The online racing simulator
skins - copyright?
(21 posts, started )
skins - copyright?
can i use, online, the skins founded in the skins_x folder, or there is a copyright?
As soon as somebody creates an original work, it is copyrighted, so yes, each of those skins are copyrighted. Some may be free for the public to use, so try to find out who made the skin you want to use and get their permission to use it. If you can't get permission, don't use it.

Maybe if you post the skin here as an attachment, somebody might know who made it.
This is an item for good etiquette really. I don't think you'll find a court in the world that can be arsed to take legal proceeedings against breach of copyright when it comes to shared internet forum resources like this and non-profit making stuff like car skins, but it's just good manners really
Quote from al heeley :This is an item for good etiquette really. I don't think you'll find a court in the world that can be arsed to take legal proceeedings against breach of copyright when it comes to shared internet forum resources like this and non-profit making stuff like car skins, but it's just good manners really

but either way, if the author ever finds out and notices it... they will most certainly be furious majority of the time

if you asked them if you can edit it and they agreed then it would be okay, but either way.. best to just make something up by yourself.. better that way too
Some skins may have a "private skin" text somewhere on them (not on the part that is on the car, but in the empty space between car panels.. usually. lol) in which case, it is probably ok to use it

Otherwise - Ask first.
tx to all for the answers.

so.....in particular...
1- ok for the skins with some private text, i don't want use those
2 - ok for the all skins in the skin_x folder, i have to ask permission
3 - have i to ask permission also for skins without private text founded somewhere in the forum ? i suppose yes
4 - have i to ask permission for skins without private text founded in some web sites ? i suppose yes

so...now...i have to delete all skins that i actually use, and then searching again them for to know from who to ask permission...is it right?

5 - MAGGOT - i have a skin for MRT5 that it has a text in the empty space and there is written "ask to....." ...i noticed this last night...i use it on my MRT5, i didn't notice this, i apologize...i'll send mail for asking permission
You don't have to ask pemission for public skins
Quote from hrtburnout :You don't have to ask pemission for public skins

uhmmm i begin to understand nothing :faint:
so...in your opinion only skins in the skins_x folder need to ask permission?
in my opinion, anyone posting a skin on the forum is giving his work to the community UNLESS they specifically say it is a private skin only.
Any skin that has a specific message on it saying: "Private, do not use" is obviously not for others.

I think most people get really uptight when someone takes a skin, adds a small modification to it then promotes it as his own work, that is very bad practice.
I don't think people mind their public skins being used for others, as thats what they made them for.
another question...i found somewhere in some forum or website, i dont' remember well, a beautiful skin for LX4, but this is not uploaded to the lfsworld and so people doesn't see it.... so...i suppose, i can't upload it by myself
Aside from Copyright issues, my opinion is I'd never use any skin that I didn't make myself unless I asked the originator or I found it on a forum that they said "this skin is released for public use." Master Skinnerz is a great place for that. Many excellent skins released for the public. As for modifying them, you MUST ask permission. I wouldn't modify anything on a skin except the possible name or car number, ie, all my skins usually have "NightHawk" on them with a graphic of a hawk type, same as my avatar. It's my personalizing of my car. I also use the number 83, why I don't know. It's just a coincidence that my name came from my Honda Nighthawk I ride and the fact that it's a 1983 model. Number 83 is just the car I happened to select to use in NR2002/2003 before I found LFS. If you need to modify anything more than removing an identification name, then make your own skin.
ARGH!

I can understand that if someone is new they wont know about public and personal skins. But then after I have explained about public and personal skins they still use MY personals skin anyway!

:mad:
Hey i just read this Thread and it brings up a question to me. Are original skins of real race cars copyrighted? Cause there are many copies of race car skins in race sims so would be interesting to know Not that a racing team would bother with so little things but it's only out of interest.
HAHAHAHA , as a skinner for many teams and stuff, you cant stop or say what is copywrite on skins cus it wont work for a racing sim.

With a replication of a real car there kinda is a deal there cus its not ur design. I normally do fully made up skin designs but the skin i did for the FZ50 for CAPA Performance , making the CAPA Drift team car i rang up the real team ( cus i know sum ppl) and asked if it was ok and they said yeh sure its fine oh btw we can Email u out the team decals and fonts and everything ( which were about 2500x 3200 pixels so it made skinning the car shitloads easier. well any ways thought id share dat with yas all .
Cheers.
#15 - Jakg
Quote from oppolo :another question...i found somewhere in some forum or website, i dont' remember well, a beautiful skin for LX4, but this is not uploaded to the lfsworld and so people doesn't see it.... so...i suppose, i can't upload it by myself

if you have the skin file you can upload it yourself by going to the LFS world desktop
yeh ur not editing or modifying it dont see why u cant upload it.
We need a list on lfsworld where you can enter the skin filename and get the user to contact

Could even be anonymous

vic?
skin "abuse"...
hi everyone!

this is my first post in this forum. i use lfs for about 2 month and i love this game. i told a two friends of lfs and they baught an s2 license (each) also.
that was when i decidet to make a "team-skin" for us (bikini-bottom-racing-team: mrkrabs, patrick star, spongebob (me)).

yesterday i´ve been on a server and saw that someone was using my (spongebob) skin (on a fox). i have to confess that i was realy upset and i didnt like to see that!

when i startet with the idea of an own skin, i had NO idea how a car skin is done, i had to read in the forum, download gimp, learn how to use it collect the jpeg-"material" all over the internet and i spend about 30-40 hours until the final versions of my skins...

i dont want to see another racer using my skin - even when there was no private-"message" on the uploaded jpeg (perhaps i should fix that soon!).

if someone would ask, i perhaps would send him a modified, or somehow personalized version - but i dont want to see someone else drive "my" car...
Posting in the forum won't help stop skin abuse, if you see someone using your skin the first thing to do is to speak to them politley, they may not be aware of what they are doing, if they refuse to change skins then you could speak to the devs if it really bothers you but a rant won't get you anywhere.
#20 - Gunn
Quote from ajp71 :... if they refuse to change skins then you could speak to the devs if it really bothers you ...

Please don't bother the Devs with such things, they can't stop a person wearing a skin.

This isn't a copyright issue either.
Put a note on the skin saying it is for team use. The best that can be done is to try to educate people.
Quote from ajp71 :Posting in the forum won't help stop skin abuse, if you see someone using your skin the first thing to do is to speak to them politley, they may not be aware of what they are doing, if they refuse to change skins then you could speak to the devs if it really bothers you but a rant won't get you anywhere.

yes i agree, this post wont avoid that in future (at least it did one time for the opener of this thread...) but i also would not contact the devs - even it bothers me. i´d rather stop skinning in future if it sets me up too much!

and i spoke to the guy who was driving around with my skin but he didnt responded. i tried it two times in the ingame chat. there were only 4 or 5 cars in a qualyfiing so i guess he had time to read. but he did nothing.
then i wanted to send him a mail via the lfs-desktop but his "ingame" name was not the one he was registered in lfs, so i could not do that...

a few days ago he connected to a server i was allready on and i saw his real lfs-name. as i wanted to send him a mail i recogniced that this guy was from hungary - so perhaps he dont understand english at all.

skins - copyright?
(21 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG