How often do you run a virus scan?
(33 posts, started )

Poll : How often do you run a virus scan?

Random times.
Never
Every week
Every month
Every day
Every year
Every 2 days
Every 3 days
Every 4 days
Every 5 days
Every 6 days
What program do you use too?

I run a virus scan almost every night with Ad-Aware, Spybot, Norton Anti-Virus and Microsoft Anti-spyware. I like to keep my comp healthy
never i've only run adaware twice since i got firefox, and never found a thing

however, i did find this great free program called ccleaner which seems to keep all that nasty stuff out too, it has whats called an immunization feature

now before all those people that are start posting about how much of an idiot i am for not having anything well.. owell lol say all you want, but i dont have any virus's or anything, i promise you that
#3 - JTbo
I do have Avast antivirus, it is free and much better than most of commercial products. Then I use Firefox 1.0.7 (1.5 sucks) so practically I don't get any spyware, I do check them with Ewido, Lavasoft Adaware, Spybot, Spysweeper, mostly byt rather rarely now compared to when I still used Internet explorer.

My computer does automatic runs every now and then too so I feel like being safe, oh yes I have hardware firewall too, that is one great thing.
Never - Got NOD32 running all the time.
I scan at random. I really am just very careful at what I get my hands on. I used to get some viruses quite often just from opening files or browsing some crappy sites with IE. But since then, Firefox has rarely shown any signs on spyware, if I scan with Microsoft's AntiSpyware, Adaware, and Spybot. Those are the only programs I will occassionally scan with. But I don't use them often. I never liked having Virus programs installed on my system, I do notice a performance difference, and everytime I thought I would have a virus and installed AV, I never had a virus. So basically all I use to scan for viruses is the TrendMicro Online Virus Scan. It is very good, and all I really need.
#6 - JTbo
Quote from Tweaker :I scan at random. I really am just very careful at what I get my hands on. I used to get some viruses quite often just from opening files or browsing some crappy sites with IE. But since then, Firefox has rarely shown any signs on spyware, if I scan with Microsoft's AntiSpyware, Adaware, and Spybot. Those are the only programs I will occassionally scan with. But I don't use them often. I never liked having Virus programs installed on my system, I do notice a performance difference, and everytime I thought I would have a virus and installed AV, I never had a virus. So basically all I use to scan for viruses is the TrendMicro Online Virus Scan. It is very good, and all I really need.

Have you tested Avast ?

It is very very light, imo. Also very effective.
practically never ... it maybe adds up to about once a year ... never had a virus in some 10 years
Never.. I have Avast but it's disbled all the time. Still updates more than once a day on occasions :S
I voted random, because I only scan when I think I have a problem. I've never gotten a virus (* knock's on wood:smash, but I have had spyware and hijacker problems before. I'm only dialup, so I don't have an always on connection. I don't have anything running realtime, but I have PestPatrol, Spybot-Search and Destory, Spyhunter, SpywareBlaster, cwshredder, System Mechanic, and the free AGV or whatever that free antivirus program is, all in my arsenal. Really, the only 3 things I have on the PC that I do anything with is LFS, MSFS9 and now I'm testing Racer out. I have an 80 gig drive partitioned separately for Windows, installed software, games, and downloads/data. So if anything real nasty would happen, I'd just wack windows and reinstall it. Simple and I don't have much that would need to be reinstalled as far as software is concerned.
#10 - DR3W
Well i did have free AVG but i went to install Norton to day and it made me deleat AVG. Then Norton got annoing cus i blocked are loptop and all.
But wen i hade AVG i did a scan evry other night be for i hit the sack.

Im geting ready to Install Webroot Spy Sweeper. We got it free and Norton 06 with laptop!
Scanning about once a week, sometimes less (only my C:\ drive which contains only Windows). Using AntiVir and updating the reference files a few times a week, mostly just after booting, when Im going to bring my breakfast to the computer
I do a quick system scan with AVG Pro every Monday morning. Every few months I leave it on to do a detailed system scan. I now only run AdAware maybe once or twice a year, and it never finds anything.
Since I've owned my own computer I've never had a virus I run random scans when my computers on and its not doing anything.

I'm behind a firewall in my router. I also have that symantec security package which is great and microsoft antispyware. Symantec probaly does clog up the system but I can't afford to lose any of my work on here so it's best to be safe than sorry

Keiran
Norton - automatic scan every monday at 12
... if my pc is turned on at that time that is.
I used to have NAV running, but after 18 months I realised I only ever got virii from email, so I just turn on my spam filter and haven't used anti-virus software since. I just seem to be slowing down my system for no practical reason.

However I would never go on the net without a firewall, ZoneAlarm has blocked a whopping 10 thousand access attempts since I reinstalled windows LAST WEEK. I can practically watch the counter ticking up...
Quote from Bob Smith :However I would never go on the net without a firewall, ZoneAlarm has blocked a whopping 10 thousand access attempts since I reinstalled windows LAST WEEK. I can practically watch the counter ticking up...

and i bet youve got no idea what that number actually means or you would have uninstalled zone alarm a long time ago
Quote from Shotglass :and i bet youve got no idea what that number actually means or you would have uninstalled zone alarm a long time ago

Well, not really, no, but the numbers never used to be high at all until I moved back in with my parents...
MacAfee firewall + antivirus (ignore privacy + spam bit, they're useless, time consuming and slow your computer down)

Scan approx once a month and every file I don't trust (unfortunatley this includes LFS addons as it has been evident not all of them can be trusted).
Quote from Bob Smith :Well, not really, no, but the numbers never used to be high at all until I moved back in with my parents...

anyway a desktop firewall will never rescue you from a real attack since it runs on a far too high osi level ... and nobody would ever put the amount of work a real attack costs into attacking some random internetuser ... so all of those are most likely simple port scans

maybe your parents use a more popular isp with a more widely used ip range ?
Quote from Shotglass :maybe your parents use a more popular isp with a more widely used ip range ?

Yep, seems entirely feasable. I'd still rather have something running than nothing at all though.
ZoneAlarm - Best and easiest firewall there is
Avast antivirus - Has never let me down
Ad Aware - Just to be sure

This protection doesn't cost a thing when it's for personal use. It's also very system friendly and doesn't eat up resources like those other heavy products on the market.
I use - Avast! anti-virus
SP2 built-in firewall
Ad-aware
Spybot S&D
Spywareblaster

I scan for virii twice a week and run Ad-aware and Spybot every night before bed.

I use Firefox 1.5 (MUCH better than 1.0.7) and Thunderbird 1.0.6
I virtually never do a virus scan, don't have any anti-virus software on my system. If you know what your doing things like Norton are just pointless resource hogs.
Quote from zorrofox :I scan for virii twice a week and run Ad-aware and Spybot every night before bed.

sweet jesus ! why would you go through all this hassle ? anytime i ran one of those two they never found anything except alexa and a few cookies (except that one time i was in a tired yeah yeah just shut the hell up mood and accidentally clicked on yes while closing a whole bunch of popups)
Depends on the box tbh. My server gets an on-demand scan at 3am (clamav), followed by chkrootkit, rkhunter, etc. whilst the desktop gets scanned randomly.

(33 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG