The online racing simulator
Setup Holding (setup Fix)
(31 posts, started )

Poll : SETUP HOLDING (SETUP FIX)

Closed since :
YES, it need for fair onemake race
No, it no need
Quote from spankmeyer :1) Hard limiting setups would be a bullet in the head for game play. I have certain-wheel-with-a-25-in-the-name, drive without any aids using H-shifter when necessary and use 100% linear steering thus I want to change my steering degrees and brake balance to suit my personal driving style (using lots of trail braking for instance).

Ahem once again.
Quote from word. :Meh... people should just take the time to learn how to setup a car.

This isn't the point of forced setup. The point is for everyone to be on the same playing field with car setup, not for those who can't be bothered with setup or bothered with simply downloading a set.
@Spanky,

Surely you can't disagree that the restriction of certain setup elements would make for a more realistic simulation?.

I am talking mainly about the gearing and the suspension which you can currently tweak to the nth degree.
Quote from danowat :@Spanky,

Surely you can't disagree that the restriction of certain setup elements would make for a more realistic simulation?.

I am talking mainly about the gearing and the suspension which you can currently tweak to the nth degree.

Quote from spankmeyer :I do like the idea of removing lot of setup options from the road cars.

Ahem cough huaargh cough cough drool.
Quote from word. :Meh... people should just take the time to learn how to setup a car. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes a lot of fun. Learning how to setup a car properly will also help you with your driving, and managing your tyre temperatures. If all else fails then just download a hotlap setup off team Inferno and reduce the camber and increase the tyre pressure, that literally takes 10 seconds to do and I can be within 1 second of the WR no problem most of the time.

-1. Just because a few people can't be bothered setting up their car, everyone has to suffer a potentially poor handling setup? no thanks.

thats maybe for u, the uberpros, but we, the casual racers, dont have time for something and only want to race
Quote from rjm1982 :Not so much. It worked great in other games (NR2002). It works great in real life (there are many leagues on the entry-level that do this, alot of them in karting)

If your still a better driver, of course you will do better, thats the whole point. With fixed setups, the drivers win, not the cars. I can shave 5 seconds of of alot of tracks with just the right setup (compared to the basic "hardtrack") setup.

Also, it would allow the server to force more realistic setups. One area that LFS is lacking is ride-height. It handles it correctly as far as the suspension goes, but it doesn't handle airflow under the car affecting its performance...so many setups out there jack the cars up so they can smash the curbs to get better lap times...IRL, that wouldnt fly...

good point

Setup Holding (setup Fix)
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG