The online racing simulator
Multi-Platform wheel.
(15 posts, started )
Multi-Platform wheel.
Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with using racing wheels on both the PC and PS3. Ive looked through this forum/the web in general but havent really found anything of much help.

I have been playing LFS primarily with a Xbox 360 controller but using it leaves me struggling to keep my turning precise (Its generally over sensitive - or not sensitive enough and wont do a full turn, depending on how I set it up). Even with this, I was enjoying the process enough to get an S2 licence ... but I think its time I got a wheel.

I also play racing games on my PS3 (F1:CE & GT5 eventually hopefully) so would like a wheel that will work on both platforms. I have looked on the internet all over the place, and manufacturers seem very cagey about saying what will and wont work outside of what is officially supported.

The wheels (and price range) I was looking at were:

Formula Force Ex:
http://www.logitech.com/index. ... /devices/270&cl=gb,en

or at a stretch:

Driving Force Ex:
http://www.logitech.com/index. ... devices/3833&cl=gb,en

Can anyone confirm or comment on either or theses compatability with both platforms? it would be much appreciated. Many thanks.
Quote from Dougeh :Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with using racing wheels on both the PC and PS3. Ive looked through this forum/the web in general but havent really found anything of much help.

I have been playing LFS primarily with a Xbox 360 controller but using it leaves me struggling to keep my turning precise (Its generally over sensitive - or not sensitive enough and wont do a full turn, depending on how I set it up). Even with this, I was enjoying the process enough to get an S2 licence ... but I think its time I got a wheel.

I also play racing games on my PS3 (F1:CE & GT5 eventually hopefully) so would like a wheel that will work on both platforms. I have looked on the internet all over the place, and manufacturers seem very cagey about saying what will and wont work outside of what is officially supported.

The wheels (and price range) I was looking at were:

Formula Force Ex:
http://www.logitech.com/index. ... /devices/270&cl=gb,en

or at a stretch:

Driving Force Ex:
http://www.logitech.com/index. ... devices/3833&cl=gb,en

Can anyone confirm or comment on either or theses compatability with both platforms? it would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

I suggest you to go for a DFP which is (despite what is said both on logitech site and on wheel's package) both for PC and PS3.It surely is better than the two you said in your post,i have it and i love it.
Just FYI you can get a DFP for £65 here. Not much more than the RRP on the better of those two wheels, and it's got up to 900-degree rotation. The full 900 is a bit useless, but it's nice to be able to set it to more than 270 (which is all you'll get from those other two).
Quote from harjun :or for £50 of e-bay...brand new

Got mine used (but is as new,really) for 60€ with GTL and GTR as well.
they are £55 with £10 P&P
If you cant afford G25 then it's DFP all the way.

Forget the Driving Force EX and Formula force EX, it really is worth the little bit extra for the DFP, which is a far better setup.
Thanks for the replies guys - I'll definately try get the DFP - especially as it is only a little bit more expensive than the two wheels I mentioned in my OP.
Quote from Dougeh :Thanks for the replies guys - I'll definately try get the DFP - especially as it is only a little bit more expensive than the two wheels I mentioned in my OP.

Trust me,you won't regret it.If you buy it used,try to get a rev. B
cause its the latest and the best,and has bit of problems fixed from the rev. A about the pots in the pedals.
Quote from IlGuercio :If you buy it used,

Don't buy a used wheel. They're not the sturdiest of peripherals to begin with (although the DFP with Rev.B pedals is pretty reliable) so you don't want some other random clown hammering it for a few months before you get hold of it.

Just buy a new one and save yourself the worry.
I bought my friends Driving Force from the GT3 days when we were hoping GT4 came out in the next 3 years for 20 us dollars. Been working ever since, not a problem. Works great for me with LFS.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Don't buy a used wheel. They're not the sturdiest of peripherals to begin with (although the DFP with Rev.B pedals is pretty reliable) so you don't want some other random clown hammering it for a few months before you get hold of it.

Just buy a new one and save yourself the worry.

Really depends on HOW it was used...
Quote from IlGuercio :Really depends on HOW it was used...

It doesn't matter, because you'll never know. Unless you've had a chance to use it before you buy it, it could be completely knackered. The first wheel I bought was "reconditioned" and it never worked properly.
Just a quick note again to thank everyone who made suggestions. The DFP I ordered arrived about an hour ago. Its absolutely great - the control I have compared to using a controller ... no comparison. The fun and actually experience of driving too ... no comparison.

Superb, thanks guys.
Quote from Dougeh :The DFP I ordered arrived about an hour ago. Its absolutely great - the control I have compared to using a controller ... no comparison. The fun and actually experience of driving too ... no comparison.

Great Enjoy. See you in track sometime.

Multi-Platform wheel.
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG