The online racing simulator
#1 - J@tko
Kyoto 250 Pre-Race Discussion
Yes - I know it's ages away yet but I thought that I'd get a thread sorted now.

Following a little practice yesterday, I reckon that there'll be two defining factors to the race:
  1. Tyre management
  2. That darn Turn 3!
I think that you'll be going 50-60 laps on a set of tyres, so you'll spend a bit of time in the pits too.
Stock car racing is a full contact sport. Marshalls need to keep that in mind. Turn 3 is not a big deal, people just need to remember to let of on the throttle. (This is assuming we are racing the XRT)

Also, do we need to implement that FM rule of "passing on the inside only"? I heard it's unnecessary because it is possible to pass on the outside.
#3 - J@tko
Quote from lizardfolk :Also, do we need to implement that FM rule of "passing on the inside only"? I heard it's unnecessary because it is possible to pass on the outside.

Get onto NrtlBrnRacer about that one. He's doing the rules.
Quote from J@tko :I think that you'll be going 25-30 laps on a set of tyres, so you'll spend a bit of time in the pits too.

This isn't entirely accurate.

We ran a 50 lap run today on one set of tires, and they still had a good amount of laps left in them as well.
I suggest we have a competition yellow like in real life (there'll be a pace car situation and cars have a mandatory pitstop around lap 100 or so). That way we can have the entire field come down to the pits to simulate a real stock car style pit stops.

Only 1 competition yellow would be fine
#6 - J@tko
Quote from Falcon140 :This isn't entirely accurate.

We ran a 50 lap run today on one set of tires, and they still had a good amount of laps left in them as well.

They last 20 with my driving

Edited original post.

Quote from lizardfolk :I suggest we have a competition yellow like in real life (there'll be a pace car situation and cars have a mandatory pitstop around lap 100 or so). That way we can have the entire field come down to the pits to simulate a real stock car style pit stops.

Is that what happens? If so, then we'll implement it.
I think we will have many yellows, because of the 30 car field, sothat i don't see the sense of adding a mandatory pitstop for keeping the field close. Who ever does not go to pits during a caution, is stupid... (that is my opinion)
Quote from lizardfolk :I suggest we have a competition yellow like in real life (there'll be a pace car situation and cars have a mandatory pitstop around lap 100 or so). That way we can have the entire field come down to the pits to simulate a real stock car style pit stops.

As far as I know, competition cautions are only for when situations require it, such as the officails are unsure as to how the tyres will wear (example, after a massive rainstorm the night before) and such like that.

jp
Quote from lizardfolk :
Also, do we need to implement that FM rule of "passing on the inside only"? I heard it's unnecessary because it is possible to pass on the outside.

This is completely logical rule...and also you can pass outside when he is a lot slower than you...just when coming out from draft and you try to pass outside...that makes no sense, you only slow yourself down and are not able to hold distance with racers coming from back who are making proper drafting(for an example)
Quote from -NightFly- :This is completely logical rule...and also you can pass outside when he is a lot slower than you...just when coming out from draft and you try to pass outside...that makes no sense, you only slow yourself down and are not able to hold distance with racers coming from back who are making proper drafting(for an example)

I was told (and I actually saw it happen to me) that you can effectively pass on the outside if the person knows how to do it. We should look into this
believe me when I say that if there is two good ovaldrafters coming behind doing proper drafting they will reduce distance when u making few outside passes...just that I think u should be abel to do this but going inside is a alot faster way.

and main oval rule should still be : "don't block inside lane"
Quote from -NightFly- :believe me when I say that if there is two good ovaldrafters coming behind doing proper drafting they will reduce distance when u making few outside passes...just that I think u should be abel to do this but going inside is a alot faster way.

and main oval rule should still be : "don't block inside lane"

I think it's up to who ever's making the rules. My suggestion is to have a drivers meeting about the extent of blocking. I.E. if they are within a said amount (like about .5 seconds off of you) then you have to give way, otherwise blocking is fine or something like that
I think the "give up the inside line" rule is a joke. If the car behind you can't get to the inside of you before the turn then he doesn't deserve the spot, simple as that.
... hmmm "don't block the inside line"... this is a rule, only for fun races on public servers, not for a serious competition.
I don't think that there is any rule like that in NASCAR or IRL...
You're gaining the momentum to pass by racing in the slipstreem. If the overtaker is on the left of you, you have to let him pass. Ovals are just simplified circuit tracks (which doesn't mean that the races are easy) so there have to be the same rules.
Quote from LFSn00b :I agree with TFalke, i watched NASCAR once, and saw a lot of blocking :/

Also what about the bumpdrafting? what if lag hits and takes out the whole field because of bumpdrafting?

(if i will attend the event, you are freely allowed to bumpdraft me)

like in UFOC you'll have to wear the sticker on your back
Oh NO NO NO NO NOOOO!!!!!!!

NASCAR and IRL doesnt have that rule. but blocking in NASCAR and IRL is common place and passing on the outside is common as well.
Just leave the decisions to the drivers (except the blocking which IMO should not be allowed until 10 laps to go or so?), if the overtaking car wants to pass on the outside, then the lead car should give him room. Whether he loses speed to cars behind is a problem that he will have to deal with.
Are there going to be full course cautions for this? Because I think that will make the race take FOREVER. While I like the realism aspect of it, I can't say that I want to spend 4-5 hours for this race. The lack of spotters is going to cause accidents, and I say we just keep going and let people get back to the pits on the apron.
I advise everyone to get a friend of him watching the race on LFS remote, and inform him over Teamspeak / Skype / Ventrillio, what happenes, because it won't be possible to get 70 people on the server.

There will be full course cautions... But I doubt it would take 4 h to end the race, because I doubt the full course cautions stay for more then 3 laps. (my thoughts, without looking at the reglement)
250 Logo:

I made 2 different color versions, but if you want something different, just say so.
Attached images
k250base.jpg
k250base2.jpg
Quote from Falcon140 :250 Logo:

I made 2 different color versions, but if you want something different, just say so.

Superb
Quote from Falcon140 :250 Logo:

Error:

You can't have a "1st Annual."

Switch to "inagural"

It's incorrect as 1st Annual.

Otherwise, the logo is great.
Quote from dekojester :Error:

You can't have a "1st Annual."

Switch to "inagural"

It's incorrect as 1st Annual.

Otherwise, the logo is great.

Yea you can..

They have it everywhere.
Quote from Falcon140 :Yea you can..

They have it everywhere.

It's technically incorrect.

It's not annual with a first occurence.

It's mostly considered right by people because of the misuse.

Inagural sounds better anyway, than 1st annual.

d
It might be technically incorrect but where would you put Inagural? How the logo is made, it doesn't really allow that (I don't know tbh, I have seen both alot, so it doesn't bother me too much).

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG