didn't notice anything) South City did get a bit heavier though due to the new and awesome graphics, so keep that in mind.

You graphics card could also be very much relevant. This could very well be a driver bug or something that only patch Y provokes. That's why it's important to rule out any other stuff by testing patch X on your current setup.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG