The online racing simulator
New To LFS, and I've got questions
(27 posts, started )
New To LFS, and I've got questions
Hey all. Im loving the game so far (had it about a week) and I was wondering about a few things.

I've improved quite a bit in the last week, and can now do a 136 on BL in the XFG (not consistently, but thats my pb). My question is about S2. Is there average/slow players in s2, or is it all people who can get fast lap times. I love to race people, but when they are 2-3 seconds faster then me a lap, it makes the race sort of one sided I'm serisouly considering upgrading (and possibly replacing my logitech formula force from 2000 ) but don't want to if I would get creamed all the time. i understand I would get better, but I never see myself as a top tier driver.

Second is something not really that important, but is there something special about making your name colourfull that I don't get how to do. I read that you just use the ^number to do it, but it doesnt seem to work for me.

Thanks!

Onomat
There are drivers of all different skill levels in S2. You will certainly find many drivers that are as fast/slow as you.

You can select colours by pressing Ctrl when you are in the screen where you can type your name.
There are plenty slow racers in S2 - probably even more so than in the demo, if you consider how the skill gets spread out on all the different available track/car combos.

When writing your name in that box, I think you should be able to press Ctrl making a colour chooser appear and letting you switch the codepage (font type).
I'd say, from my experience, most people on S2 that I've raced with, including me, get about 1:35 average in a given race at blackwood, while driving the XFG or XRG. It's not too difficult once you get the hang of it. Also, there are more tracks in S2, so there are a wider range of skill levels. All/most of the good people on demo are that fast because blackwood is the only track, so they're sort of specialized.
#5 - Woz
Quote from Onomat :Hey all. Im loving the game so far (had it about a week) and I was wondering about a few things.

I've improved quite a bit in the last week, and can now do a 136 on BL in the XFG (not consistently, but thats my pb). My question is about S2. Is there average/slow players in s2, or is it all people who can get fast lap times. I love to race people, but when they are 2-3 seconds faster then me a lap, it makes the race sort of one sided I'm serisouly considering upgrading (and possibly replacing my logitech formula force from 2000 ) but don't want to if I would get creamed all the time. i understand I would get better, but I never see myself as a top tier driver.

Second is something not really that important, but is there something special about making your name colourfull that I don't get how to do. I read that you just use the ^number to do it, but it doesnt seem to work for me.

Thanks!

Onomat

There are all levels of skill on the servers. I have raced 20+ lap races and seen many finish yet join another server and even if you are the slowest driver in a 5 lap sprint you will still place 1st as long as you finish.

I would say out and out speed should not be your main concern. I tend to drive at a pace where I can keep my tyres green over a long duration instead of out and out speed.

Even though I am "off pace" compared to the aliens out there I still get podiums. The best tip I can give is aim to finish EVERY race you start, even if it costs you pace.

You only really drive fast when you can put in the same pace lap after lap.

So no, don't be put off
Quote from Woz :....... and even if you are the slowest driver in a 5 lap sprint you will still place 1st as long as you finish.

not totally agree with this one because almost everytime I tried a race against people the same speed or slight faster than me, I would have been able to finish 1st because of a mistake they have made but every time they kept restarting the race before it ends it was kind of frustrating especially when they do it just before the end of the last lap!
Quote from Uncle Rooster :not totally agree with this one because almost everytime I tried a race against people the same speed or slight faster than me, I would have been able to finish 1st because of a mistake they have made but every time they kept restarting the race before it ends it was kind of frustrating especially when they do it just before the end of the last lap!

Ohh, how annoying.

I don't know if CTRA is your thing at all, but it's certainly worth a try. I cant remember the last time a vote restart happened. It's really not the done thing. (well, not on the higher servers anyway. I haven't raced on race1 so I'm not sure if it happens there.)
Quote from The Moose :Ohh, how annoying.

I don't know if CTRA is your thing at all, but it's certainly worth a try. I cant remember the last time a vote restart happened. It's really not the done thing. (well, not on the higher servers anyway. I haven't raced on race1 so I'm not sure if it happens there.)

To be honest, I'm little shy about joining CTRA because I know I'm still a noob with "the ethical code of real and LFS races" and I'm affraid doing something wrong (mistakes) and disturb the ones who take it very seriously.....
#9 - J@tko
Don't worry about your speed mate. Some of the demo drivers are about as good if not better than the best S2 drivers. There's plenty of average/noobish drivers (like me!!) in S2. the more to race against, the merrier.
Quote from Uncle Rooster :To be honest, I'm little shy about joining CTRA because I know I'm still a noob with "the ethical code of real and LFS races" and I'm affraid doing something wrong (mistakes) and disturb the ones who take it very seriously.....

Really, just dive in The whole idea is that you will start out with other drivers of an equal standard. I'm sure its a bit ruff and ready in the beginners servers, but as long as you have half decent car control and awareness of what's going on around you you will be more than fine.
You wont get a bunch of spoiled brats restarting every 2 mins because they cant win, that much is certain.

Once you move up a licence level the racing and driving standard is generally much better.

It's got to be worth a shot
Quote from Uncle Rooster :To be honest, I'm little shy about joining CTRA because I know I'm still a noob with "the ethical code of real and LFS races" and I'm affraid doing something wrong (mistakes) and disturb the ones who take it very seriously.....

There's nothing to be worried about as long as you don't drive like a complete muppet. The rules are there to try and improve the experience for everyone on the servers, 'n00b' or not.

You're bound to get some contact in the close racing the slower cars provide, but as long as you are respectful to your fellow racers, and admit to fault if it's blatantly yours (and give up any gained positions) then you will fit in just fine.
It's not the speed that worries me the most, it's the fact of accidentally ramming someone being unaware where and how close are the other cars to me, when passing or being passed..... I'm not always aware of where the race line exactly is if it is not being turned on with '4'th key
... and find it hard to know who as the priority, what you are allowed to do or not.... and it goes very quickly, if I don't look beside of my car I hit someone, and if I look long enough to judge the situation, I end up loosing control because I was not looking where I'm going....
Quote from Uncle Rooster :It's not the speed that worries me the most, it's the fact of accidentally ramming someone being unaware where and how close are the other cars to me, when passing or being passed..... I'm not always aware of where the race line exactly is if it is not being turned on with '4'th key
... and find it hard to know who as the priority, what you are allowed to do or not.... and it goes very quickly, if I don't look beside of my car I hit someone, and if I look long enough to judge the situation, I end up loosing control because I was not looking where I'm going....

You certainly seem to have the right attitude, just get on there and race as you normally would.

If it is a track that you don't know then just spectate for a while, practice offline for a bit, or join after the race has started...you can't join midrace until the leader has crossed the first split on lap 2, and remember not to interfere with anyone actually racing.

The rules about overlap and corner rights are quite clear, the more you race, the more you instinctively get to know when to fight and when to yield...both aspects are equally important IMO.
Quote from The Moose :
Once you move up a licence level the racing and driving standard is generally much better.

It would be even better if tracks don't change every 15 minutes
It's a shame, every time i joined STCC/CTRA servers i did it cause i saw a combo i liked. Then after a race (or two if i'm extremely lucky) the track changes.. And it's always, ALWAYS the frickin' Fern Bay!.. every time i decide to jump in.. Then my adrenaline level drops to -15 and i disconnect..
What's the point with that, why can't they, why oh why, stick to one combo just for a DAY? just that one day when I find a time to jump in..
Aarrghhh, sorry, i gotta went off some steam now and then about CTRA system, that is aside of that track changes, great..
I'll give it a try then!
Everyone was a "noob" when he raced for the first times...but try to race at a good pace,learning the car and the track and most important try to finish as much races as you can.Also try not to crash often,cause players may get annoyed.Before you try a combo,take a bit of your time and try it on single player.That'll give you an idea of how a race has to be done.Of course there isn't so much fun racing against AI,so when you feel ready join a server and try to be as consistent as you can.The rest (PB's,wins) will come all by itself.
Quote from Boris Lozac :It would be even better if tracks don't change every 15 minutes

The fact that tracks change every 2 hours is one of the reasons i love it.
It teaches you to drive all circuits, not the same old combo.

A whole day of one track and I'd be off of CTRA forever.
Quote from The Moose :It teaches you to drive all circuits, not the same old combo.

A whole day of one track and I'd be off of CTRA forever.

It would teach you the same if it changes every day, wouldn't it?
It's like a showroom or something, a presentation.. it's not serious. Something i would do to show someone what LFS is all about, present him with various combos, etc, but it's not for racing IMO.. You get used to one combo, finaly make your way to the top, you find your rhytm, and boom, track changes.. But who am i saying these things to, the cruising-cops and robers-oval loving community..
Quote from Onomat :Is there average/slow players in s2, or is it all people who can get fast lap times.

Have a look at the Beginner Cup, organised by J@tko. Series 1 is full just now, but you may get in as a reserve.
So I gave in and bought s2

I'm going to start to race on the ctra servers, anyone have a listing of the tracks/cars, or is it random or what?

I want to get some practice offline first...as some of the new cars are easy to drive, and some I can't make it ten feet without spinning out.

Oh, and thanks for all the advice!
Good job

CTRA Race1 server is XFG and XRG
Single seater 1 is FBM

There is a track list somewhere, but i cant find it.
Quote from AndroidXP :There are plenty slow racers in S2 - probably even more so than in the demo, if you consider how the skill gets spread out on all the different available track/car combos.

Lies! People are fast in S2. It seems that usually you'll have 80% of the field within 3 seconds of a recognized fast lap time.
Quote from Mattesa :Lies! People are fast in S2. It seems that usually you'll have 80% of the field within 3 seconds of a recognized fast lap time.

Being within 3 seconds of a fast lap time isn't fast.

I would say that everything within 1 second of the WR is "fast".
Quote from zeugnimod :Being within 3 seconds of a fast lap time isn't fast.

Maybe not for you it isn't.
#25 - Woz
Quote from Uncle Rooster :not totally agree with this one because almost everytime I tried a race against people the same speed or slight faster than me, I would have been able to finish 1st because of a mistake they have made but every time they kept restarting the race before it ends it was kind of frustrating especially when they do it just before the end of the last lap!

You got a bad server with some morons tbh. I hate people that call restart once they off.

Can't think the number of races I have won in the past because of driver mistakes in other drivers.

Just worry about being consistent at first, not speed. You are far far faster 2 seconds off pace if you don't off compared to being on pace and having an off.

I always laugh at T1 madness and normally hold back slightly because too many people still believe that T1 is the race

Sounds like you have the right attitude for CTRA but also when you find a good server with friendly people remember it. You will soon get a list of 5-10 fav servers where you know you will get a good race.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG